stern gland problem or something worse!

dontpanic

Featured Posts

hello,

I have been monitoring the dripping from my stern gland which seems too much (especially since I've just had the engine serviced and the stern gland was adjusted), it is dripping at one drip every 14 seconds. Taking a closer look, involving ringing the general area with kitchen towel! I've found that droplets of water are coming out, not where I was expecting, but further back and not where I thought it would! attached is a photo pointing at the offending place the drips are coming from.

stern%20gland.JPG

Advise needed, newbie in the dark!

Dontpanic

As I had water coming through the threads in the boss I had to have the boss cut out and replaced; the stop in it had gone.

I had also detected bubbling where you indicate at the other end of the stern tube where it is threaded into the stuffing box. Probably because for alignment with the holes in the cross bar the sterntube (stuffing box)was backed back an eigth of a turn.

When renewed I smeared the threads with clear silicon while assembling; obviously an out of the water job.

I would not worry too much, just watch that it does not get worse (misalignment might work at it?) and get it done when next in dock.

I put up with a wet bilge for 8 years before it was acknowledged that the boss was knacked

Edited by blodger

Milliput will do it until you can get the boat out of the water.

Tony

Just in case you are not familiar, Milliput is a two part putty that will seal just about anything. and I'd agree with WotEver that this will provide a temporary solution.

It isn't just a case of packing and greasing the stern gland: it shouldn't leak from there. That said, whether it's indicative of a bigger problem or one that will get worse needs a more knowledgeable mind than mine.

I started a thread on this ages ago, but I can't find it now!

The advice given me then, by John Orentas, which I duly followed, and it worked, was as follows:-

This kind of leak will often self seal as rust forms in the water way.

In the mean time lag the offending area with multiple wraps of self amalgamating tape, sealing both ends of the lagged area with 2 large jubilee clips.

Sounds outlandish I know, but it did work for me. Certainly less bother and expense than having the boat slipped out to repair stern gear bushes etc.

David

Edited by Bullfrog

A drop every 14 seconds? I wish! My raw water pump leaked into the bilge at the rate of a litre every half hour for 5 months last year until I got back to Sowerby Bridge for Colin the Magical Mechanic to undertake the fiendishly awkward task of repairing it. He just rolled his eyes. :rolleyes: I really must get a spare bilge pump and float switch just in case................

Mine was dripping from exact same place but water was in fact coming through thread where tube entered boss to exit the boat.

The man took four bolts out from cross plate ,cut cross plate through on either side and used large stilsons to loosen whole stern tube a couple of turns and then put silicone in from prop side which sealed the leak , he also loosened where you point to and used some red stuff he said he always used on bike engines ,he painted the thread with that and retightened it and all has been well.

I know what i am trying to tell you but dont know if you do.

Thanks for all your tips/advice - sorry I've not been back here before to thank you all but my broadband has been a bit weak, especially in the Stoke Bruerne area. A lot to think about though! Loving the let it rust up the most :-)

Looks like some one else has already put some sealing stuff around the join before, leave it on or take it off this is the question - maybe like in first aid you shouldn't take the bandage off but keep putting more over the top! Is having a leak there a symptom of having a bigger problem?

Is there a good guide or online reference that could show the construction / structure of this tube and all the bits in it? Newbie who needs to get a grip with these things ; -0.

I will clean my bilge out Tony! though it seems the more I look and clean the more problems underneath I'll find!

Dontpanic

Thanks for all your tips/advice - sorry I've not been back here before to thank you all but my broadband has been a bit weak, especially in the Stoke Bruerne area. A lot to think about though! Loving the let it rust up the most :-)

Looks like some one else has already put some sealing stuff around the join before, leave it on or take it off this is the question - maybe like in first aid you shouldn't take the bandage off but keep putting more over the top! Is having a leak there a symptom of having a bigger problem?

Is there a good guide or online reference that could show the construction / structure of this tube and all the bits in it? Newbie who needs to get a grip with these things ; -0.

I will clean my bilge out Tony! though it seems the more I look and clean the more problems underneath I'll find!

Dontpanic

Quite honestly, DP, I'd stop worrying about it. It is a very slow drip. You have a bilge pump. What's the problem?

If your bilge pump is manually operated, then you could always fit a float switch (but not through the ignition).

Keep an eye on it for sure, but otherwise leave it alone. It'll either get worse or it won't. If it does, then remedial action might be called for.

Till then happy cruising.

Tone