New application for your Iphone

wirren

Featured Posts

http://www.viber.com/

I thought I would share this with you, it is at present only available for Iphone users.

VIBER - Its free to download allowing free calls over the Internet ( to other Viber users ) similar to Skype but uses numbers from your existing phone contacts.

I think its new out so time will tell. It works over wifi or 3G.

I downloaded it last night & called my daughter for free !! ;)

Mark.

Edited by wirren

People who use e.g. Nokias, can also use Skype to call mainland / worldwide calls with a "Skypeout" number - this is a "UK landline number" (so cost may be included in a bundle or at "normal" cellphone rates, which then patches you through to any other number in the world at skype rates ( about 1.5p/minute or less, worldwide or UK...)

I use it extensively to call France and shortly Thailand from the mobile with an included landlines bundle and all they cost is the approx 1p/minute rates... great !

Nick

http://www.viber.com/

I thought I would share this with you, it is at present only available for Iphone users.

VIBER - Its free to download allowing free calls over the Internet ( to other Viber users ) similar to Skype but uses numbers from your existing phone contacts.

I think its new out so time will tell. It works over wifi or 3G.

I downloaded it last night & called my daughter for free !! ;)

Mark.

That is an excellent tip thanks - Jan has an iphone so we can chat for free and daughter has an Blackbery and I see from the link that they intend to bring out a BB version too.

Thanks again.

Don't forget the other iPhone user has to have the Viber app

Yep, I've picked that up! Just been on to everyone I know with an iPhone to get them to download the app too. But on the Viber page here

http://itunes.apple.com/app/viber-free-phone-calls/id382617920?mt=8

there are some not good reviews if you scroll down....

What happened to 3 penny coins in a slot, await answer and press button A. No answer press button B and get money back.

Also how many boys in the 1950s could walk past a phone box and not push botton B?

Frank (as I await a lift off to the pub and a family christmas day

• 3 months later...

VOIP will only work as more people connect to a common network, use Skype it's become the standard using another system like this will not benefit anyone and so it will die a quick and quiet death.

It's no coincidence there's only one eBay, Facebook and google despite many attempts by competitors

Edited by Chris Pink

VOIP will only work as more people connect to a common network, use Skype it's become the standard using another system like this will not benefit anyone and so it will die a quick and quiet death.

It's no coincidence there's only one eBay, Facebook and google despite many attempts by competitors

Yes I agree. Do you know if Skype has video calling for Symbian phones yet?

Fring offered this over a year ago with Skype as a third party client & it worked! Unfortunately it must have embarrassed Skype & they killed the fring association without offering video calling themselves. :(

Edited by richardhula

Yes I agree. Do you know if Skype has video calling for Symbian phones yet?

Fring offered this over a year ago with Skype as a third party client & it worked! Unfortunately it must have embarrassed Skype & they killed the fring association without offering video calling themselves. :(

don't know, I have an iphone and the video calling works a treat, it is quite magic to have a video call with someone in France while you're sat on top of a hill