Vetus warranty

dor

Featured Posts

Apparently Vetus have extended their warranty on their engines to five years. According to their press release: "The interests of the boat owner are the most important consideration for Vetus. They want to enjoy life on the water and not be let down by technical failure. They want to have confidence in their boat and the equipment on board. This is the starting point for the development of all new and existing Vetus products."

Now, unless it has changed, the Vetus warranty is subject to the engine being serviced by a Vetus agent every 100 hours.

The more cynical amongst you might suggest that this is merely a way of drumming up more business for their agents. After all, how many boat engines blow up due to manufacturing defects in the first five years.

Edited by dor

Honda also offer a 5 year warranty on their generators, outboards, etc, but in this case they can either be serviced by a main dealer or any competant person as long as they keep a record of what they have done. I got this information from the Honda UK technical people.

So it may be worth calling Vetus UK to see what their position is on this.

Edited by blackrose

Apparently Vetus have extended their warranty on their engines to five years. According to their press release: "The interests of the boat owner are the most important consideration for Vetus. They want to enjoy life on the water and not be let down by technical failure. They want to have confidence in their boat and the equipment on board. This is the starting point for the development of all new and existing Vetus products."

Now, unless it has changed, the Vetus warranty is subject to the engine being serviced by a Vetus agent every 100 hours.

The more cynical amongst you might suggest that this is merely a way of drumming up more business for their agents. After all, how many boat engines blow up due to manufacturing defects in the first five years.

And according to a phone conversation I had with them it is subject to the engine not being run out of gear for more than about 20 minutes.

And according to a phone conversation I had with them it is subject to the engine not being run out of gear for more than about 20 minutes.

Ah, that old chestnut... ;)

If you can do it on a Barrus, Isuzu, etc (with the correct API CC grade oil), then why not on a Vetus?

Ah, that old chestnut... ;)

If you can do it on a Barrus, Isuzu, etc (with the correct API CC grade oil), then why not on a Vetus?

Thats the question - I do not know apart from the big boy minimising warnatee claims. Even more strange when Thronecroft who marinise the same engien do not appear to have the same problem.

I think the 20 minutes maximum out of gear relates to the Technodrive gearbox. I could never understand why the Mitsubishi marinised by Vetus needed servicing every 100 hours when the same engine marinised by others was fine with 250. Except to provide work for Vetus agents of course.

I think the 20 minutes maximum out of gear relates to the Technodrive gearbox. I could never understand why the Mitsubishi marinised by Vetus needed servicing every 100 hours when the same engine marinised by others was fine with 250. Except to provide work for Vetus agents of course.

I can assure you that when I phoned Vetus technical to confirm that and also to ask about a whisper I had heard about a rejected claim they confirmed the run out of gear limit on their engines. To make matters worse they appeared totally nonplussed when I told them that that made them unfit for purpose if sold into the inland market. They seemed unable to comprehend that there may be any need to run for longer out of gear. I just do not understand the differences between what Vetus told me and what one of their larger inland agents told me.

when my Vetus was new and due a service, I did email Vetus pointing out that no Vetus dealer was prepared to travel to my neck of the woods to service the engine. They did reply (shock) and said they would honour the warranty provided genuine Vetus parts were used, and that a competent person carried out the work. I have no idea if this is still the situation, but to anybody in this position, it might be worth an email.

I pressed Vetus once on the running in neutral thing,and they claimed it was running at "tickover" that caused problems. If needing to run out of gear (which they didn't recommend) it was best to run at about 1200 rpm. I am not a mechanical engineer, but I assume it splashes more oil around in the box at these revs?

I do know of one owner first hand who knackered a Vetus box charging at tickover.