Any GOOD maps?

Caprifool

Featured Posts

Regards printed maps, we only ever use the Nicholson guides and Pearsons guides.

Always find the Pearson a good guide for finding where you are quickly on the move, as it is the clearest to read IMHO.

Edited to add even the wife can work out where we are on the Pearson guide so it must be good lol

Edited by muddywaters

What/where are the best online canal maps to your opinion?

Same question about printed maps. The number one "map bible" worth buying?

Printed - we have Nicky's and whilst I would say they are 'good' they are far from excellent as they fast become out of date particularly with pubs opening and closing faster than ever.

I like them because I like to wander away from the canal on foot exploring and they do cover to some degree foot paths and roads near to the canal side.

I now habitually download the boaters guide on Waterscape in pdf format for whatever waterway(s) we are planning to cruise a day or so before we set off - these are useful because they normally contain up to date stoppage and restriction information on the particular water way you want to travel.

We also have a couple of Geo maps for a couple of routes we have done but these can be awkward to handle especially when it's windy!! - the book format of Nicky's or Pearson's is much better.

On line - don't know sorry never really used them (apart from the guides as above)

I actually don't think there is one 'map bible' tbh.

The Richlow Guides are less well known but very good, being written by boaters for boaters. They cover most of the north eastern and Pennine ring routes now, and they are expanding their coverage.

www.richlow.co.uk

Tone

I use the Nicholsons in conjunction with the full OS 1:50,000 which I have on laptop.

I'm about to have a look at the 'Waterway' software to see if that's any good.

My bugbear with Nicholsons is that there is no index as to which page is where, like in road atlases where one of the first pages will have a map of the area the book covers with little squares all over it showing the pages. This means that you need prior knowledge of what is where so you can work out what page to go to. eg: If I want to look at the section of the Severn, I have to find a page with a location on I recognise, and then "walk" pages from there to where I want to be. Very frustrating. this is a picture of me looking all cross. :angry:

I do, however, have a big foldy Collins map of the entire network which I love. Like Chief Dan George's boiled sweet in The Outlaw Jose Wales, it's not to be used, It's just to be looked at. :wub:

My bugbear with Nicholsons is that there is no index as to which page is where, like in road atlases where one of the first pages will have a map of the area the book covers

Hasn't this changed with the newer editions (I have a mix). - I can't check mine are on the boat at the mo.

The newer ones have something very similar from memory. :unsure:

Funny how I learn how I "should" have asked a question after I get a few answers ti my forst very incomplete question. SO much to learn! :blush:

"Nickys" is that a nickname for Nicholson? I might be more interested in the GEO of the canals rather than where the pubs are, at this stage. Since I'm here, still in a nother country trying to figure out the canals, where they go and where they don't.

Maybe a good geo map actualy is what I need?

And thanks for mentioning software. Hadn't tought of that yet.

Edited by Caprifool

Funny how I learn how I "should" have asked a question after I get a few answers ti my forst very incomplete question. SO much to learn! :blush:

"Nickys" is that a nickname for Nicholson? I might be more interested in the GEO of the canals rather than where the pubs are, at this stage. Since I'm here, still in a nother country trying to figure out the canals, where they go and where they don't.

This may be more what you're looking for then?

online waterway map

Tone

Yes it's my nickname for them -

GEO maps are ok but lack detail, Nicky's include navigational notes like - 'keep to the side here' and warnings about things like particularly low bridges - again though sometimes out of date.

A Geo map will cover the basics of where they go and where they don't. But Jim Sheads site Here covers that - click on a water way to get more info. about it.

I do, however, have a big foldy Collins map of the entire network which I love.

Would that be the Collins/Nicholson Inland Waterways Map of Great Britain?

This may be more what you're looking for then?

online waterway map

Tone

Aah.....that one would do me until I get a nice foldy one. Thanks!

Other maps/guides to those above that we also like are:

1. Lockmaster

http://www.lockmaste...mastermaps.html

We find these great when doing a ring. We get the map laminated and then it becomes a souvenir for the trip!

2. First Mate guides

http://www.canalmate.co.uk/

To quote:

The First Mate Guides - for all you need to know about health, wealth, shopping and more within walking distance of the waterways.The only guide with full details of and how to find: dentists, vets, doctors, telephones, shops, banks, post offices, launderettes, post boxes, etc.

Stewey

The latest Nicholsons books do have an overview index which wasn't available in the earlier ones.

My bugbear with Nicholsons is that there is no index as to which page is where, like in road atlases where one of the first pages will have a map of the area the book covers with little squares all over it showing the pages. This means that you need prior knowledge of what is where so you can work out what page to go to. eg: If I want to look at the section of the Severn, I have to find a page with a location on I recognise, and then "walk" pages from there to where I want to be. Very frustrating. this is a picture of me looking all cross. :angry:

Hi,

Waterscape has a number of online maps:

www.waterscape.com/map for the general one. We expose information we either own or have collected at different levels. You can turn a layer off if you think the map is getting cluttered and most icons are clickable to give any further information we might have. To be clear, the waterways shown are the ones that BW maintains, so waterways such as the Thames, Nene etc are not included.

Each waterway (that BW maintains) has one as well, e.g. www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/oxford-canal/map as you zoom in, we expose different types of information .i.e. locks, bridges etc are shown at greater zoom levels.

We also do it by area / town where possible, e.g. www.waterscape.com/in-your-area/leicestershire/foxton/map

As part of the move to a charity we are looking to improve the maps further, so if anyone has comments where you think / want us to make them better (particularly from a boating perspective) then please tell me here so others can also comment. Also, is there anything with the boaters guides that you'd like us to improve / change. We're looking at rolling them out for other audiences such as walkers or cyclists, but is there anything fundamental that you think needs to be on them. They are one of the popular facilities on waterscape and if we can make them more useful then all the better.

Cheers,

Paul

Oooh, if it's "plug your own maps" time... ;)

We do a pull-out cruising guide in Waterways World every month. These include detailed maps of the waterway in question which look like this.

We also include a wall map of the waterway system in the WW Annual. This year's map highlights waterways with shorter locks and navigation authority office boundaries, which I think is a first.

We do a pull-out cruising guide in Waterways World every month. These include detailed maps of the waterway in question which look like this.

We also include a wall map of the waterway system in the WW Annual. This year's map highlights waterways with shorter locks and navigation authority office boundaries, which I think is a first.

Heh! wondered when you'd pop up :)

Png is very nice, was that Illustrator and perl all the way?

Paul

Hi,

Waterscape has a number of online maps:

www.waterscape.com/map for the general one. We expose information we either own or have collected at different levels. You can turn a layer off if you think the map is getting cluttered and most icons are clickable to give any further information we might have. To be clear, the waterways shown are the ones that BW maintains, so waterways such as the Thames, Nene etc are not included.

Each waterway (that BW maintains) has one as well, e.g. www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/oxford-canal/map as you zoom in, we expose different types of information .i.e. locks, bridges etc are shown at greater zoom levels.

We also do it by area / town where possible, e.g. www.waterscape.com/in-your-area/leicestershire/foxton/map

As part of the move to a charity we are looking to improve the maps further, so if anyone has comments where you think / want us to make them better (particularly from a boating perspective) then please tell me here so others can also comment. Also, is there anything with the boaters guides that you'd like us to improve / change. We're looking at rolling them out for other audiences such as walkers or cyclists, but is there anything fundamental that you think needs to be on them. They are one of the popular facilities on waterscape and if we can make them more useful then all the better.

Cheers,

Paul

Firstly, this facility is brilliant and big thanks to waterways for providing it.

Couple of suggestions:

Facilities. I almost never open a canal map unless it's to find out where the nearest tap/elsan point/diesel/coal are. It's the one thing I can't seem to find online, although some of the downloadable .pdfs look promising on this front (had trouble locating one for the stretch we needed, so not sure).

Overlay of the network on the zoomed out big map, to make it easier to get an overview and find the bit you want to zoom in on.

Thanks again for a very nice facility.

If Richard and WW can plug their maps, can we plug our website www.canalbookshop.co.uk, where you will find a very wide selection of canal maps and guides, including harder to find ones such as First Mate (not a canal guide as such, more a facilities guide), and Richlow (Lincolnshire and the north east Midlands/Yorkshire. We also have loads of canal books, probably the widest selection anywhere. Most are also available to callers at our shop, Audlem Mill on the Shroppie.

Nicholsons (I have never heard them referred to as 'Nicky's') are based on OS so are probably good if you are looking for geographical features, although sometimes the detail can overwhelm what you're looking for. It took me ages to get the hang of following one (I am the world's worst at orientation) but I got it in the end and it was worth persevering as it is useful to know when there's a sharp bend coming up for instance. Nicholson's is useless for pubs, it says they're all good even the ones that are utter crap. So take a copy of the Good Beer Guide as well and preferably the phone number of someone who knows the area! (If it hadn't been for this, we might have tried to go to a pub in Middlewich - narrow escape!)

The other guide we have started using is the First Mate guide - not a map, but a really useful guide to shops, takeaways, banks etc (and doctors, dentists and vets) and how to get to them from the canal. This is proving really useful and I've just ordered copies for two more areas.

One final hint. We enclose our Nicholsons in one of those heavy duty clear zipped wallets. This stops the pages blowing around and protects it from rain and dirt (and diesel smuts in my case) and keeps it nice and flat. With care you can turn the pages without removing it.

As OP I give permission to plug any maps you might know of :-) IF....it is within the rules of CW, of course.

For me, Waterscapes map works very poorly. The symbols and lines showing the canals take to long to show. And it eventualy freezes my browser. Its a little better in Explorer (stil takes it's time though) but utterly useless in Firefox.

There is a difference between maps and guides of course and the OP specifically asks about maps, so info about pubs etc going out of date isn't such an issue - geographical features, bends, bridges etc change much less frequently. The Waterways World guides are more schematic and good for people who have trouble orientating and following a map like Nicholsons (like I used to), but as I said above, I'm glad I persevered with Nicholsons as that geographical info is often useful. So Nicholsons for maps, supplemented by First Mate and Good Beer guides!

I've never tried Pearsons - what are their advantages?

I've never tried Pearsons - what are their advantages?

Some people like the more 'schematic' look seemingly and they are not correctly orientated which Nicholson's are - some people find this better.

example_580.jpg

You can also buy them for specific rings/routes.

spelling ed.

Edited by MJG

We use Nicholson's. My only bugbear is something that all canal map books seem to have in common, so there must be a good reason for it.

Why do you so often have to flip back a page to go east, and up a page to go south? It's so counter-intuitive and I can't see a good reason for doing it.