How long does marine paint last ...

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

We have a couple of tins of Mason P-type paint that came with the boat -- so about six years old. Does marine paint age?

Its been stored in a bow locker, so has changed temperature over the seasons (but never actually froze). Would it still be OK to use?

We have a couple of tins of Mason P-type paint that came with the boat -- so about six years old. Does marine paint age?

Its been stored in a bow locker, so has changed temperature over the seasons (but never actually froze). Would it still be OK to use?

The Masons P-type supplied with Earnest over a decade ago went on like a treat last summer.

The Masons P-type supplied with Earnest over a decade ago went on like a treat last summer.

Cool! I painted the handrails last summer with some P-type blue (that turned out to be turquoise before six years of fading), but it seems to rub off a bit from the ropes. I suppose originally there were many coats built up, rather than my one coat on top.

BTW, it has been really difficult replacing these Mason paints for touch up purposes. Akzo Nobel, who bought Mason out, (and who are a sub-group of International?) have proved to be utterly clueless, and I'd given up on Mason. But last week I stumbled into Uxbridge Boats and they have all the original colour swatches and can order them - from France. Amazing.

Thanks.

Ah ... have just noticed you are based around Uxbridge. We're on Ruffian just above Uxbridge lock. Will look out for Earnest. On your site it looks like she has some Mason 'Cargo Grey' ... or is that 'Chinchilla'?

Edited by Jim Batty

If it's a solvent based paint rather than water-based it shouldn't be affected by freezing temperatures. If you're concerned about its age try testing it somewhere inconspicuous first.

Cool! I painted the handrails last summer with some P-type blue (that turned out to be turquoise before six years of fading), but it seems to rub off a bit from the ropes. I suppose originally there were many coats built up, rather than my one coat on top.

BTW, it has been really difficult replacing these Mason paints for touch up purposes. Akzo Nobel, who bought Mason out, (and who are a sub-group of International?) have proved to be utterly clueless, and I'd given up on Mason. But last week I stumbled into Uxbridge Boats and they have all the original colour swatches and can order them - from France. Amazing.

Thanks.

Ah ... have just noticed you are based around Uxbridge. We're on Ruffian just above Uxbridge lock. Will look out for Earnest. On your site it looks like she has some Mason 'Cargo Grey' ... or is that 'Chinchilla'?

You are quite likely to bump into Mrs TNC...she does not go much further than Uxbridge! :lol::captain:

Earnest is base Mason's Chinchilla (grey), Mason's Altantic Blue side panels, Mason's Diamond White lining and rather ancient International Papua Red - hatches and hand rails.

The International Papua Red was already bloody old when Earnest was painted with it in 1999.

• 3 weeks later...

The paint should be fine provided the tins have never been opened.Manufacturers will only back up a 12 month shelf life because they need to be conservative in their claims.

It amazes me still that people believe that the mixing scheme product labelled as Mason`s Ptype is the same paint that Mason`s used to make in Derby. It would make no commercial sense for Akzo to produce several different paints of the same type and the modern PType , good as it may be, neither smells nor behaves like the stuff I used for years until Mcloud Russell bought and destroyed Mason`s years ago. I`m entirely prepared to believe the new stuff is perfectly fine - I`ve often said here that none of the major suppliers pedal ( and Akzo wouldn`t make ) rubbish - but I`ll never be convincedd it`s the same .