Steam tunnel tug Hasty

andywatson

Featured Posts

For those who are enjoying Steve G's Siskin build blog see below a link to another build project currently ongoing at Brinklow.

http://www.tunneltug.org.uk/The_Hull.html

The link takes you to the hull build page but from the home page you can access information about the steam plant.

IMO Another classy boat.

Ahhhh, there we go!

It was mentioned to me about this recently, at the audlem banter prehap,s and thought it might be Keith's boat, previously the project going by the name of antelope (still has the photos of said at the head each page) but I see its now being modeled on another boat 'Hasty'. Good work, glad its progressing well, look forward to seeing it!!

Daniel

I love the shape of the swims!

Finally, a decent swim on a modern "replica" boat. Not sure about the shallow draft... 3' 2"? Nearly a pleasure craft! Going to be a nice boat though.

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

Finally, a decent swim on a modern "replica" boat. Not sure about the shallow draft... 3' 2"? Nearly a pleasure craft! Going to be a nice boat though.

Mike

Yes, we all like the vertically tapered swim but at what cost.......

I've been thinking about (= agonising over) the swim of my boat.

On a Dave Harris boat it adds about £1500-£1700 to the cost of the hull plus a bit more to the fit out.

I've spoken to various owners both with and without.

Those with them say they are great and the boat goes well and steers well in reverse.

Those without say the same (!)

Dave who knows a thing or two about this, says it makes negligible difference and will build whatever you like.

And to think I laugh at my wife when she spends 5 minutes with the chart choosing from a box of chocolates.

Dave who knows a thing or two about this, says it makes negligible difference and will build whatever you like.

Depending on the design, I find it pulls more water from the bottom of the cut thus reducing the wash and pull on moored boats. Victoria has a very short swim but I can still have a good few revs on passing boats without a problem.

Mike

Yes, we all like the vertically tapered swim but at what cost.......

I've been thinking about (= agonising over) the swim of my boat.

On a Dave Harris boat it adds about £1500-£1700 to the cost of the hull plus a bit more to the fit out.

I've spoken to various owners both with and without.

Those with them say they are great and the boat goes well and steers well in reverse.

Those without say the same (!)

And to think I laugh at my wife when she spends 5 minutes with the chart choosing from a box of chocolates.

Andy

You know you want one ;) Go on treat yourself

Steve:lol:

Hello Andy,

I had forgotten that I was a member of this forum until Daniel (Dhutch) of Emily Anne was kind enough to point me in the direction of this thread. The last time I was involved was when I purchased the tug Tooley's "Harry" on the K&A which was burned out by vandals two days after I agreed it's purchase.

With regards to the swim, I didn't really have a choice. Steve has made a major contribution the hull design and considering the depth and the diameter of the prop he was convinced that the tapered swim was essential and I was happy to be guided by his extensive experiance. The length of the swim is 14 feet so there should be plenty of water accessing the prop. In order to get the proportions and clearance on a 31" prop we had considered a draught of 40 - 41" but didn't have the guts and cut it down to the current 38" we might even trim an inch if the prop to maintain ample clearance. It's also worth remembering that the prop will only be doing 250rpm max so it's a bit like a paddle steamer, this being the case any additional clearance in front of the prop is worth while.

As for the benefits of the tapered swim regarding handling, I am hoping that it steers as well as most people say it should but as it is going to be coal fuled I am also hoping for efficiency as well. I think it also looks more pleasing but as it spends most of it's time below the water line this doesn't really matter.

Andy, I guess it must be worth something or it wouldn't cost so much more.

Andy

You know you want one ;) Go on treat yourself

Steve:lol:

Well you know how it is.

Mrs W played up when I told her we'd be sitting on (scumbled) orange boxes to pay for the 5 plank bow and fighting over a li-lo to pay for the inset panels.

Can anyone tell me how I'll justify the £1.50 Wilko's toilet to pay for the tapered swim.

- And avoid wearing it on my head.

Mrs W played up when I told her we'd be sitting on (scumbled) orange boxes to pay for the 5 plank bow ....

Nothing wrong with that, ive got a photo of everyone in emilyanne, nothing but a the stove and a 240v worklight, sat around on tea boxes and skip rescued stool eating curry out of the foil trays. We still have the stool....!

Daniel

Nice bit of video of a tug right at the end of this video.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=10143

Nice clip thanks.

What made the biggest impression for me was that tug appearing at 1-50.

Now isn't that the ugliest boat you have ever seen!

Roll up . Roll up. A virtual pint for anyone who can trump that one!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well done :clapping:

You must be well chuffed now it(?)'s in the water.

Looks like you'll be needing a fair bit of ballast ;)

What's the planned draught?

It's not mine, it's "tunneltug's".

Have a look on his website for more details.

What's the planned draught?

From post #8 above:

In order to get the proportions and clearance on a 31" prop we had considered a draught of 40 - 41" but didn't have the guts and cut it down to the current 38" we might even trim an inch if the prop to maintain ample clearance.

Tony