Alternator issue

Ynot

Featured Posts

I have looked carefully and it is definitely flickering.

Interestingly, I just got a response back from Beta Marine asking if I recently fitted new batteries. They are not new, but are on permanent charge and it seems that may well be the answer - they are fully charged.

I know I'm wandering into dangerous territory here, but I understand the warning light does not illuminate when it sees a voltage differential or not in this case?. That little gem did not come from Beta Marine.

(Waits to be shot down because that's rubbish)

When I get chance this weekend I'll put some load on the batteries and try again.

Common misconception ...W is half wave rectified ac so try your meter on DC.

You've slightly fallen overboard from the discussion here old chap, the W issue was from a different poster who just tagged his problem onto this thread when it appeared the OP was sorted out. Current issue (no pun intended) is a flickering warning light. Certainly a valid point though.

Ynot, try turning on a substantial load and see if that stops the flickering.

That B1 terminal, I'm betting that's a mistake and it's 61, yes?

Yes it was 61-confusion caused by reading in the dark upside down with an inspection mirror.

Here it is:http://img847.imageshack.us/i/img1215p.jpg/

It was identified by AutoElectrics as a Valeo 55A unit. At some time (perhaps when it was

reconditioned in 2009) a plastic end-cover had been mounted with the wrong terminal labels.

The '61' was in fact W and the 'W' was not connected.

AE did find a tachometer output voltage, so I'll stick it all back in next week and see.

You've slightly fallen overboard from the discussion here old chap, the W issue was from a different poster who just tagged his problem onto this thread when it appeared the OP was sorted out. Current issue (no pun intended) is a flickering warning light. Certainly a valid point though.

Thank you Sir Nibble, I am about to leave for the boat to try just that. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the pic, all much clearer now.

No desoldering should be required to remove the regulator/brush holder, the black plastic cover should pull off and you will find a 6.3mm push on "lucar" connector on the end of that blue wire. The commonest failure on these units, and I bet it applies in this case is that the brushes are way too hard for the job and go into the slip rings like lathe tools. If you remove that cover you should be able to clearly see the slip ring and it almost certainly is worn clean through at one or more points. Cure is to replace slip ring and brushes which I am afraid is not a DIY job unless you are a pretty talented amateur. The too hard brush compound is a classic case of deliberately designing in a life limitation to the unit, the pure marine units have no such issue and are functionally immortal. I used to put softer brushes in from a hitachi alternator and they last forever.

Dammit! I've confused the two issues now haven't I, mods, split this thread will you my brain hurts.

Edited by Sir Nibble

What took you experts so long ...the only fault that can make the warning light flicker rythmically is brushes and out of round slip ring .......X sperts ...unknown drips under pressure ...Ha Ha ..have a nice day ..

35 years as a working auto electrician, highly qualified and highly experienced and I will voice the opinion now that you are a superficial armchair expert. Who said anything about rythmically? and even if they had what makes you so smart? I've seen flickering warning lights in their hundreds and an "out of round slip ring" has NEVER been responsible. I suggest you keep your half informed opinions to yourself before you cause a lot of work and expense to someone who sought the advice of someone who knows these things and got you by mistake!

Edited by NB Alnwick
  • Greenie 2

35 years as a working auto electrician, highly qualified and highly experienced and I will voice the opinion now that you are a superficial armchair expert. Who said anything about rythmically? and even if they had what makes you so smart? I've seen flickering warning lights in their hundreds and an "out of round slip ring" has NEVER been responsible. I suggest you keep your half informed opinions to yourself before you cause a lot of work and expense to someone who sought the advice of someone who knows these things and got you by mistake!

Well said but perhaps a bit strong on the personal front. When I first saw it I almost responded but decided it would be a waste of effort.

I also have seen loads of flickering warning lamps and the odd one was caused by the ignition switch (on vehicles).

With a foot on both the electrical and mechanical camp I often see certain posters on here offering what I consider questionable advice. I just hope that those who come new to boating quickly learn who gives good advice and who to ignore.

Edited by NB Alnwick

I hope I didn't offend you Tony, I am not as a rule given to getting personal and certainly not to insults, but this character comes across as just another one of the hundreds of barroom experts I have met over the years, read a book and thinks he knows it all. He's a damned menace and an incompetant.

I hope I didn't offend you Tony, I am not as a rule given to getting personal and certainly not to insults, but this character comes across as just another one of the hundreds of barroom experts I have met over the years, read a book and thinks he knows it all. He's a damned menace and an incompetant.

Certainly did not offend me, I tended to keep out of the warning lamp part of the thread because I knew I did not have the experience to give a helpful answer. I reckon the post that offended me was possibly alcohol induced. I think he is lucky you are not Gibbo :D

You lot are so easy to wind up ...clockwork I think.

Must be excessive experience/good basic training at technician level / years of fault finding / + qualifications that gives me the edge.....

supprised the Moderator allows such vicious personal insults based on zero facts.

Now you all go have a nice day ...

Edited by pistnbroke

... based on zero facts.

My dear sir, every time you open that overly large mouth of yours you provide us with all the 'facts' that are required.

Now you go and have a nice day.

Tony

I'm sorry if I've caused confusion by reverting back to the original topic but for anyone else who has a similar issue, I spent the weekend on the boat using fridge, lights etc and ran the engine with no flickering charging light so I'm quietly confident that the batteries being absoluetly fully charged was the cause, but to make sure will go for a short trip next weekend.

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

John

I'm sorry if I've caused confusion by reverting back to the original topic but for anyone else who has a similar issue, I spent the weekend on the boat using fridge, lights etc and ran the engine with no flickering charging light so I'm quietly confident that the batteries being absoluetly fully charged was the cause, but to make sure will go for a short trip next weekend.

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

John

That's what I thought and that's why I suggested that test. Good oh.

Not an out of round slip ring then?

That's what I thought and that's why I suggested that test. Good oh.

Not an out of round slip ring then?

Errrr... not on this ocassion but I'm sure all contributions are given with the best of intentions ;)

www.hell.co.uw

???

Errrr... not on this ocassion but I'm sure all contributions are given with the best of intentions ;)

:lol:

That particular poster seems to have some intentions but I can't work out what they are. Not always, but he's usually rude and wrong at the same time.

???

:lol:

That particular poster seems to have some intentions but I can't work out what they are. Not always, but he's usually rude and wrong at the same time.

I just quoted the wisdom of the infallable one, hence you are just quoting my signature. Agree with the rude and wrong. Never known anyone try and look down his nose at someone from the bottom of a hole before.

hence you are just quoting my signature.

Which actually isn't so easily done. It was deliberate. The point being, what does it mean? It doesn't exist. Is it an "in joke" of some sort?