Lancaster Canal Services

Androo

Featured Posts

Hi,

Hope this is in the right forum.

Just wanted to warn all Ribble Crossers of the problems on the Lancaster Canal.

1)#

Stoppage: Hestbank Service Block

15 Dec 2010 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: North West Waterways

The Elsan disposal and water point has been closed due to the water supply being disconnected by a third party, BW are in negotiation with the local authority to resolve this problem as quickly as possible.

British Waterways apologise for any inconvenience this may cause

(Enquiries: 01942405700)

2)

Restriction: Galgate Marina Service Facilities

10 May 2011 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: North West Waterways

Following vandalism to the service facilities at Galgate Marina, British Waterways Marinas Limited (BWML) has taken the decision to implement the following restrictions:

Toilets and showers will be available to British Waterways customers during operational hours but will only be available to berth holders outside of operational hours.

Elsan will be available to British Waterways’ customers during operational hours but will only be available to berth holders outside of operational hours.

Laundry will be available to BWML berth holders only.

There is a notice board on the service bay which will have a notice on it to advise of the operational hours. As an indication, it is normally 10 am to 2pm Tuesdays through to Saturdays inclusive between April and end September.

Please call BWML on 01257 481054 should you wish to make enquiries regarding these restrictions.

(Enquiries: 01942405700)

Conclusion...(So, there are no facilities whatsoever at Hestbank and this is the nicest part of the canal!!). The facilities are owned by the Council and it is thought that they have been cut because BW haven't paid their water bill!! imagine

The excuse of vandalism at Galgate is a lame excuse as they have CCTV cameras all over the marina!! They British Waterways are slowly changing the facilities over to the BW berth holders who berth there.

It's along way to travel from the main system when 2 of the main services are cut

Edited by Androo

Currently at Garstang. Got the email from Watewrscape re Galgate but the Hest Bank one was so long ago I assumed it was sorted. Thanks for the reminder.

More importantly, none of the boatyards/marinas seem to sell diesel anymore except for Glasson.

Regards

Pete

The decision to reduce the hours of the Galgate services to just 4 hours a day for 5 days is very disappointing. These services are conveniently placed right on the main line and not on a the "marina" as such so will be a big miss. I can't understand the reason to close them to passing boaters outside of these "operating hours" whilst they still remain available to berth holders. A very strange decision.

Very sad, Galgate's a lovely place but the local kids are a bit of a pest.

The facilities at Hest Bank have always been a bit hit and miss, but there's an extra water point just south of the toilet block, near the moorings that aren't beneath the trees, has anyone checked if they're still working?

The facilities at Hest Bank have always been a bit hit and miss, but there's an extra water point just south of the toilet block, near the moorings that aren't beneath the trees, has anyone checked if they're still working?

Perhaps it's all a ploy by BW to keep boats off the canal. If all the boats in marina's and bank side moorings took to the main water at the same time!!!!!.. Theres far, far too many boats for this canal as it is.. An overcrowded ditch. Ooops, a badly maintained overcrowded ditch.

Perhaps it's all a ploy by BW to keep boats off the canal. If all the boats in marina's and bank side moorings took to the main water at the same time!!!!!.. Theres far, far too many boats for this canal as it is.. An overcrowded ditch. Ooops, a badly maintained overcrowded ditch.

Overcrowded!

We have passed 4 moving boats today. That's more than every other day combined since we arrived on the Lancaster a week ago.

Thanks for telling me about Moons Bridge. Going towards Tewitfield at present so will have to get it on the way back. However, did fill my jerrycan at Harrisons depot in Garstang this morning. Only 64p a litre!

Regards

Pete

Currently at Garstang. Got the email from Watewrscape re Galgate but the Hest Bank one was so long ago I assumed it was sorted. Thanks for the reminder.

More importantly, none of the boatyards/marinas seem to sell diesel anymore except for Glasson.

Regards

Pete

There are two depots that sell red diesel at a reasonable price in Garstang.

Emo Oil

Moss Lane, Garstang, Preston, Lancashire PR3 1HE

and Harrisons (both next to each other).

If you are close to the Moss Lane Services you could pop down with a trolley and container for some supplies... (Mon-Fri)

The decision to reduce the hours of the Galgate services to just 4 hours a day for 5 days is very disappointing. These services are conveniently placed right on the main line and not on a the "marina" as such so will be a big miss. I can't understand the reason to close them to passing boaters outside of these "operating hours" whilst they still remain available to berth holders. A very strange decision.

There is another water point North of the lock keepers cottage past the Glasson arm branch but rumor has it that this will be shut down also as it is supposed to be on the same system as the cottage which is on a water meter!!

I assume you are talking about the various waterpoints in the galvanised boxes? if so they are all shut down.

There is supposed to be a waterpoint just North of Bridge 118 but as there are long term moorings here it can mean doubling up if need be..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I share the frustration of canal users 'caught short' in Galgate. I agree that there is seemingly more to these closures than so-called vandalism. Recent months has seen a determined effort to restrict use of facilities to those users labelled 'Grade 3. It seems that the management at Glasson have bent over backwards to create an air of exclusivity for the handful of residential narrowboats berthed there. While it's true that this may no longer matter to the 50 or so Grade 3 users who have been chucked out of the subsiding marina, it's clear that a divisive situation was rapidly evolving. The reidential users added a gate labelled 'PRIVATE'. Chains secured the gates to a massive plot of land available for the parking of their cars and those non-residents who dared to walk through this area were made to feel distinctly unwelcome. A serious side effect of this situation appertains to the route to the local pub and shops which Grade 3 users were forced to use ie.along a thin strip of pavement no more than 2 feet or so wide, straight onto the massively busy A6 - risking death on each and every occasion.I'm glad in a way to have had to leave my mooring - appalled by the attitude of the management at Glasson to the many issues boaters have raised at this hostile location over the years. The final straw came when a friend was recently charged a 'Sale on Berth Fee' of over £200 for a small boat she sold for £650. Glasson commented..'we might have been random in imposing this charge in the past but now intend to do so, based on the value of the boat.The minimum fee of £200 clearly discriminates against those who enjoy the use of a cheap day boat. It's simply scandalous and mean and goes against the ethos which should attach to the enjoyment and use of a canal.

Finally, the so-called restricted hours relevant to the toilet/shower facilities don't apply when they should. I turned up within the stated hours last week to find them closed. Galgate is now a miserable place I intend avoiding if possible. The current site supervisor's response to my dilemma was 'you should have a toilet on your boat' . Shame on you!

I share the frustration of canal users 'caught short' in Galgate. I agree that there is seemingly more to these closures than so-called vandalism. Recent months has seen a determined effort to restrict use of facilities to those users labelled 'Grade 3. It seems that the management at Glasson have bent over backwards to create an air of exclusivity for the handful of residential narrowboats berthed there. While it's true that this may no longer matter to the 50 or so Grade 3 users who have been chucked out of the subsiding marina, it's clear that a divisive situation was rapidly evolving. The reidential users added a gate labelled 'PRIVATE'. Chains secured the gates to a massive plot of land available for the parking of their cars and those non-residents who dared to walk through this area were made to feel distinctly unwelcome. A serious side effect of this situation appertains to the route to the local pub and shops which Grade 3 users were forced to use ie.along a thin strip of pavement no more than 2 feet or so wide, straight onto the massively busy A6 - risking death on each and every occasion.I'm glad in a way to have had to leave my mooring - appalled by the attitude of the management at Glasson to the many issues boaters have raised at this hostile location over the years. The final straw came when a friend was recently charged a 'Sale on Berth Fee' of over £200 for a small boat she sold for £650. Glasson commented..'we might have been random in imposing this charge in the past but now intend to do so, based on the value of the boat.The minimum fee of £200 clearly discriminates against those who enjoy the use of a cheap day boat. It's simply scandalous and mean and goes against the ethos which should attach to the enjoyment and use of a canal.

Finally, the so-called restricted hours relevant to the toilet/shower facilities don't apply when they should. I turned up within the stated hours last week to find them closed. Galgate is now a miserable place I intend avoiding if possible. The current site supervisor's response to my dilemma was 'you should have a toilet on your boat' . Shame on you!

I think there is a worrying issue here about how easy it is for someone in BW to make a decision, seemingly without consultation, to simply close or restrict services on a lame excuse. These Galgate services are excellent and if vandalism is the problem steps should be taken to address that and not just restrict the opening to ridiculous, inconvenient hours.

I wasn't intending wading into this debate because I have to live here but Im saddened by constant bickering about this problem. The opening hours are clearly stated, the elsan emptying point and the toilet and shower use is not charged for, unlike many places on the system. The toilet facility here and its changes of use, timings etc has caused friction. Grade 1 moorers have been asked to not open the toilets after the stated times. I am frequently asked to open the block by displaced boaters who have been used to the free facilities, I have done so on a couple of emergency occasions. (with a plea not to send all and sundry to my boat!) This has caused problems for me with 'management' so Im damned if I do and damned if I don't. This is why I've chosen to reply today, with a plea to redirect any unpleasant grumbling to BWML and not the berth holders. Im unhappy that the glowers and grimaces as boaters pass my boat moored at Galgate makes Marina living not quite as sweet.

"I agree that there is seemingly more to these closures than so-called vandalism"

There is a genuine reason why the facilities have been restricted, and it really isn't because of a 'them and us' situation, may I respectfully suggest you contact BWML to ask for this reason.

"The residential users added a gate labelled 'PRIVATE'."

Many tourists ignore the gate marked Private and wander through to "browse the boats" taking the liberty of sauntering down individual decks and peering into the boats berthed there. How many of them would be happy if a member of the public were to open gates into their own back gardens to 'browse the flower beds' for instance. The costs for mooring in the Grade 1 section at Galgate are considerable, the cost includes a right to security and privacy, the chains also on the main gate stop some but not all of the general public wandering in after visiting the Canal craft centre or the pub close by.

"non-residents who dared to walk through this area were made to feel distinctly unwelcome."

"it's clear that a divisive situation was rapidly evolving."

If anybody is challenged whilst walking through the car park it is next to impossible to make it seem less hostile if folk are expecting it. Most boaters who obviously know the route are unchallenged, but suspected visitors are mildly asked if we can help, not only for our own protection but also to direct them to the on site warden for queries. I respectfully suggest that the hostility you felt may have been mistaken, and in fact hostile glares from such a genuine user can make it unpleasant for the berth holders too. I am weary of asking some, frankly very dubious characters, to stop staring into my window. If I lived on the tow path I would not have the privilege of privacy and would have to accept it.

I share the frustration that the limitations of the services causes, and until the new opening hours are established I have tried to help on occasions, this has meant my own neighbours in the Marina have complained and added their censure to that of management. (one of the hazards of Marina living, sadly!) Please don't add your animosity but talk to BWML about your annoyance.

Im still happy to help in genuine emergencies out of hours but if its just to avoid mooring fees and have a convenient free shower then No Im not opening the toilet block.

Galgate is a great place to live and not "a miserable place" and its a shame you intend to avoid it. I hope folk planning to visit the Lancaster Canal are not put off from doing so.

I think there is a worrying issue here about how easy it is for someone in BW to make a decision, seemingly without consultation, to simply close or restrict services on a lame excuse. These Galgate services are excellent and if vandalism is the problem steps should be taken to address that and not just restrict the opening to ridiculous, inconvenient hours.

The services are owned and maintained by BWML, as far as I understand it arrangements regarding the costs of shared use and repair are in a state of flux, so BWML have restricted the services to the times mentioned. I agree, this is frustrating, but would you expect a right to use a service you hadn't paid for? The facilities are still available free during the hours stated. There is a genuine reason why the facilities have been restricted, may I respectfully suggest you contact BWML to ask them for this reason.

Edited by Chagall

The services are owned and maintained by BWML, as far as I understand it arrangements regarding the costs of shared use and repair are in a state of flux, so BWML have restricted the services to the times mentioned. I agree, this is frustrating, but would you expect a right to use a service you hadn't paid for? The facilities are still available free during the hours stated. There is a genuine reason why the facilities have been restricted, may I respectfully suggest you contact BWML to ask them for this reason.

The reason given on the Waterscape stoppage announcement was clearly stated as "due to vandalism". It sounds then, as if there's more to it than that.

Result!!:

Galgate Marina Service Facilities

Tuesday 10 May 2011 until further notice

UPDATE (15 July 2011): Please be advised that pump out facility at Galgate Marina is now repaired. In addition, the lock to the elsan facility has been changed back to a British Waterways Yale lock to allow British Waterways’ customers use of the elsan, water point and refuse disposal at their convenience.

The toilets and showers will now be available to use Tuesdays through to Saturdays from 10am to 3pm. For the weekend of 16 & 17 July 2011 only, arrangements have been made the toilet and shower facilities to be made available from 10am to 4pm, including Sunday.

Please call BWML on 01257 481054 should you wish to make enquiries regarding these facilities.

----------------------------------------------------