Uxbridge, the 'Venice of West London

Hairy-Neil

Featured Posts

As some people on here will already know, I have undertaken quite a lot of historical research, some for myself and some for other people. Unless I can get a very reliable source of information, such as Church Records, Immigratiion Records, or Poor Rate book entries, etc. I always seek a second independant source of information before assuming that the first was accurate. Where I am unable to secure a second source, I am always careful to make this clear in anything i publish

But what if the second source does not corroborate the first? And what validates the second source- do you consult a third?

This is why I became disillusioned with history over my course, nothing ever agrees with everything else and any analysis is completely based upon interpretation and open to challenge. There is no certainty, and it frustrates me terribly.

Many years ago (well, about five), I used to drum into students 'Wikipedia is not an authoritative source; do not rely on it or cite it in your work'.

Now, I get students copying and pasting from such a range of off the wall and rubbish websites, Wikipedia seems like the acme of academic research. :angry:

But what if the second source does not corroborate the first? And what validates the second source- do you consult a third?

This is why I became disillusioned with history over my course, nothing ever agrees with everything else and any analysis is completely based upon interpretation and open to challenge. There is no certainty, and it frustrates me terribly.

That is a fair question. For me corroboration has to be in the form of official records and documents written at the time. So for example an entry in the Poor/Church Rates book alongside an entry in a local trade directory, or lease agreements of the time both indicating that a named person worked in a particular trade, at a particular address in a particular year would be considered adequate corroboration.

There are some records which are so well regarded that corroboration would not be considered essential, one such example would be the Monthly Meeting Minutes, or Records of Distrainment written by the Religious Society of Friends. The Quakers were conciencious to the extreem in maintaing good records, not only because their beliefs required them to be scrupulously honest, but also as they would not swear oaths, they were considered to be "outside the law, and needed to be able to produce documentary evidence to prove ownership when, upon death, property was passed onto a spouse or children.

Edited by David Schweizer

Many years ago (well, about five), I used to drum into students 'Wikipedia is not an authoritative source; do not rely on it or cite it in your work'.

Now, I get students copying and pasting from such a range of off the wall and rubbish websites, Wikipedia seems like the acme of academic research. :angry:

Has anyone plagiarised from anything you've written, then tried to pass it off as their own work?

Has anyone plagiarised from anything you've written, then tried to pass it off as their own work?

Yes. I found some of my research quoted on an American Website masquerading as their own work, which had been stolen from the website of another person who had been given my consent to publish, as it contained information about one of her ancestors.

To cut a long story short, I contacted the person who had my permission, and she contacted the offending publisher. After a some negotiation by her, the work was correctly credited.

I do not charge people for any of the research I do for them, but as I often have to gain consent from the owners of the original documents, I always now insist that a copyright be placed upon the published research referring them back to both myself and the owners of the original documents.

I have only ever had this problem with the US. which is probably why The Canadian Authorities are so severe about reproducing any stored documentation.

Unfortunately Hayes town centre also needs a serious make over

Not sure if this is what the local shop keepers had in mind ... Full article Uxbridge Gazette

AN ASDA superstore proposed for a run-down industrial estate in Hayes Town could create some 400 local jobs, but at what cost to local traders? Plans to regenerate the vast Westlands 3 site in North Hyde Road, a stone's throw away from Hayes and Harlington railway station, have been released, and the developers will be holding a series of public exhibitions where residents can view the plans next week. Hayes Town Partnership chairman David Brough said that although a supermarket south of the canal would be welcomed in principle, its potential impacts would need to be carefully considered.

Latest ...

Narrowboat dock is first step in bringing canal back to life

Jan 19 2011 Uxbridge GazetteUxbridge Gazette

canal-image-1-95186575.jpg

PLANS to regenerate the canal bank in Hayes Town have progressed after Hillingdon Council approved a narrowboat dock. It will accommodate up to nine houseboats, with ramped access to Station Road. But paying for the project could be the major hurdle, with costs estimated at about £250,000.

British Waterways drew up the application. Senior manager Tav Kazmi said: "The regeneration of the canal in Hayes is an essential element in the rejuvenation of the town centre as a whole. "Bringing life and activity to the water means there are more eyes and ears out and about on the canal, which we know from experience in other locations helps minimise anti-social behaviour. "It's likely that we will need to work with private investors and local businesses to develop this scheme, a strategy that we are already working on."

Hayes and Harlington Labour MP John McDonnell expressed his delight at the news after a 10-year campaign, but said that there was a 'long way to go'. "This will greatly assist in opening up the canal and transforming this potentially beautiful area of the town centre," he said. "I am urging the council and Hillingdon Community Trust to work with British Waterways and jointly fund the development of the moorings and the improvement to the canalside area. This scheme should be one of their top priorities."

The project is part of a drive to make the canal an attraction and more welcoming to boat owners as they pass through Hayes. The 93-mile Grand Union Canal, which begins in the Paddington area of London, cuts through the borough before continuing to Birmingham. In recent years there has been a lot of redevelopment of dilapidated waterside land and empty industrial buildings, particularly in the stretch through Uxbridge. The Hayes scheme, called High Point Village, would include temporary moorings and landscaping of the waterfront. Western View, which runs alongside the canal and has deteriorated because of neglect and anti-social behaviour, is also in line for a revamp, and £125,000, some of which is coming from the council's Chrysalis environment improvement programme, has been secured to improve the area.

The council has also pledged to spruce up the overgrown towpath using a £220,000 grant from Transport for London. In recent years it has become a popular spot for street drinkers. Work will start within the next few months. David Brough, chairman of the Hayes Town Partnership, added: "If you walk through the town you might not know there was a canal at all, and if you were on a boat passing through Hayes you could be forgiven for not knowing where you were. "It is a totally underused asset, and our aim is to open it up and make it into an amenity."

* Would you like the waterfront to be more vibrant? What would you like to see there? Email jackgriffith@trinity south.co.uk.

Ummh I'll keep my fingers crossed, but 250K for an access ramp of station road is a tadge high me thinks.. ther is already reasonable set of steps and space behind for an easily angled ramp,.. so 9 berts will cost is only 27,777 each.

a bargin !

not sure who thinks thats a good return, appreciate that there will be other landscaping but other funds also contribute towards that.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Hayes,+middlsex&aq=&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.79107,34.541016&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hayes,+Middlesex,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.503901,-0.416625&spn=0.001013,0.002108&t=h&z=19

this is a disused dock approx 300 metres along the towpath towards bullsbridge from station road hayes..

a developement around this might be interesting..

Yes, but not a student. Another academic whose article I was refereeing for a journal!

Did you know an anagram of Uxbridge is Big Durex. I only live 5 miles away its terrible place.

Bob B

That's better than Ibex Drug.

My link

Hours of fun.

Hmm... I tried to put in the full URL so people could see what they were getting, but it automatically gets rendered as 'my link'. Too clever by half. It's an anagram tube map anyway.

Edited by Chertsey

Indeed, any one who has had a coffee in the grand square will feel equally at home at the golden arches eatery in uxbridge (not).

both have a certain atmosphere in the air, but venice scraps in visually (just)

Yes, but not a student. Another academic whose article I was refereeing for a journal!

That's better than Ibex Drug.

My link

Hours of fun.

Hmm... I tried to put in the full URL so people could see what they were getting, but it automatically gets rendered as 'my link'. Too clever by half. It's an anagram tube map anyway.

I am surprised this is still here, LUL normally get anything based on a tube map pulled.

As a long term resident of (North) Big Duxex / Ankh Mice (Worm hole to Discworld), I think Primo Urinals is very suitable :P