boat loose

Heffalump

Featured Posts

Does anyone here own tarashina2? I've just found it with the bow tied loosely to a post across the towpath and the stern on the other side of the cut, no stern line attached.

What should I do?

Secure it as best you can - take the index number and bell BW - they should be able to trace the owner.

Left it as best I could, I think the line that was attached to the T stud at the bow was originally the stern line, the bow line still attached and cut 3' from the stud. Managed to pull it into the side by the dangly pipe fenders and removed the line from the bow attaching to the centre stud and back around the "don't fish - overhead lines" post. Line crossed towpath at waist height but best I could do!

• Greenie 1

That will be fun for cyclists once it gets dark B)

Yeah must admit I'm not too happy leaving it like that lol

But there are no boats moored past it until the next road access so I'm hoping there will be no night time cyclists lol

Edited by Heffalump

Yeah must admit I'm not too happy leaving it like that lol

But there are no boats moored past it until the next road access so I'm hoping there will be no night time cyclists lol

Go into the wood and cut a length of ash or hazel to use as a temporary mooring pin? I assume you've poked around in their locker for a spare?

Fixed

Perhaps, if you're concerned, and can't find a mooring pin, you could affix something light-coloured to the rope, so people see it earlier. Carrier bags or something similar, like people often do with mooring pins... Good job helping a fellow boater though - I know some people wouldn't bother :)

Top marks for helping and being willing to do something -

(it looks a tidy boat BTW)

I cant see from the pic but is there steel piling at that point - could it have been wound round the piling at the edge and tied back to the boat??

did you ring BW BTW?? they should be able to contact the owner and get them to sort it out or at the very least get some BW bods out to it - particularly if you've had to leave it like that they might respond a bit quicker (dark now so probably a bit too late)

But what ever you did something - last time I found like that at least 3 or 4 people must have walked past it as I approched it (I was boating at the time)... they just ignored it.

Thanks, I'll pop down in the morning and if its still like that I'll try to find something to ram into the bank. I haven't called BW, I wouldn't know where to go to find out what number etc

it's a v quiet stretch

I'd be very afraid of come back from a cyclist, or even a walker, who comes a cropper on this rope across the towpath. Of course you have just shown that you placed the rope across the towpath, so their lawyer will come and find you for compensation.

I bet it's not 5 minutes before someone goes, "this is daft and dangerous" and unties it again, anyway. It's probably better that the boat is drifting about the cut than killing someone.

You could have put it around the piling if there is any.

I must say that the cut rope is suspicious as usually the line is tied back on the boat, did you see the other end?

Mike

Hi. Well done, when I went on a canal boat training course, we found a canal boat that had slipped its moorings, the instructor, myself and other trainees, spent 30 mins or so securing the boat again. The instuctor had just helped a fellow boater, and did not think it unusual. But one of the crew did mention that if any thing was to happen to any one after we had left due to the rescue, ie. ropes, pins, planks etc. the instuctor might be libel under "Tort" law. Didn't know what that meant, still don't, did google it, but brain went bye-bye, but seems if you do something that causes injury, no matter how well intended, you could be libel.

Edited by Picard

I'd leave it for now and ring BW in the morning, they'll tell the owners - it's January - we spent about four days there in September, when I had the flu, as you say it was very quiet - didn't see any cyclists and barely any walkers either. Every time I took the dog out down the towpath I saw no one at all.