Tell us your pet boating hates

onionbargee

Featured Posts

I'm sure there are some that this would apply to - all the more reason to front them up! (After all, you only need to miss them by inches) Nine times out of ten you will get a nod of appreciation for knowing how it's done. It always brightens my day when I meet someone like that and we pass each other smoothly and neatly.

You might like this video :cheers:

Howard

I'm sure there are some that this would apply to - all the more reason to front them up! (After all, you only need to miss them by inches) Nine times out of ten you will get a nod of appreciation for knowing how it's done. It always brightens my day when I meet someone like that and we pass each other smoothly and neatly.

I've just watched the video that Howard kindly posted. Very informative!

I only mentioned on the forum the other day, how much is to be learned on here (Whereby Carl immediately posted some obscure native tribe information to reinforce my point :P )

Seriously though, it's great to see footage such as that, with guidance points on good helmsmanship. My only concern with the 'chicken run', would be if the oncoming boat misread

your actions to be that of an arrogant sod and chickened out the wrong way, believing that you were coming straight at him/her! :unsure:

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Precisely my point.

Why is a cruising licence, for a full length narrowboat, more than an 8' dinghy?

The logic of charging for a cruising licence, by length, is no more logical than charging by width, or surface area.

It would be like me paying twice as much road tax, for my big Rover, than my neighbour, who drives a little Daihatsu thingy, because it is twice as long.

Perhaps you should ask Adrian Stott but then again maybe not as we could be here for a very long time :unsure:

Keith

I only mentioned on the forum the other day, how much is to be learned on here (Whereby Carl immediately posted some obscure native tribe information to reinforce my point :P )

Seriously though, it's great to see footage such as that, with guidance points on good helmsmanship. My only concern with the 'chicken run', would be if the oncoming boat misread

your actions to be that of an arrogant sod and chickened out the wrong way, believing that you were coming straight at him/her! :unsure:

Mike

Well, a head-on collision is probably less damaging than being hit sideways on...

Perhaps you should ask Adrian Stott but then again maybe not as we could be here for a very long time :unsure:

Keith

I just can't understand why he does not post here....all these argumentative narrowboaters to play with. :lol:

He could have great fun combining everyones posts and attributing things to the wrong person. :wacko:

I hear he is active on the "big boys" lists.

Mike

It often amazes me how mant boaters today creep along the sides rather than staying near the centre when a boat comes the other way. It disappoints me that so many get away with it. The exception seems to be on the Ashby where you can be aground quite near the middle and its noticable how many locals play chicken.

The problem with doing the nose to nose, flick the tillatr trick is that now with bow thrusters and all that crap you are never sure what the other bod is going to do until he does it. More than one has used that B thruster to actually turn in rather than out and ram us. Equally we have had the bankside crawlers hit the bottom and suddenly fly across the canal towards us. Normally we are happy with 6 inches or less distance between boats as we pass as long as they don't start slamming into reverse and jamming their tillers over in panic like they have just woken up.

Of course there are always the ones - often with old fffts or large posh women driving - who just drive down the centre ignoring other boats which are expected to evaporate from their path or go into the nearest thorn bush. Being rude to the former seems to make them happy but I have had at least one of the latter attack me with her brolly. (This one gave especial pleasure as madame was so busy swinging that she nearly fell in and did fall over when her boat (whose tillar she had released) rammed the bank and crashed along it - all of which caused a couple of other boater to have hysterics.)

Of course there are always the ones - often with old fffts or large posh women driving - who just drive down the centre ignoring other boats which are expected to evaporate from their path or go into the nearest thorn bush.

One of them yelled at us on the Avon once ("boats pass each other keeping to the right") as we passed on the correct side, with a gap of about 4 feet between boats - I wasn't sure if she wanted even more room, if she didn't know right from left, or if she just wanted to yell at us because she thought we were a hire boat and therefore less important than her. :wacko: