Pressurising Accumulator

Featured Posts

I turned my pump off and opened a tap then checked the pressure in my accumulator, got a zero reading.

When I tried pumping up the pressure did not seem to go up and was not brave enough to keep pumping. I closed the tap and pumped up to 0.8 bar but should I have been braver and kept pumping with the tap open?

Once again thank you for any advice.

Peter

I turned my pump off and opened a tap then checked the pressure in my accumulator, got a zero reading.

When I tried pumping up the pressure did not seem to go up and was not brave enough to keep pumping. I closed the tap and pumped up to 0.8 bar but should I have been braver and kept pumping with the tap open?

Once again thank you for any advice.

Peter

Er, if you've got the tap open there wouldn't be any pressure in the system once the initial pressure in the accumulator is gone! It would be like trying to blow up a balloon with a hole in it.

Er, if you've got the tap open there wouldn't be any pressure in the system once the initial pressure in the accumulator is gone! It would be like trying to blow up a balloon with a hole in it.

?? Only if the diaphragm does indeed have a hole in it. Under normal circumstances with a working accumulator it is indeed just like blowing up a balloon.

Tony

?? Only if the diaphragm does indeed have a hole in it. Under normal circumstances with a working accumulator it is indeed just like blowing up a balloon.

Tony

Was thinking of the heating system / hot water expansion thingys - ignore me original post...

Edited by Robbo

Its just like a tyre! Make sure the pump is correclty attached and the fitting depresses the valve. If you press the valve and air comes out then it is pressurised. Are you using a separate gauge or one incorprated into the pump?

If you have verified the pressure gauge works, then no harm will come if you keep pumping with water pump off and tap open. If it wont hold pressure then either the diaphragm or the valve as failed. If the diaphragm has failed then the air you pumped in to the accumulator will find its way out of your taps in bursts of air when you turn your pump back on.

Just to be sure!!!

Are you measuring the pressure of the water system or the air in the accumulater??? When pumping up you should remove the pump and check with a gauge on the air inlet valve.