Overstaying

mayalld

Featured Posts

In discussions about overstaying, and "fake-CCers", the naysayers often call for evidence that it is an issue at all.

So, especially for them, I am actually going to compile some observations this year (I was going to do it last year, but events rather put a stop to that).

To be specific, the location that I am recording is at Furness Vale, immediately north of Bridge 30 on the Peak Forest Canal.

Google Maps

This is a location that appears from my unscientific observations, to be a regular haunt of boats registered as CCing that don't do so.

It is my intention to make a note of which boats are there from time to time, and to build a picture of the extent to which boats are overstaying and breaching their licence conditions.

My first set of observations were taken at 13:00 on Tuesday 25th January, when ten boats, all CCers were moored there. My second set of observations were yesterday at 16:30 (a little over 13 days later). By that time, four of the original ten boats had departed, and two additional boats arrived.

It will be interesting to look again tonight, because that makes 6 boats that will have moved on if they are obeying the rules....

• Greenie 1

that may prove that overstaying happens, but doesn't prove that its an issue. is there that much of a scramble for moorings in the middle of nowhere in February?

It is the start of a series of observations at a site that is fairly full all year round.

Why is it important to you how long they stay there?

Are they affecting you right now?

Perhaps Dave sees it as big a problem, as you once did, and merely wants to establish some numbers, to reinforce his argument....

What i dont like are so called CCers who inhabit the same spot month in month out and blame the weather for their lack of motivation to play by the rules. Yes there were times that the system froze over last winter but there were also times when the CCing community were using that as an excuse to get away with staying put for a couple of months.

It isnt the marina "dwellers" who resent CCers. You may want to look closer to home. How do you think the genuine CCers feel, who play by the rules and pay for a winter mooring, only to be joined by one of the so called CC community who dont pay their way and overstay.

Without wanting to read the detail, is this not just a diversionary thread when a discussion is being lost elsewhere on the site?

Tone

Nope.

I will update this thread periodically with observations, but I'm quite happy to continue other discussions.

WHY ?

What on earth is wrong with you maisie , how did you become this obsessed with what other boaters are doing ,find something better to do with your time before you end up sectioned and end up being cared for one on one , i dont think your antics are normal and its getting a bit worrying .I wont bother reading anything into the vacancy that has come up at new mills on the pf or the reasons it may have been vacated.

Perhaps Dave sees it as big a problem, as you once did, and merely wants to establish some numbers, to reinforce his argument....

Once being the choice word. It really isnt such a big deal and i would rather BW spend their money on maintaining the system rather than chasing around after a few moorers who choose to not play by the rules. BW are getting their budget slashed, it is more than ever important that they spend the avaliable money wisely.

Can't answer for Mr Mayalld but it is important to me as I pay just under £1200 a year to moor on the canals. This money goes to the upkeep of the system (well a small part the majority must go to the directors but that is another issue) If you use it don't abuse it pay for it or loose it.

They are not affecting me at the moment but there are many like it at mooring spots that will affect me over the coming year so I am very interested in Mr Mayalld's research.

Take care

Nev

NB Waterlily

Why is it important to you how long they stay there?

Are they affecting you right now?

• Greenie 1

Can't answer for Mr Mayalld but it is important to me as I pay just under £1200 a year to moor on the canals. This money goes to the upkeep of the system (well a small part the majority must go to the directors but that is another issue) If you use it don't abuse it pay for it or loose it.

They are not affecting me at the moment but there are many like it at mooring spots that will affect me over the coming year so I am very interested in Mr Mayalld's research.

Take care

Nev

NB Waterlily

What is the £1200 for ,licence or a designated home mooring?

WHY ?

What on earth is wrong with you maisie , how did you become this obsessed with what other boaters are doing ,find something better to do with your time before you end up sectioned and end up being cared for one on one , i dont think your antics are normal and its getting a bit worrying .I wont bother reading anything into the vacancy that has come up at new mills on the pf or the reasons it may have been vacated.

Pure fantasy. Perhaps your own sanity should be in question. Dave was criticised for not doing this when he said that he would and now he is getting flak for doing it!

The moorers in the spot that he has chosen are a damn nusiance almost blocking the cut.

Isnt the whole idea of owning a boat that you get away from it all and leave the stresses of working/retired life behind. It isnt supposed to turn you into a snooper who is more interested in other peoples business than having a relaxing time. Im sure David would rather BW spend millions on tracking down all the overstayers and smacking their wrists but in reality that money is better spent elsewhere, maintaining the waterways for everyones benefit.

Home mooring (non residential) I pay on top for the license of course,

Nev

Im not quite sure where your problem lies.

If you turn up to a mooring and 25% is taken up by overstayers and the other 75% is taken by visiting boats abiding by the time limits, why is that any different to if you turn up to find 100% visiting boats. The mooring is still full whichever way you look at it.

So should we all stop paying our mooring fees to make it fair then BW could forget about all the admin of issuing and checking and spend the money on the canals .... Oh missed that bit they would not have the money to spend?

Take care

Nev

NB Waterlily

Isnt the whole idea of owning a boat that you get away from it all and leave the stresses of working/retired life behind. It isnt supposed to turn you into a snooper who is more interested in other peoples business than having a relaxing time. Im sure David would rather BW spend millions on tracking down all the overstayers and smacking their wrists but in reality that money is better spent elsewhere, maintaining the waterways for everyones benefit.

So should we all stop paying our mooring fees to make it fair then BW could forget about all the admin of issuing and checking and spend the money on the canals .... Oh missed that bit they would not have the money to spend?

Take care

Nev

NB Waterlily

If your problem is with CCers who dont have a need for a mooring, then that is a seperate discussion and i cant help you with that one. Not all overstaying moorers are CCers, some have home moorings elsewhere on the system.

To add my tuppen'orth, for the first time recently I've heard "fly mooring" as an argument against allowing a canal to be restored, on the basis that a beautiful and comparatively tranquil area would be adversely affected by mooring that the canal owners can not control

bounced to make sure it gets read, as last posts on a page often don't seem to

Im not quite sure where your problem lies.

If you turn up to a mooring and 25% is taken up by overstayers and the other 75% is taken by visiting boats abiding by the time limits, why is that any different to if you turn up to find 100% visiting boats. The mooring is still full whichever way you look at it.

Is anyone else getting a bit confused by this?

The swathes of weed/rubbish/growth gathered around the boat are a useful start usually proving it hasnt moved in quite a while. Another good one is the acres of junk gathered around the boat on the towpath/pontoon. The most useful way though is to check out the moorings on your local route. We have a choice of two directions when leaving the marina both of which go past popular moorings. The same boats frequent these "visitor" moorings every week. Usually another good indication that they are not genuine CCers.

That spot he has chosen.

Going to tell us a lot about what goes on around the system is it ? ,seems to me the likes of you and dave already know or think there is a problem at the chosen spot so what is the point of his mission.

As far as i am concerned honeypot sites are usually full because pri**s who moor local to them like to get there early every bank holiday or event and moor up smug in the knowledge they are preventing non locals from stopping , i suspect many also live local and leave the boat moored up at honeypot sites and then go home.