Tunnel Mugs

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

When I started boating in 1982 you could purchase a Tunnel Mug which was a coffee cup with a 'Tunnel' through the base of it, there were several designs describing a number of different tunnels.

I did not buy any at the time as I thought that they were a bit expensive and, being new to boating, a bit naff.

I kind of regret buying any now as, as it turns out, look like they could now be a collectors item.

Does anyone recall them or even still possess one?

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Yes I remember them and yes they were wonderfully naff! I don't think they are still available - were they produced by Audlem Mill?

Here's a picture of one (scroll down to bottom of page)

IIRC there was one for Harecastle and possibly Blisworth and one general tunnel one.

Worth "saving a search" on Ebay I should think.

Paul

When I started boating in 1982 you could purchase a Tunnel Mug which was a coffee cup with a 'Tunnel' through the base of it, there were several designs describing a number of different tunnels.

Perhaps they discontinued them at a time when a certain tunnel was closed for years, having to have a major rebuild ?

They may have piloted an alternate version that replicated the fact it was stanked off at each end, which they then had trouble selling.....

Can you buy an "I've finally made it through Iron Bridge Lock" mug, which features tea pi**ing out of holes in it, nearly as fast as you can fill it ?

Speaking of strange memorabilia, there is a most unusual piece of (alleged) pewter wear on sale locally for an exorbitant amount - £35. The piece is of a narrowboat beside a wharf being loaded with barrels by a Rapier three wheeled crane, part of the load is covered with a tarp. The detail is quite good, though the representation in scale is quite awful. The boat has a cabin almost half the length of the boat and the sides are embossed with roses and castles. The name of the boat is 'Jason' - this is embossed on the hull side just beneath where the anser pin would be. There's a steerer leaning on the tiller, another 'hand' at the fore end handling chains, one more on the bank, and the crane driver. The piece is entitled something like 'Celebrating Heinz at Harlesden'. Were the proportions and representation of the boat more accurate and no damage (steerer and tiller bent over somewhat) I would have been tempted. Pity, because the Rapier and it's gear are pretty good. I'll see if I can get a photo of it if the vendor will allow.

The subject is on a wooden (Teak most like) base with green baize beneath, measuring about ten inches by five.

Anyone have any clues as to what the 'celebration' might have been for? No makers mark to be found, and searching for Heinz memorabilia draws a blank.

Derek

Anyone have any clues as to what the 'celebration' might have been for? No makers mark to be found, and searching for Heinz memorabilia draws a blank.

Apparently when Heinz memorabilia came up on Antiques Roadshow, the expert said it was very difficult to identify or date any given piece....

Apparently there are something like fifty-seven varieties.

(Coat, please!).

I did not buy any at the time as I thought that they were a bit expensive and, being new to boating, a bit naff.

I kind of regret buying any now as, as it turns out, look like they could now be a collectors item.

Does anyone recall them or even still possess one?

Tim

I have one like the one pictured in Paul H's link which I bought on Ebay for next to nothing a few years ago. Its in regular use.

David