so why didn't I go for a modern boat and engine???

Ally

Featured Posts

So I fell in love with a Mel Davies tug :wub: ....unfitted,....with an unfitted lump of Lister in it, just sitting there looking hungry.....but I'd fallen in love by then. :wub:

So, I'm slowly getting it fitted, and I mean slowly....busmans holiday really....and living on it too. Our wardrobe is an Ikea bag, the back of the boat a dumping space....until now...we've cleared and got the engine fixed down and it runs!...a huge relief as I wasn't sure it did.....finally I save a bit of money and decide enough is enough...after 2 years it's time to get that engine running fully and moving the boat.

Deep breath......

Order a 98" bespoke prop shaft....... :unsure:

ok, that wasn't too bad... ;)

Today...

Brave the hefty winds across the M1 :o and drive to a heritage engine place to buy all the controls and linkage I need...oh, and a chimney hinge..........

about twice the price I had in my head, and sooooooooo much more than controls for modern engines could ever be.....

Do I still love my Lister??? :unsure:

For the money I could have had a smoke machine and stereo with a recording of a trad engine, whilst gently cruising with a single control with ease........and still had money for a bag o' chips!

Ouchy ouchy....guess it just came at a bad time...... :(

All boats are a trial at times, wether they are modern, old or somehwhere inbetween. It is easy to get disheartened at times and wonder why you bother, but then the next time/day you see the boat in a whole different light and you instantly know why you own her :)

Thanks Phyllis, you're right of course...the first time I saw my tug I just sat and grinned like an eejit, so I knew she was going to be mine....When I see her from afar I still do, but in amongst it all, and spending out so heavily at times....I kinda lose that view sometimes!

Being an engineer a somtimes I look at prices that are charged for parts and wonder how they warrent it, do not know but it may be cheaper to find a little engineering shop with a lathe and mill and most parts could be manufactured.

Gears,handles and bearings are off the shelf items via internet.

Regards

Andy

Well, I do love my boat, she will be all I ever dreamed of, but my last 'modern' one was just easy, and this one is something of a trial at times!

If you think yours is a trial, try having a bespoke English designed barge... with Dutch steel... plate kit cut out in England... fabricated in the Republic of Ireland, by a firm whose guvnor is so laid back, he is horizontal... English fabricator who has got a gammy leg...Polish welders who speak hardly any English and have family problems... boat fitter who is just getting divorced... wheelhouse/dog box made in England - Taken over to Ireland and fitted during some of the worst weather for 40 years... most equipment sourced in England....I could go on!

On top of that tbe Irish economny has gone down the pan and boat prices are tumbling.

We are both bonkers! :lol:

Things like putting threads on I can do myself...it was the linkages I needed, and brassware mostly...very gobsmacked at the prices though........

As I have only ever dealt with 'modern engines' before ( :blush: ssshhhhhhh) I needed a starting place for the controls....if I did it again however, I would probably put it together individually and hunt down better prices!

Live and learn...we all have to start somewhere with things that are fairly new to us! Thus I am far more comfortable with 'modern' equipment....it's what I know....till now! ;)

If you think yours is a trial, try having a bespoke English designed barge... with Dutch steel... plate kit cut out in England... fabricated in the Republic of Ireland, by a firm whose guvnor is so laid back, he is horizontal... English fabricator who has got a gammy leg...Polish welders who speak hardly any English and have family problems... boat fitter who is just getting divorced... wheelhouse/dog box made in England - Taken over to Ireland and fitted during some of the worst weather for 40 years... most equipment sourced in England....I could go on!

On top of that tbe Irish economny has gone down the pan and boat prices are tumbling.

We are both bonkers! :lol:

Agreed!!!!!

Wasn't Earnest an R&D hull? I believe I have a pic of it in my workshop!! :cheers:

@Ally........LOL! I think your post is really funny and I can really relate to your woes. Yes; why do we do it to ourselves??? Perhaps for the time being you ought to play a recording of a modern engine under head-phones!

@Ally........LOL! I think your post is really funny and I can really relate to your woes. Yes; why do we do it to ourselves??? Perhaps for the time being you ought to play a recording of a modern engine under head-phones!

No wTHAT is a good idea, ...it will be familiar comfort while trying to get this **** thing sorted!

I do kinda love it's green and shiny brass bits though! ;) and it sounds 'proper' once it stops spitting unidentifiable stuff out the temp exhaust we put through the side doors!!

(*proud*...the exhaust actually goes out the roof now!!)

Things like putting threads on I can do myself...it was the linkages I needed, and brassware mostly...very gobsmacked at the prices though........

As I have only ever dealt with 'modern engines' before ( :blush: ssshhhhhhh) I needed a starting place for the controls....if I did it again however, I would probably put it together individually and hunt down better prices!

Live and learn...we all have to start somewhere with things that are fairly new to us! Thus I am far more comfortable with 'modern' equipment....it's what I know....till now! ;)

When it's all finished and you've recovered from some of the expense and grief you'll be absolutely convinced why you went the route you have. You will achieve that state of nirvana, you're just going to have to be patient, but it'll be worth it in the end as your engine is gently chugging away and all is well with the world. ;)

Roger

When it's all finished and you've recovered from some of the expense and grief you'll be absolutely convinced why you went the route you have. You will achieve that state of nirvana, you're just going to have to be patient, but it'll be worth it in the end as your engine is gently chugging away and all is well with the world. ;)

Roger

Promise???? :hug:

Oops.

Soreeeeeeeeeeee.

I never was much of a cupid.

I'm sure the proceeds have now been tiddled away by the previous owner but if it makes you feel any better I'll refund my commision.

(that piece of oak shelf you removed during "mucking out" which I was intending to use as a shelf on Oslo)

Regards A

Edited by andywatson

Lol Andy....that was the very LEAST I could give you!!!!

Want a job fitting out my engine room???????? ;)

I have some gaffa tape and a electric screwdriver..............:blush: I could do the low down bit's , can't wait for a ride on this mechanically propelled bessom !!!

In the meantime do you want to come and play on my modern one sometime :cheers:

I have some gaffa tape and a electric screwdriver..............:blush: I could do the low down bit's , can't wait for a ride on this mechanically propelled bessom !!!

In the meantime do you want to come and play on my modern one sometime :cheers:

It might make me want the modern engine all over again though......

But I'll come play anyway!!

Wasn't Earnest an R&D hull? I believe I have a pic of it in my workshop!! :cheers:

Yes, it still is! :P

Earnest has gorn into retirement. If the sidepanels ever get repainted, it will become "The Mrs TNC Gentle Cruising Company"

You will get there, believe me, you just need to do this: have I made progress in the last six months? Yes, will I make progress in the next six months? Yes

When I found our fuel pump was busy pumping fuel anywhere but the engine last year I'd gladly have given the damn boat away... (and this only a month or so after having 160 litres of diesel nicked...)

You will get there, believe me, you just need to do this: have I made progress in the last six months? Yes, will I make progress in the next six months? Yes

When I found our fuel pump was busy pumping fuel anywhere but the engine last year I'd gladly have given the damn boat away... (and this only a month or so after having 160 litres of diesel nicked...)

*mental note to self...lockable fuel cap before I go off............*

You can save on linkage. On my Lister I used tandem cable which had to be filed a bit to fit on the cog where the remote lever connects. In fact, you can get all sorts of Lister spares as well. The rule is this: If you go to a cycle shop to buy a bike pump you can pay top price. If you go to a large odds and sods store in search of a bike pump you'll get one far cheaper. Hence linkage. Bike cable is exactly the same stuff they used on Listers.

Also a practical word. With old engines what you get is an old engine. They run fantastic but sometimes need maintenance. The good news is they're fairly simple in design and very reliable.

Agreed!!!!!

My speed wheel gearing is an old hand drill.

It works well and changes the shaft through 90 degrees.

The gear change is a triangular quadrant and a few knuckle joints attaching the rods.

Job done :)

edit:

Oh..... and it will be worth it.

You don't want one of them buzzy things assaulting your ears ;)

Edited by Proper Job

>>>Being an engineer sometimes I look at prices that are charged for parts and wonder how they warrant it<<<

As an engineer you should understand there's a lot more to it than shaping a piece of material. Don't forget, you're not just paying for the left-handed widget grommet, or whatever it may be, you're paying for somebody:

(1) to have decided some time ago that you, or somebody like you, might conceivably need a left-handed widget grommet some time in the indefinite future;

(2) to buy it from the manufacturer, pay for it, and have it delivered to his place;

(3) to pay VAT on it;

(4) to record the fact that he is holding said left-handed widget grommet in stock;

(5) to be able to find it, more or less instantly, some months or years later, and replace it on the shelves in the correct place when a prospective customer discovers he wants a right-handed widget grommet after all;

(6) to be able to find it again when you eventually come along;

(7) to be able to accept payment from you, the eventual customer, either by electronic means or by cash, and get the money to his bank before it gets pinched;

(8) to have the funds available to source another left-handed widget grommet (and better have a right-handed one too, while he is at it) to put back on the shelves for the next time somebody wants to buy one (or both).

It all costs money - and with luck, there might be a very small profit in it for the supplier.