Oxford Canal, North or South ?

gasman

Featured Posts

I recently wrote a topic regarding the winding lengths near Oxford, and thank everyone for their replies, as we are thinking of hiring from either

Warwick or Stockton, probably Stockton. The intention was to go South towards Oxford as most of the canal mags tend to feature the South rather than the North towards Hawksbury junction. From Stockton (Napton junction) there would appear to be 4 choices for a weeks cruise :- South towards Oxford

North towards Hawksbury or South East towards Northampton or West towards Warwick and Birmingham. As we live down in sunny Cornwall we are not that familiar with the area and would welcome any comments on perhaps the best route for a weeks holiday, 4 crew, 65ft N.B. some experience, but not a great

deal, moderate amount of locks ( although we have a couple of strong women !!! ) and some real ale stops en route would be a bonus.

List of pubs, on, close to or a short walk away below

If you find any more, please capture and I will add to the guide

http://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/pubs/Oxford.htm

I would put in a word for the Mill in Banbury if only for its proximity to the canal (plus tyhe beer and food are generally OK.) Also the Reindeer is probably 10 minutes from the canal in Banbury, does excellent beer and is historically well worth a visit.

None of the other pubs in Banbury are up to much apart from my local, the Bell which is 5 minutes from the cut and keeps excellent beer, but I don't want a load of non-Banburians clogging up the bar so I will leave it at that! :cheers:

Edit the Roase and Castle at Ansty was particularlygood for food last time we went there (about a year ago?)

Edited by owenk

I recently wrote a topic regarding the winding lengths near Oxford, and thank everyone for their replies, as we are thinking of hiring from either

Warwick or Stockton, probably Stockton. The intention was to go South towards Oxford as most of the canal mags tend to feature the South rather than the North towards Hawksbury junction. From Stockton (Napton junction) there would appear to be 4 choices for a weeks cruise :- South towards Oxford

North towards Hawksbury or South East towards Northampton or West towards Warwick and Birmingham. As we live down in sunny Cornwall we are not that familiar with the area and would welcome any comments on perhaps the best route for a weeks holiday, 4 crew, 65ft N.B. some experience, but not a great

deal, moderate amount of locks ( although we have a couple of strong women !!! ) and some real ale stops en route would be a bonus.

If I were you, which of course I'm not, I would go, either The GU South or, and I am biased, South Oxford towards Oxford.

Although it can get a bit busy at Napton and Claydon Locks.

Martyn edit to add that I was in Cornwall in January and it weren't very sunny then.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

If I were you, which of course I'm not, I would go, either The GU South or, and I am biased, South Oxford towards Oxford.Although it can get a bit busy at Napton and Claydon Locks.

Martyn edit to add that I was in Cornwall in January and it weren't very sunny then.

See I was going to say exactly this with the "I am biased" caveat in it as well - pretty strach of canal and, if you are inclined loads of interesting stuff to do and see in Oxford -the Parks for cricket, the University and Pitts Rivers museums, the Asmoleum, all the colleges, punting if you fancy some self-propelled boating, the Botantic Gardens, loads of fantastics pubs etc etc etc.

A few years ago we hired from Kate Boats (which is who I assume you are looking at) at Stockton, and in a week went down the GU as far a Cosgrove and back to Napton, and then down the Oxford to Fenny Compton. That is a route with lots of variety, wide locks narrow locks 2 long tunnels etc. If you wanted to do further down the Oxford to say Banbury, then on the GU leg turn at the Stoke Bruerne end of Blisworth tunnel.

If you go through Lower Heyford The Bell is worth a visit. The children always insist on stopping for the Marshmallow Mountain. Look out for the Cropredy festival. In the week before and during the festival there's a couple of miles of moored boats near the village. On the Sunday when it finishes there can be very long queues at the locks.

The Oxford canal is all good in my opinion. If you want tranquil isolation then going south from Napton is very pleasant but can be busy. The long summit section is one of the best sections of canal in my opinion.

North from Braunston is nice too and has much to recommend it. A stop in Braunston is worth it. The section north of Brinklow gets noisy when you get alongside the Motorway for a while but Hawkesbury at the end is nice but can also be busy at peak times.

See I was going to say exactly this with the "I am biased" caveat in it as well - pretty strach of canal and, if you are inclined loads of interesting stuff to do and see in Oxford -the Parks for cricket, the University and Pitts Rivers museums, the Asmoleum, all the colleges, punting if you fancy some self-propelled boating, the Botantic Gardens, loads of fantastics pubs etc etc etc.

If you are only out for a week you wont have much time to spare in Oxford.

If you are only out for a week you wont have much time to spare in Oxford.

I would second that, Banbury is a more realistic and leisurely cruise. Nice scenery, easy locks and plenty of moorings make the South Oxford an ideal holiday.

In the other direction, how about a trip to Market Harborough? Double and single locks, tunnels, staircase locks, swing bridge and nice scenery. Plenty of variation and easily done in a week.

I can only agree with you, but.........

If I had hired a boat for a week, I'd want to go boating.

Vist Oxford by car for a day trip some other time