Barton Aqueduct

Liam

Featured Posts

Just got off the phone to Mike Webb of the Bridgwater Canal Co. who says that the Barton Aqueduct (The Tank) is currently closed. One of the pipes has blown meaning that it's currently out of action and won't be fixed until AT LEAST Monday as they are waiting on a replacement part at the moment.

For more info you can call Mike Webb on 0161 629 8266.

Liam

• 1 month later...

Spoke to Mike Webb this morning (Bridgewater Canal Co.)

The Aqueduct is still closed, as is the whole of the Bridgewater Canal. A survey will take place tomorrow (Friday 14th Jan) and if the ice has gone the Aqueduct mechanism will be tested.

Repairs have been carried out but testing has been delayed due to the bad weather.

I don't know if this is relavent; when I spoke to a friend up there, they've been led to beleive that the canal is under complete obervation and many of the locks closed awaiting checks for ice damage.

Neither of us have heard of the canal being shut down though

That one, and the one's joining to the Rochadale; which although aren't under the administration of Peel Holdings, can adversly affect the Bridgwater if they are damaged during ice.

Too much water being sent down would be a nightmare for repairs beacause of flooding, and the possibility of that brand new cyclist towpath being washed away :rolleyes:

You mean the towpath that the kids have been pulling up in lumps and throwing into the canal for the past 6 months! :lol:

Maybe if there's a bit more water in the Bridgewater now I won't have to go trolley hopping :cheers:

That one, and the one's joining to the Rochadale; which although aren't under the administration of Peel Holdings, can adversly affect the Bridgwater if they are damaged during ice.

Too much water being sent down would be a nightmare for repairs beacause of flooding, and the possibility of that brand new cyclist towpath being washed away :rolleyes:

The Bridgewater has water level monitoring points throughout its length, presumable read at some central location

Charles

• Greenie 1

I've just walked the length from The Tank to Kelloggs and there is no difference in the water levels than what it usually is.

A boat has gone through this stretch, although the ice is much thinner now, it has been broken up into lots of little bits than are floating around in groups, something that wouldn't happen with a normal thaw.

I don't know if this is relavent; when I spoke to a friend up there, they've been led to beleive that the canal is under complete obervation and many of the locks closed awaiting checks for ice damage.

Neither of us have heard of the canal being shut down though

There are no locks on the Bridgewater, unless you count the one going down onto the River Irwell/Manchester Ship Canal?

Runcorn Locks are on the Bridgewater Canal, but they need a bit more than ice damage sorting out.

David

• Greenie 1

An email update from Mike Webb...

Update on Ice affecting the Navigation and operation of Barton Aqueduct

Notice is hereby given that due to a thaw in the ice Barton Aqueduct (located on the Leigh Branch of the Bridgewater Canal) is now open and operational. Unfortunately not all of the Bridgewater Canal is free of ice, which in places remains up to 2 inches thick.

We suggest that navigation of the canal is not undertaken prior to weekend and that boat owners then wishing to navigate the canal must proceed with extreme caution until the risk of ice is gone. This will avoid damage to both your craft and craft owned by other boat owners.

The Bridgewater Canal Company

Peel Dome

The Trafford Centre

Manchester

M17 8PL

An email update from Mike Webb...

Update on Ice affecting the Navigation and operation of Barton Aqueduct

Notice is hereby given that due to a thaw in the ice Barton Aqueduct (located on the Leigh Branch of the Bridgewater Canal) is now open and operational. Unfortunately not all of the Bridgewater Canal is free of ice, which in places remains up to 2 inches thick.

We suggest that navigation of the canal is not undertaken prior to weekend and that boat owners then wishing to navigate the canal must proceed with extreme caution until the risk of ice is gone. This will avoid damage to both your craft and craft owned by other boat owners.

The Bridgewater Canal Company

Peel Dome

The Trafford Centre

Manchester

M17 8PL

Two boats through here Dutton this afternoon, heading North.

Tim

I am delighted to report that a boat from Castlefield has gone past us here at Astley Green this lunchtime! So after all but two months, we are now free to escape!! We only came for a coal delivery, way back in November .....

So, the ice is all but gone now - we can get on with our travels!!! And a very welcome tank of water ....

I am delighted to report that a boat from Castlefield has gone past us here at Astley Green this lunchtime! So after all but two months, we are now free to escape!! We only came for a coal delivery, way back in November .....

So, the ice is all but gone now - we can get on with our travels!!! And a very welcome tank of water ....

Astley Green, your bringing back some happy boating memories for us mentioning there