Pproposed Aylesbury Arm Development

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

From A friends Facebook page:

THE AYLESBURY ARM NEEDS YOUR HELP! Arla’s Milk Processing Factory, It will be a 110 acres industrial complex covered with structures including 30 metre high silos bordering the Aylesbury Arm from Buckland Br. above Lock 12 to College Rd at Lock 13. The unique rural nature of the Aylesbury Arm will be nonexistent for almost the whole of the last 4 miles into Aylesbury

There are to be consultation evenings on:

Wednesday 8 December 2010 from 6:00pm until 8:30pm at Weston Turville Village Hall, School Approach, Weston Turville HP22 5RW

Thursday 9 December 2010 from 4:00pm until 7:30pm at Anthony Hall, London Road, Aston Clinton HP22 5HG

Thursday 9 December 2010 between 8.30pm and 9.30pm at Buckland Village Hall,

Buckland Village, Ayslesbury HP22 5HU

Big scale for sure ...

Arla seeks public feedback on superdairy application 02-Dec-2010 Food Manufacture

Arla Foods will seek feedback from local residents in Aylesbury next week about its plans to build a 1bn litre 'superdairy' on a 70-acre site in Ashton Clinton. Arla, which revealed the proposed location of its £150m dairy in September after securing the land, has yet to submit a formal planning application for the dairy it plans to build on it, a spokeswoman told FoodManufacture.co.uk. "We have an agreement in place with the land owner, which was why we put out a statement in September, but we have yet to submit the full planning application. We're working very closely with the local council and residents and we're inviting people to comment on the application on December 9 and 10." The full application would be submitted formally some time during the winter, she said. However, Arla remained confident that the dairy would be operational at some point in 2012.

Susan Kitchen from the planning department at Aylesbury Vale District Council, said: "Arla is carrying out pre-application community engagement, which we would encourage for a project of this scale. We also need a statement of community involvement." When the location was unveiled in September, Arla said that Aylesbury had emerged as the front‐runner out of several possible locations as it offered the "best overall logistics solution to service Arla’s customers, when considering both raw milk collection from farm and finished product to the retailers. It also provides the best access to a densely populated area".

Project management for the new dairy, which is being billed as the most "environmentally advanced in the world" is being handled by Jakob Wielandt Nielsen, who will be responsible for finalising the design of the dairy, appointing contractors and overseeing its construction and installation. While the dairy would shake up the market, most analysts predict it will not add significant net capacity to the UK liquid milk processing sector as Arla is widely expected to close plants in Ashby, Hatfield Peverel and Oakthorpe as it comes on-stream.

“The headline 1bn-litre figure is not necessarily as bad as it seems," Shore Capital analyst Clive Black told FoodManufacture.co.uk in May. "We believe that Arla will close three plants into the new one.”

From A friends Facebook page:

THE AYLESBURY ARM NEEDS YOUR HELP! Arla’s Milk Processing Factory, It will be a 110 acres industrial complex covered with structures including 30 metre high silos bordering the Aylesbury Arm from Buckland Br. above Lock 12 to College Rd at Lock 13. The unique rural nature of the Aylesbury Arm will be nonexistent for almost the whole of the last 4 miles into Aylesbury

Tim,

Whilst I feel sure this is not good news, unless I'm missing something, the distance mentioned is only about half a mile, isn't it ?

Where does the "almost the whole of the last 4 miles into Aylesbury" come into it ?

Surely the arm is only circa 6 miles in total, or thereabouts ?

I did wonder myself but think that this massive development is so completely out of character to the Aylesbury Arm so I let it through!

Tim,

Whilst I feel sure this is not good news, unless I'm missing something, the distance mentioned is only about half a mile, isn't it ?

Where does the "almost the whole of the last 4 miles into Aylesbury" come into it ?

Surely the arm is only circa 6 miles in total, or thereabouts ?

Edited by Tim Lewis

Ah I knew about this, personally cant see the problem.

Do we not enjoy boating in industrial landscapes (BCN etc.)?

Also lock 12-13 is hardly the whole way into Aylesbury.

Plus the fact it will bring employment to the area all in all a good thing IMO

Ah I knew about this, personally cant see the problem.

Do we not enjoy boating in industrial landscapes (BCN etc.)?

Also lock 12-13 is hardly the whole way into Aylesbury.

Plus the fact it will bring employment to the area all in all a good thing IMO

I don't suppose the employees at the three dairies they intend closing will agree with you and Aylesbury is hardly an unemployment blackspot!

Tim

Hi,

This development would be a 'blott' on the landscape in more ways than one. It would be accessed by Red House lane which already provides access to the klargester Manufacturing plant and the Re-cyling /disposal center(the latter much closer to the by-pass).

Not sure if the proposed development involves the intensive farming of dairy cattle (I suspect it does) but the area drains via the canal through the Aylesbury basin so any problems with sewage/slurry disposal will put pressure on the canal/Bearbrook.

Aston Clinton already has one 'Cowtel' or large dairy not sure if they will want another one.

How many jobs will be provided?, these big dairies are highly mechanised and require very little direct labour, Most of the cows will be undercover due to the high water table locally and the land comprising mainly clay.

As stated earlier the water run off is a worrying point, bearing in mind previous floods in the Stocklake area of Aylesbury.

It will be an intersting one to watch.

Leo.