I Don't Believe It!

Doorman

Featured Posts

Looking out of our window whilst moored at Audlem, we spotted this flotilla of one motor and three 'butties', comprising of a 55' motor, 45' narrowboat, 14' narrowboat and trailing at the end, a GRP cruiser. If you look closely, you can just make out the 14 footer sandwiched between the second and last boats.

On their way towards Nantwich, how did they manage the Audlem Flight? Has any one else spotted these boaters on their travels.

2j31wfo.jpg

Mike

Not those ones but, in 1999, trying to beat the stoppages and get to dock, at Charity, we had two full length motors, a full length butty, a 40' Ken Keay conversion,a 30' Walton boat and one working JP2.

Getting through Napton flight, was quite an experience, especially as BW were there, waiting to shut the locks.

The most amusing thing, though, was the owner of Napton Narrowboats, sprinting to the bank, notebook in hand, trying to take all of our numbers, before we escaped.

Not those ones but, in 1999, trying to beat the stoppages and get to dock, at Charity, we had two full length motors, a full length butty, a 40' Ken Keay conversion,a 30' Walton boat and one working JP2.

Getting through Napton flight, was quite an experience, especially as BW were there, waiting to shut the locks.

The most amusing thing, though, was the owner of Napton Narrowboats, sprinting to the bank, notebook in hand, trying to take all of our numbers, before we escaped.

Blimey, that must be a record surely! :P

Why was the Napton Narrowboat guy after your numbers, was one of the boats his? :blink:

Mike

Was there any kind of helming on the other boats, I can just imagine the plastic tub fish tailing on the end.

Good for them

Tim

No, the only other person was a young lad spreadeagled across the front of the cruiser!

They were considerate in slowing down whilst passing us and gave a cheery wave. As you say, good luck to them.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Why was the Napton Narrowboat guy after your numbers, was one of the boats his? :blink:

They seem to have a particular dislike, of wooden boats, for some reason.

When one of their staff assaulted me, some years later, with a tiller bar (7 stitches in the head) the general consensus of opinion, when I complained, was that it was my fault, for being one of the dregs of society.

They seem to have a particular dislike, of wooden boats, for some reason.

When one of their staff assaulted me, some years later, with a tiller bar (7 stitches in the head) the general consensus of opinion, when I complained, was that it was my fault, for being one of the dregs of society.

Bloody hell Carl, your stories never cease to amaze me! Have you ever thought of writing an autobiography? It would make great reading material.

Mike

Bloody hell Carl, your stories never cease to amaze me! Have you ever thought of writing an autobiography? It would make great reading material.

Mike

Seconded. E book?

Phew!!! you had us going there.I misread in your post that BW were at napton locks waiting to shut them off.As we are nearly there.Then relieved to see that was back in 1999 :blush::blush:

Dave

Phew!!! you had us going there.I misread in your post that BW were at napton locks waiting to shut them off.As we are nearly there.Then relieved to see that was back in 1999 :blush::blush:

Dave

:lol: You must have gone to the same school as me Dave, I'm forever mis-reading text etc.,

Just as well that I'm not a navigator, :wacko: probably end up in Belgium when trying to get to Buckby.

Mike

Looking out of our window whilst moored at Audlem, we spotted this flotilla of one motor and three 'butties', comprising of a 55' motor, 45' narrowboat, 14' narrowboat and trailing at the end, a GRP cruiser. If you look closely, you can just make out the 14 footer sandwiched between the second and last boats.

On their way towards Nantwich, how did they manage the Audlem Flight? Has any one else spotted these boaters on their travels.

2j31wfo.jpg

Mike

Yes that's us... The Lead boat is 64ft long, my friends boat is 45ft long and has at present one very leaky injector pump, hence the reason I am currently towing them slowly but surely to our destination. The little cruiser belongs to the lead boat. And in case your wondering, no we dont actually do this for fun... we are not completely mad.. just good friends helping each other along the way as genuine boaters do. As for Audlem we did eleven on the first day, taking the lead boat through first and sitting her just outside the bottom gates whilst refilling the lock and pulling the second boat and her butty by hand into the lock. Once the lock had emptied opened bottom gates and hitched her back up to the lead boat. Then refilling the lock and bringing the cruiser down behind, again by hand. Each lock, three times, and eleven (33 in total)completed in under 5 hours.

Yes that's us... The Lead boat is 64ft long, my friends boat is 45ft long and has at present one very leaky injector pump, hence the reason I am currently towing them slowly but surely to our destination. The little cruiser belongs to the lead boat. And in case your wondering, no we dont actually do this for fun... we are not completely mad.. just good friends helping each other along the way as genuine boaters do. As for Audlem we did eleven on the first day, taking the lead boat through first and sitting her just outside the bottom gates whilst refilling the lock and pulling the second boat and her butty by hand into the lock. Once the lock had emptied opened bottom gates and hitched her back up to the lead boat. Then refilling the lock and bringing the cruiser down behind, again by hand. Each lock, three times, and eleven (33 in total)completed in under 5 hours.

Well done, a very good deed indeed! :clapping:

Mike