Rivers

dontpanic

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I know this a canal forum but do any of you live/cruise the rivers? Don't want to Hijack the forum but...

I bought a second hand boat in Weedon and have been living on her for a month and cruising small stretches of the GUC. I've really loved it and met some lovely, friendly and helpful, generous people but it's time now to leave and take up my moorings in Ely, which is my plan but I am sad about leaving and a bit nervous about what I will find/or not find on the journey. I hope that I will love the river as much as the canal. I am leaving on the 17th and will have a crew of two friends to help me.

The journey will take me down the Northampton arm of the GUC, Down the river Nene and via the mid levels to the river Ouse. Does anybody have any advise? My experience so far has been only on canals and this is my first boat.

On the canal I have had local advise from friendly boaters and a good guide in Pearsons but there seems to me very little info out there about the rivers. The website www.visitanglianwaterways.co.uk has closed down and the Imray guide to the river Nene doesn't destinguish mooring types and Waterscape as far as I can make out only lists marinas and boatyards that charge for moorings (I suppose who have paid to advertise) so feel a bit unprepared for the journey.

Does anybody know of a good online or offline resource for info on public/free river moorings? Any local info on rivers Nene and Ouse appreciated!

If this the wrong forum please could someone suggest one for river users!

Dontpanic nb Rusty

On the mooring side of things you will generally find less ability to moor up 'at will' and this is probably what the guides are reflecting. Most river moorings tend to be constructed for that specific purpose and unlike the canal towpath are interspersed along the river length.

It's not a big problem at all - it just requires a bit more planning.

Don't be concerned at all about river cruising - we haven't done the particular section you refer to but we have done a fair bit as hirers and now as owners. It's different yes in that the sections are often very much wider than canals, watch out for silted up/shallow insides of bends and be aware of currents that you tend not to get on canals - these along with the wind can catch you out if you are not aware of which way a river is flowing - you can however use them to your advantage too eg when turning your boat.

A general point is that we have found it can be much cooler when river cruising, even on a warm day.

Have a look at the boaters handbook - lots of tips in their about using a boat on rivers.

Boaters Handbook linky

Yes, there's lots of people here who moor on rivers and the Nene/ML/Gt Ouse. We moor at Bill Fen Marina, at Ramsey on the Middle Level. The trip is great, just be aware that you have to give 24 hours notice to Tina at Stanground lock, between the Nene at Peterborough and the Middle Level. Then the hop from Salter's Lode to Denver to get onto the Ouse is tidal, so talk to Paul in advance to get suitable times for the passage.

You need a different key, equivalent to the BW key, for the EA waterways, and a different windlass for the Middle Level locks. (Tina can sell you one of those.)

Ely is a great place to moor.

MP.

Most river moorings tend to be constructed for that specific purpose

Boaters Handbook linky

In your experience MJG are there Environment Agency visitor moorings, and are they marked clearly?

Thanks for the Handbook reminder, have read again and will ask crew to read, I think its a really good one!

dontpanic

see you down there MoominPapa (if I get there in one piece)

Thanks, I've got EA key and signed up for Strong Stream Advice but didn't know I needed a different windlass for the Mid levels, will my BW windlass be alright on the Nene?

Sorry to bang on about this but are there marked mooring places along the rivers other than marinas? Do you think marinas would be the best option? I used to live in Waterbeach and I know there is a 48 mooring down by the Clayhithe bridge but I don't remember any sign, I just know because I lived locally and of course when I'm on the move I'm not going to have any of that.

Anybody on the Nene who can advise? I think I have read some where that the Nene is under used by boaters.

Dontpanic

In your experience MJG are there Environment Agency visitor moorings, and are they marked clearly?

Thanks for the Handbook reminder, have read again and will ask crew to read, I think its a really good one!

dontpanic

Sorry - I am not familiar with that particular section. But normally on rivers yes where you can moor safely is normally marked as such. Often (though not always) they will be floating pontoons like this-

IMG_0629.jpg

Easiest and quickest way to spot them is to look for other moored boats and once you've checked it is not a private mooring (it will say if it is) go for it....

IMG_0634.jpg

Thank you so much MJG, a big great visual reassuring post!

:)

No problem -

have you checked this pdf out too??

Nene vavigation guide

I haven't studied it too closely to see if it shows marked moorings, but worth a look.

eta - actually I see it does have the moorings marked

Edited by MJG

Sorry if this is pointing out the obvious but you do need to be careful when tying up.

Floating pontoons etc. are great. If, however, you tie up to a fixed point, you'll need to allow enough slack to compensate for changes in the water level, and adjust your ropes every so often. If the boat rises and the ropes go taught it can gradually pull your boat over sideways. Similarly if the level drops your boat can get caught up on the edge.

The other thing to bear in mind is that distances between moorings can be significant. This means the moving parts of the boat don't get much of a rest. Make sure your engine is happy to run for long periods without overheating. Also make sure the stern gland is ok for long periods without extra grease. There's not really anywhere to stop so once you're off, you're off. By the same token ensure that you have everything around you that you will need (map book, refreshments, sunglasses, baccy etc.) before setting off.

River cruising is very pleasant and relaxing but as others have said, you need to plan ahead a lot more.

Just the Job!

Thanks MJG, nothing can stop me now! Ely here I cometh!

Dontpanic

Hi

I have always thought that on rivers - if you can get to the bank - its a mooring.

Due to not planning very well - I have moore over night tied to a tree by the centre rope!! Leaped onto the bank with the mooring spikes and moored 4ft away from the bank.

As you are not wanting to get of and go any where its pefectly OK for a night.

You will enjoy the rivers.

Alex

Hi

I have always thought that on rivers - if you can get to the bank - its a mooring.

Due to not planning very well - I have moore over night tied to a tree by the centre rope!! Leaped onto the bank with the mooring spikes and moored 4ft away from the bank.

As you are not wanting to get of and go any where its pefectly OK for a night.

You will enjoy the rivers.

Alex

You are probably correct - and in an emergency or if you a familiar with and sure of the depth at a particular spot - yes we have done that on the broads , not on the Nene though, and also not when the dog has been with us - his legs won't make a foor foot leap...

eta - what about poss. trespassing issues though??

Edited by MJG

You are probably correct - and in an emergency or if you a familiar with and sure of the depth at a particular spot - yes we have done that on the broads , not on the Nene though, and also not when the dog has been with us - his legs won't make a foor foot leap...

Hi

I've never thought it a problem because we are usually miles from any where and it is always just overnight.

:smiley_offtopic:

Nice to meet you the othe day its a pity I didnt spot you earlier, I would have stopped for a chat.

You also probably noticed that I also amost clouted the bank looking around to for long!!

Maybe we should have that re-cognition sign on the front.

We left the boat at Barton Turns to go home on Tuesday and going back today, we're making our way to Whaley Bridge/Bugsworth for Easter

Alex

You also probably noticed that I also amost clouted the bank looking around to for long!!

I did - though to be honest I spotted more of the recovery than the initial bank ramming attempt :cheers:

I guessed what you'd done...

edit for grammar.

Edited by MJG

...snip...

Make sure your engine is happy to run for long periods without overheating.

...snip...

Lots of good advice snipped out to save space.

Adding to this one comment, just because on rivers you can go quicker than on a canal, doesn't mean that you have to go quicker. I have seen so many boats that have overheated on a river because the first thing the owner did was to open the throttle up further than it had ever been in its life and then keep it there for a long long time.

It's a good idea initially to travel at exactly the same speed as you would normally travel on a canal, and only then once you are certain that the engine is happy do you increase the speed just a little bit, and then a little bit more if you want to, all the while keeping an eye on the engine (particularly the temperature gauge if you have one).

Oh - and talking of planning ahead - take a pee before you set off, there may not be an opportunity to stop for one until quite a lot later on.

It's a good idea initially to travel at exactly the same speed as you would normally travel on a canal, and only then once you are certain that the engine is happy do you increase the speed just a little bit, and then a little bit more if you want to, all the while keeping an eye on the engine (particularly the temperature gauge if you have one).

Oh - and talking of planning ahead - take a pee before you set off, there may not be an opportunity to stop for one until quite a lot later on.

Thank you for the warning, would have done, both opened her up and gone for that all important pee even on the canal!

dontpanic, you've asked what I've been puzzling over, will a river journey upset my equilibrium ... :blink: .. I'm not an adventerous sort so I tend to stick my head under the covers as soon as brain starts to make enquiring noises, and I go off and do something else!

We are in Stoke area, on Macclesfield Canal, and intending to go all over the UK - Jenny will be in charge of the maps and destinations, and she also likes to do the tillering so no doubt the decision making will be left to me, and I will be the one who decides if such and such a place is a suitable stop over. Maybe I'll take steelaway's advice and moor up tied to a tree!

There will be 5 of us on board, a cockateil, two border collies, and us two - 4 of us will have life jackets, so we can swim to the bank if necessary. I'm also thinking of taking my 16' double extension ladder - LOL - if the dogs that desparate they can walk the ladder!

Have got some serious reading up to do before we venture upon the rivers and posts like yours are emminently worthy of pursuing especially when they include nice photos :cheers:

Hi,

You might want to get hold of the Imray guides ...

Imray's Great Ouse & Tributaries

Imray's Fenland waterways

Imray's Nene

With regards the Great Ouse:

Ely can get very busy especially on lovely sunny weekends like this one, as can the moorings up to Pope's corner. There are some much quieter moorings downstream of Ely, between Littleport and Ely. Littleport can very very busy too at peak times, as can the Ship Inn which is right on the Norfolk/Cambridge border. That said, most of the time I've never had a problem finding a mooring.

If you join GOBA, for a very reasonable fee, you'll gain access to additonal moorings.

Both the EA and the GOBA moorings are very clearly marked and well maintained and 48hrs only. All the towns on the Gt. Ouse have public moorings too.

Public pumpout/sanitary stations and water points are very limited, so it's usually a case of calling at one of the Marinas.

The Great Ouse, under navigable conditions, has fairly benign flows that should cause little difficulty. The weirs are very clearly guarded by large chain-linked green floats. The most annoying feature can be the driving wind, which can make getting onto and off the short lock moorings "interesting"

If you're looking for longer term moorings, it's probably best to give some of the Marinas a call, and the EA has a small number of very nice, but without facilities, moorings ... contact AE Anglian region on O1733 464 O65 or O1733 464 O71 (EA info PDF

Yes the dogs are always our problem too, they won't make a jump to the bank.

For short-term mooring once when we couldn't get near enough to the bank for me to jump, I managed to throw the bow rope to a passing walker who passed it around a tree and threw the end back to me again.

I like the inventiveness of these boats: the grey boat tied its bow to the post, then the green one tied to his stern, and finally the red one to his stern.

DSC03925r.jpg

To have, or to have not, an anchor, this is the question. (even though it sounds grammatically appalling)

I am in two minds. My preference is not. I will only be travelling on tidal water for half an hour between midlevels and the Ouse during the whole trip and I never intend to go on tidal waters again. Against it is the space, the weight; if I ever used one I don't think I'd ever be able to get it back over the side again!

The RYA helmsmans handbook and other boaters guides advice to have one.

I have asked this question to a BSS officer, a river officer and a chandler on the river Nene. I would be interested to hear what you think.

Dontpanic

Oh you do need an anchor if you are going on the River Nene and Ouse.. Never go on rivers without an anchor. Some of the weirs are not protected, imagine if your engine shut down, then what?

Over the side with the heavy anchor will come next near weirs I assure you!

To have, or to have not, an anchor, this is the question. (even though it sounds grammatically appalling)

I am in two minds. My preference is not. I will only be travelling on tidal water for half an hour between midlevels and the Ouse during the whole trip and I never intend to go on tidal waters again. Against it is the space, the weight; if I ever used one I don't think I'd ever be able to get it back over the side again!

The RYA helmsmans handbook and other boaters guides advice to have one.

I have asked this question to a BSS officer, a river officer and a chandler on the river Nene. I would be interested to hear what you think.

Dontpanic

Have - I would say. You could always flog it afterwards. Anchors don't only come in to their own on tidal rivers but non tidal too.

Oh and and life jackets too for rivers... - we didn't have these when we did the non tidal Trent last month and I regretted that and won't again.

Edited by MJG

Oh you do need an anchor if you are going on the River Nene and Ouse.. Never go on rivers without an anchor. Some of the weirs are not protected, imagine if your engine shut down, then what?

Over the side with the heavy anchor will come next near weirs I assure you!

The first time I went down the Nene it was with the anchor out on the foredeck. I've never bothered since. The Nene isn't a big river and the depth of water going over the weirs isn't high, honestly, They all have float chains in front of them too. I can't imagine anything worst happening to an engineless narrowboat than is drifting with the flow and stopped against the upstream side of a weir, or maybe ending up across the upstream side of a bridge. That's no worse than being stuck in the middle having hoyed an anchor over the side.

In answer to your other question, OP, yes a standard windlass works fine on the Nene but there's a different one (called an "Ouse windlass" for the Great Ouse. You won't need that to get to Ely, the only Ouse lock you'll pass is Denver, which has a keeper. The manual locks on the Ouse are upstream of Earith.

MP.

I will only be travelling on tidal water for half an hour between midlevels and the Ouse during the whole trip

It's more like five minutes.

MP.