Bilge Pumps

Frankieboy

Featured Posts

Afternoon all,

Am planning on getting a small bilge pump that I can drop ion the cabin bilge over winter to pump out any water (from condensation etc).

All chandlers stock the Rule ones but have seen some on Ebay stocked by some marine suppliers that look the same but are not made by Rule. They're also half the price. (£7 as opposed to £12 for a Rule)

Is it worth getting one or should I stick to the brand name?

The only purpose is to take the occasional bit of water out of the bilge so doesnt have to be that fantastic really.

Cheers

Frank

Afternoon all,

Am planning on getting a small bilge pump that I can drop ion the cabin bilge over winter to pump out any water (from condensation etc).

All chandlers stock the Rule ones but have seen some on Ebay stocked by some marine suppliers that look the same but are not made by Rule. They're also half the price. (£7 as opposed to £12 for a Rule)

The only purpose is to take the occasional bit of water out of the bilge so doesnt have to be that fantastic really.

Cheers

Frank

You'll probably find that any pump will do as a rule (sorry - couldn't resist)

I've never used it, but when the shower pump failed I replaced it and managed to rig a repair to the original: it is waiting for a job such as this, it works, and as long as it's not critical (that is, you've got a day or two to sort something else out if it doesn't work) that's fine

Afternoon all,

Cheers

Frank

The pump will only take the water down to about 120mm so that would be a lot of condensation.

Down to 120mm????

Am sure the one on our last boat got the engine bilge down to half an inch or so.

As its a new build etc, am not really expecting much in terms of leaks etc, and am hoping to keep condensation very minimal.

Am just planning based on our last boat.

Last winter on that boat I spent a good amount of time sponging out the back of the cabin bilge with freezing cold water. A pump would have made it much easier. Then again, I was suspecting a water tank leak at the time which may explain some of the water.

Also, just to clarify, was only thinkng of a pump with a manual switch, not one with a float switch.

Down to 120mm????

Am sure the one on our last boat got the engine bilge down to half an inch or so.

As its a new build etc, am not really expecting much in terms of leaks etc, and am hoping to keep condensation very minimal.

Am just planning based on our last boat.

Last winter on that boat I spent a good amount of time sponging out the back of the cabin bilge with freezing cold water. A pump would have made it much easier. Then again, I was suspecting a water tank leak at the time which may explain some of the water.

Also, just to clarify, was only thinkng of a pump with a manual switch, not one with a float switch.

Just a thought but are you building this boat to the RCD?

Strictly speaking the pumping rate of the bilge pump should be a minimum size that depends on boat length - it's all in ISO 15083.

I got caught with this one having bought a pump that was too small for a 60 footer. (BSS doesn't care but RCD does!)

I solved it by buying a second pump.

Richard

The pump in the engine bay will be the standard that seem to be in all engine bays. A rule one (I think 500gph).

The one Im questionning will just go in the cabin bilge for temporary use. Would this still need to be a certain size for RCD. Our last boat didnt have one at all in the cabin bilge, it was a sponge and bucket job.

Yes, but American pump makers struggle with metric:

http://www.johnson-pump.com/jpmarine/vikingcompact/index.html

I quote from the site:

"Accessories and its installation complies with ”ISO 15083 Small craft – Bilge pumping systems”.

Accessories can be used on boats of design categories A, B, C and D, according to ISO 15083 with hull length greater than 12 m (59 ft)".

UNQUOTE

Strictly speaking the pumping rate of the bilge pump should be a minimum size that depends on boat length - it's all in ISO 15083.