Removing toilet tanks

katiemcgatie

Featured Posts

We have two steel toilet waste tanks on our boat that we would like to remove to replace with one new. We are trying to work out best way of having these disposed. Ideally we would want someone to take away for us. However if we did have to remove ourselves what options do we have to dispose of them? They are not fitted so can be moved, although very heavy.

Does anyone know of any persons or companys who do this sort of thing, or of options for disposing of the tanks ourselves?

We have two steel toilet waste tanks on our boat that we would like to remove to replace with one new. We are trying to work out best way of having these disposed. Ideally we would want someone to take away for us. However if we did have to remove ourselves what options do we have to dispose of them? They are not fitted so can be moved, although very heavy.

Does anyone know of any persons or companys who do this sort of thing, or of options for disposing of the tanks ourselves?

Not knowing your location makes it a million dollar question!

Look in your local paper/free paper, there are loads of scrap dealers who will collect for free, or failing that, remove them and leave them out ... they wont be there long before the local gypsies (oops i meant travellers!.. oops again, i mean people that drive transit pick ups and collect "disguarded" scrap metal) come along and help themselves!

Shame you cant get them to a local metal recycling company, scrap is running at around £160 a ton here at the moment... so you may just make a few beer tokens from them!!!

Rick

Edited by dccruiser

if "empty" and sorted of flushed etc then if heavy you could try "cutting" into easier to manage bits and then transport to a recycling co for beer tokens, if in a condition that unlikely to attract "cash" then local authority re-cycling centres will normally take if you bring it a car....

with the cost of new stainless tanks I'd be double checking I couldnt re-use, even if it meant having a new pipe welded on etc..

Thanks for the responses. We did think of scrap metal option but seriously didn't think anyone would want contaminated material, including recycling centres. I will try ringing some metal dealers and see if any are interested in picking up.

It is mild steel by the way, not stainless. We are mainly removing them because we want a different shaped tank for a new layout. However they are relatively old and we thought worth changing while we were re-fitting.

If anyone wants them they are welcome to take them away:)

We are near Northampton on the GU.

hi,

2 Moorers on the mooring removed their waste tanks from their boats (one of these tanks was rusted through) with great difficulty and struggled to move them about on the bank (I can confirm that they were heavy). We thought they would languish in the bushes for ever.

Another moorer had cause to get a 'person with a small tipper truck' onto the moorings to collect other goods and the PWASTT's wife picked up the tanks (one at a time) and carried them about 200 yards to their truck.

We have discouraged other visits.

OFF Topic - IS anyone watching My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding C4 Tuesday 9.00pm.

Leo.