Stourbridge thieves

Jamboat

Featured Posts

Stolen during the night, never heard a thing, we were a bit wary of doing the BCN in general but it seemed okay here moored a mile or so before the junction, have been waiting for the wind to ease. Now shall move regardless.... Thieving b#######s mad.gif

Sorry to hear that but when i left unsecured fishing rods on the roof overnight and they went i had myself to blame i felt , without doubt i would not have left a bunch of twenty pound notes , that is what unsecured items are to thieves , cash.

I now try not to leave items on the boat unsecured and if possible have them inside , wonder if people on another thread wondering why thieves dont steal coal gave someone idea,s when passing your boat :banghead:

Sorry to hear that but when i left unsecured fishing rods on the roof overnight and they went i had myself to blame i felt , without doubt i would not have left a bunch of twenty pound notes , that is what unsecured items are to thieves , cash.

I now try not to leave items on the boat unsecured and if possible have them inside , wonder if people on another thread wondering why thieves dont steal coal gave someone idea,s when passing your boat :banghead:

You're spot on, shouldn't leave stuff 'in view' - this has been a wake up call.

Will be fitting a locking diesel cap asapwink.gif

We had 4 bags nicked from the James Brindley car park just before the festives; BP was busy sledging the last of our order down the Worcester bar and heard on oik say "quick, go!" (and for anyone who knows Bp they'll know how close she was) and the 4 bags stacked by the car were gone and a 4 by 4 full of said oiks sped off...

Fortunately we were at the coal boat so we could immediately chalk it up to experience; still not nice though.

The reality is that some of us have nowhere else to store stuff other than the roof, or the pontoon next to the boat if we're on our home mooring; you've just got to hope no-one wants the semi disassembled wind genny, scratty old workbench etc...

Hi Jamboat

Sorry to hear of the theft. Whereabouts in Stourbridge were you? I suppose that in cooler weather solid fuel is desirable. I was a little sad to hear of your doubts about the BCN in general - yes, there just as many scrotes in depressed industrial areas as in any other canal side region adjacent to other cities but in a lifetime's boating I've encounered negligible trouble and no theft - guess I've just been lucky!

Where next? I live locally and run an estate car. If you need to replace the loss, pm me for a contact number and I'll take you a local stockist early this week.

Cheers

Dave

Wow, what a friendly forum!! :clapping:

Mostly yes. But we do have our moments. Welcome to the forum!

Ask a question and get 5 different answers but at least you know some of the issues.

Ask for help and you may well get lots of it!

Again: Welcome

Nick

Hi Jamboat

Sorry to hear of the theft. Whereabouts in Stourbridge were you? I suppose that in cooler weather solid fuel is desirable. I was a little sad to hear of your doubts about the BCN in general - yes, there just as many scrotes in depressed industrial areas as in any other canal side region adjacent to other cities but in a lifetime's boating I've encounered negligible trouble and no theft - guess I've just been lucky!

Where next? I live locally and run an estate car. If you need to replace the loss, pm me for a contact number and I'll take you a local stockist early this week.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

We were near Bells Mill overlooking New Wood, not any longer though! Have winded (literally!!) in the junction & gone back out nearer Stewponey, hope this weather soon blows itself out then we can continue our journey towards the North Stratford. At the moment it's blowing a hooley huh.gif

Thank you for your generous offer, as Wandering Snail comments this really is a friendly forum!

We'd only just had the coal delivered to Newtown Bridge on Thursday by Corbetts coal merchants so I will ring him 1st thing tomorrow & get the order repeated, at least he will get some benefit from our misfortune .

I think the next lot will be stashed somewhere in the cratch,at least until we're out of town. wink.gif

We had 4 bags nicked from the James Brindley car park just before the festives; BP was busy sledging the last of our order down the Worcester bar and heard on oik say "quick, go!" (and for anyone who knows Bp they'll know how close she was) and the 4 bags stacked by the car were gone and a 4 by 4 full of said oiks sped off...

Fortunately we were at the coal boat so we could immediately chalk it up to experience; still not nice though.

The reality is that some of us have nowhere else to store stuff other than the roof, or the pontoon next to the boat if we're on our home mooring; you've just got to hope no-one wants the semi disassembled wind genny, scratty old workbench etc...

One thing we wondered is how 'they' managed to carry it, it's a good 1/2mile to a road unless they had spotted it during the day & then come back with a wheelbarrow.

At least they left our mushrooms alone - unless they are planning to come back for them, well tough, we've moved dry.gif

• Greenie 1

Mostly yes. But we do have our moments. Welcome to the forum!

Ask a question and get 5 different answers but at least you know some of the issues.

Ask for help and you may well get lots of it!

Again: Welcome

Nick

One of the main forum problems is that the thread starts to change after a while..

Sorry tp hear about your loss of coal..

Did you know that the groundhog, Punxatawny Phil...came out of hibernation on the 2nd...and predicted and early spring..

Bob

One thing we wondered is how 'they' managed to carry it, it's a good 1/2mile to a road unless they had spotted it during the day & then come back with a wheelbarrow.

At least they left our mushrooms alone - unless they are planning to come back for them, well tough, we've moved dry.gif

Blast! I forgot to take the mushrooms!!

Where did you say you were mooring?

:lol:

I too had a fishing rod nicked whilst we were moored in little Venice.I was well peed off!! Also had a Hazel nut wood walking stick that i had cut out of a hedge over a year back.It was nothing special,but i had made it myself.In a strange way i was flattered they thought it good enough to nick thieving barstewards.

Back to your nicked coal,i never understand why people just leave it on the roof uncovered.asking for trouble eh! A boat we passed yesterday was still in the same place three weeks ago,and still with 8 bags of coal on the roof uncovered.Obviously no one on it far ages.The cockpit was full of leaves and branches.Must have money to burn eh?

I learnt about it on your blog this morning. Sorry to hear of the theft.

For some time now I have been wondering about the wisdom of some of the personal information that people post on flora and blogs.

Just a thought,I couldn't help noticing that your blog features a location indicator, so even if you've moved its very easy to find you.

Someother recent postings included, a boat being left on the towpath for several weeks whilst the owners returned to sort out tenency problems, others detailing recent aquisitions, commentating on trips they have to make or their habit of taking lenghty daily walks. As far as I am aware no harm has come of the their relevations and I am sure they wouldn't dream of discussing such matters where they might be overheard by some dodgy characters.

Yet the internet gives vast amounts of information for opportunist thieves, who ,if challenged were to say " Oh its OK Rosie and Jim asked me to pop by and check if they had .... , or help myself as were out of coal "

I am sure such a response would allay the most suspicious of us.

John