Victron Wiring

Biggles

Featured Posts

I have a Victron multiplus and am wondering about the AC input.

It has only one AC input so I am wondering if I can split this and have the shore power and the generator input in the same inlet.

I am guessing not as if I did there could be a phase matching problem and if the shore power was left plugged in I could end up pumping power back into the shore power supply.

So with this in mind is there a selector switch I can use, or even better an auto relay controlled system that will drop out the shore power if the generator is delivering power.

FYI the genny will give up to 28amps and I suspect the maximum shore power will be 16amps

Biggles

It has only one AC input so I am wondering if I can split this and have the shore power and the generator input in the same inlet.

I am guessing not as if I did there could be a phase matching problem and if the shore power was left plugged in I could end up pumping power back into the shore power supply.

So with this in mind is there a selector switch I can use, or even better an auto relay controlled system that will drop out the shore power if the generator is delivering power.

FYI the genny will give up to 28amps and I suspect the maximum shore power will be 16amps

Biggles

dont you plug your genny into your shorepower inlet?

Biggles

dont you plug your genny into your shorepower inlet?

That is one way of course and its the simplest. However I want to be able to just start the genny if shore power goes out without swapping plugs around.

Biggles

Mine selects shore or generator automatically.

ps. Only posted to let you know it is possible, no idea how it does it though.

mine does as well, but he is not on about that, i see where he is coming from, he wants to have both connected at the same time, which will need two inputs and a switch

Biggles

Firstly, whatever you do do not fix up an arranagement where shore power and generator can be connected at the same time, unless you have a synchroniser system to control your generator. (Very expensive and unnecessary)

Second. Relay control could be arranged. However I should think it should be better the other way around, having the generator kicking in when the shore power disconnects. However this seems to me to be elaborately unnecessary.

Change over switches are readily available but ensure that it is a break before make version and not repeat not a make before break. (Both types available)

However, I can not see why you simply can not just plug your generator output into your shore power socket

That is one way of course and its the simplest. However I want to be able to just start the genny if shore power goes out without swapping plugs around.

Biggles

Mine selects shore or generator automatically.

ps. Only posted to let you know it is possible, no idea how it does it though.

mine does as well, but he is not on about that, i see where he is coming from, he wants to have both connected at the same time, which will need two inputs and a switch

The above came in while I typed out my last post. (Had a distraction at home)

The automatic change over seems a bit elobarate. After all you will probably have to start up the generator anyhow.

To avoid having to change over plugs the change over switch is best, ensure that switch breaks bafore making. If generator is wired direct to one side of switch, a second input socket is unnecessary.

Edited by Radiomariner

Fit an ATS system to the genny. Then the shore power enters & leaves the genny & goes to the inverter. If the shore power fails the genny will start & supply the inverter. It will also stop when it comes back on. I dont know what will happen if you start the genny & there is still shore power but they must have thought about that.

In my experience it's actually cheaper to do this automatically because relays seem to be cheaper than switches.

Here's a start:-

http://uk.farnell.com/finder/62-82-8-230-0000/relay-dpco-230vac/dp/1169277

I haven't carefully checked that relay to make sure it's perfect for the job (I'm in a rush on something else) but that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

You need to switch live and neutral. Keep earths permanently connected.

Connect the coil to the generator so the resting position is on shorepower and the relay switches over when you bark the genny up.

I think we need to be clear what Biggles wants:

Biggles.

Do you want the generator to:

supply as well as the shoreline

or

to take over if the shoreline goes down

or

something else

and would you like it to be automatic or manual.

I maybe being a bit thick here :wacko:

Edited by bottle

I did do a reply but it seems to have vanished.

Anyway shore power would be the primary, the genny if shore power failed and the inverter couldn't provide 240vac.

I don't want the genny to start automatically but do want the power switched automatically. I think Gibbos idea will work just fine.

Biggles