going afloat

Dibbo

Featured Posts

Hi Folks, an old topic, I'm sure, but just new folks to say it. House sold( touch wood) , so we're moving house to a moving house !!. We're busy clearing out nearly everything we own, but never use and then we go looking for a new life afloat.

As usual, everyone we know ( near enough) thinks we're mental, are we?, i bloody well hope not as it's a bit late.......

Dibbo and Julie

Hi Folks, an old topic, I'm sure, but just new folks to say it. House sold( touch wood) , so we're moving house to a moving house !!. We're busy clearing out nearly everything we own, but never use and then we go looking for a new life afloat.

As usual, everyone we know ( near enough) thinks we're mental, are we?, i bloody well hope not as it's a bit late.......

Dibbo and Julie

Yep, sounds like its too late now! What fun having a good clear out.

Seriously though, I hope you enjoy your new life. There is nothing wrong with being mental :cheers:

Jo.

We are getting there, we hope.

But the one question we have never had answered, is what happens when we are too old to die young.

Does the local council (wherever we may be) have any obligation to a non local tax paying itinerent ditch crawler?

Jim

Whetever the situation is now, it may well not be in ten or twenty years' time, so I wouldn't bank on it.

But the one question we have never had answered, is what happens when we are too old to die young.

Does the local council (wherever we may be) have any obligation to a non local tax paying itinerent ditch crawler?

Jim

I'm open to correction on this but I would say if you have made yourself 'intentionally homeless' then there is no obligation on the LA to find you accommodation, as to how far a LA would carry this through ultimately seeing and elderly frail couple homeless and on the streets I am not sure.

I'm open to correction on this but I would say if you have made yourself 'intentionally homeless' then there is no obligation on the LA to find you accommodation, as to how far a LA would carry this through ultimately seeing and elderly frail couple homeless and on the streets I am not sure.

I would suggest that the time interval which has occurred between the act of making oneself "intentionally homeless" and seeking help would be relevant.

Sell the house, and ask to be housed a week later may well be taking the piss.

Sell the house in the spring, and ask to be housed in the Autumn, and likewise.

Sell the house, and ask 5 years later, you should be fine.

Jim

I'm at that phase now.

To qualify you would need to be in that council's spot for a minimum of six months, and if you want to be housed, you would need to be housed. I know this sounds stupid, but it is the way the system now works. You need to be at an address to get an address. Even then the address you are at would have to be unsuitable for good reason. Eviction is a good reason.

If you apply from a movable boat that has been in the area for more than six months, you could be housed fairly immediately, as local councils do not accept movable boats as legitimate 'homes'. You would be declared 'Homeless. Living rough'.

However, their obligation is only to give you 'shelter' and that is where you would end up; in an hostel or homeless shelter for six months, so that you can get a local address, and then qualify for a local address!

I wouldn't recommend this route to anyone, unless you would be happy sharing accommodation with alcoholics, street drinkers, drug takers and those needing care in the community because they were booted out of mental hospitals so that Maggie Thatcher could asset strip the land they were built on.

Tone

I was more thinking, whats are the scenario's when we eventually get too decrepid to look after ourselves on the boat, as opposed to making ourselves homeless, were not doing that.

Interesting reply Canaldrifter esp the bit about councils not accepting a moving boat as legitimate home. What if your movable boat is moor at residential moorings???

Jim

Jim

I was more thinking, whats are the scenario's when we eventually get too decrepid to look after ourselves on the boat, as opposed to making ourselves homeless, were not doing that.

Interesting reply Canaldrifter esp the bit about councils not accepting a moving boat as legitimate home. What if your movable boat is moor at residential moorings???

Jim

If you're on official residential moorings you would be paying Council Tax, so the situation might be different anyway.

The Residential Boat Owners' Association may well be a good place to start looking for advice. I have no vested interest, but I have called on them for advice in the past and found them very helpful.

God, we've gone from a nice life away from the hassle of mortgage and the ability to roam free for hopefully the rest of my days to who's job to home us when we're helpless and who's job to bury us when were dead. Mother in law is in hospital, very poorly, has a council flat, so proper member of the comunity, and we're going through just as much hassle trying to find a care home/nursing home for her,all the homes 1st questions seem to be does she have a property, does she have savings, so it doesn't matter who or where you are, no-one's interested unless you have money to pay for it, if i stay in my house, pay it off as my life's investment, then need care, the council will take great delight in selling it to pay for my care.And when I'm dead???? I really don't care where I go, why should I.

Of course, the other way is when I cant take care of myself anymore, sell the boat, use the money to rent for a 6 months, then become homeless, they have to help?

All this doesn't matter cuz i'm still only 46 and tend to look on the bright side.....

God, we've gone from a nice life away from the hassle of mortgage and the ability to roam free for hopefully the rest of my days

Quite envious of you dibbo, well done.

Must get on and finish the house otherwise I shall never sell it.

sorry to have hijacked thread a bit

jim

Thanks Jim, panic has slightly set in at the moment, no worries about the thread change, made me smile a lot.

Dibbo :cheers:

Quite envious of you dibbo, well done.

Must get on and finish the house otherwise I shall never sell it.

sorry to have hijacked thread a bit

jim

The biggest problem can come when the one who handles the boat dies or is ill. He/she needn't be old but the other is left on a boat not able to cope. I seen this several times and it isn't nice.

Sue

Edited by sueb

The biggest problem can come when the one who handles the boat dies. He/she needn't be old but the other is left on a boat not able to cope. I seen this several times and it isn't nice.

Sue

uckin fell Sue...talk about pissing on some bodies parade...

The biggest problem can come when the one who handles the boat dies. He/she needn't be old but the other is left on a boat not able to cope. I seen this several times and it isn't nice.

Sue

I'd agree but...

If it's a loving partnership, this will affect everything wherever you live, could I cope in this house without Val? In the short term, I doubt it...

So stop being so negative :lol:

I'd agree but...

If it's a loving partnership, this will affect everything wherever you live, could I cope in this house without Val? In the short term, I doubt it...

You put it much better..

I'd agree but...

If you can cope with the worst scenario it will work out for you. There were comments about what happens when you can't cope on a boat, it is something that may have to be faced at sometime or other.

Sue

No-one can predict the future...unless you proclaim to be a 'mystic meg'!, so enjoy your life now...

live each day to the full, and face problems as and when they arise instead of spending precious time worrying about them now.

It's exciting to be doing something you really want. I sold my house, bought a shell and am loving every minute of it, (and it's not been plain sailing...s'cuse the pun!)

So.. Good luck Dibbo and Julie..live your dreams and don't let anyone persuade you otherwise :D

• Greenie 2

No-one can predict the future...unless you proclaim to be a 'mystic meg'!, so enjoy your life now...

live each day to the full, and face problems as and when they arise instead of spending precious time worrying about them now.

It's exciting to be doing something you really want. I sold my house, bought a shell and am loving every minute of it, (and it's not been plain sailing...s'cuse the pun!)

So.. Good luck Dibbo and Julie..live your dreams and don't let anyone persuade you otherwise :D

HEAR HEAR

Also bear in mind that when the time comes the solution to a future problem is likely to be very different from the solution that now seems appropriate for that hypothetical problem.

Chertsey's right. I.used to do some Housing advice but haven't for 7 years; I've watched three big shake ups happen from the side lines since then.

It becomes increasingly difficult to foresee most working age people now being able to save enough to provide for themselves in later years such that, to my mind, worrying about it, or trying to anticipate how things will pan out in 20 years is a fool's errand.

HEAR HEAR

Also bear in mind that when the time comes the solution to a future problem is likely to be very different from the solution that now seems appropriate for that hypothetical problem.

And I say hear hear to that. Sufficient unto the day and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thanks for all the replies, just to let you know I'm still here and reading them.We completed yesterday and move out next Thursday.................no going back now. Looking forward to it, tho will kiss our home and more so our neighbours here, who have been lovely, the sort YOU all would want as neighbours. Will stay in touch with them for sure, if onlyfor the constant supply of home made jam,,,,,,

Here we go,,,

Dibbo and Jule's X :cheers: