water pump troubles

jampot

Featured Posts

Hi

we are having problems with our Johnson Aqua Jet water pump and it's only 8 months old. It isn't keeping the pressure up. When we turn on the tap it runs for a bit and then stops and then takes, say a minute, for the pump to activate and start the water running again. it's even worse when we take a shower! We have tried various different pressures but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Anyone had any similar trouble with this brand of pump and knows how to solve it or anyone got any ideas please?

many thanks

Sounds like a problem with the pressure switch. I'm not familiar with the Aquajet, but if the switch is built into the pump, there is usually a small hole that lets water activate the switch. This can get blocked, whch can lead to the symptoms described.

I once dealt with a similar problem on a remote switch: Water pressure was high but when a tap was on the pressure dropped to almost nothing, and then gradually increased to power wash territory, before dropping again when the pump eventually cut out. The cause was a blockage in the "T" piece that the switch was fitted to.

Iain

P.S. If it is a built in switch, be careful when dismantling. There is a spring which will, if allowed, take the switch apart for you. However, it will not put it back together again :wacko:

thank you - we thought it might be the pressure switch. We don't have a warranty on the pump as they told us they won't give it to liveaboards - apparently to do with the fact we have a washing machine. I know, don't ask me why !!

thank you - we thought it might be the pressure switch. We don't have a warranty on the pump as they told us they won't give it to liveaboards - apparently to do with the fact we have a washing machine. I know, don't ask me why !!

I think you still have a reasonable case under Trade Descriptions to claim that this product is not fit for purpose.

"It is reasonable to assume that the pump should be capable of pumping water for a period of at least a year"

Have a quick word with your local Trading Standards Ossifers

Edited by Grace & Favour

If you do not fancy a fight then simply fit an external pressure switch which are available from chandlers. Double

square is the make - I think. Disconnect the two wires going into the pressure switch end of the pump and connect those to the new switch which is fitted on the taps side of the pump. The new switch is adjustable without invalidating any warranty, has big, long lasting contacts plus a large 6mm + hole connecting its diaphragm to the water pressure so its reliable.

If you do not fancy a fight then simply fit an external pressure switch which are available from chandlers. Double

square is the make - I think. Disconnect the two wires going into the pressure switch end of the pump and connect those to the new switch which is fitted on the taps side of the pump. The new switch is adjustable without invalidating any warranty, has big, long lasting contacts plus a large 6mm + hole connecting its diaphragm to the water pressure so its reliable.

Or are you thinking of "Square D" ? They're very good

My water pump started spraying water from the casing two days ago after 4 years of using it 24/7 as a liveaboard. We fitted it after our original sureflow completely died after two year.

The replacement was a Jabsco and has been totally reliable until 2 days ago. I phoned ITT/Jabsco and they were very helpful sending me some new connectors next day incase there was a blockage. I decided that after 4 years of continuous use, I would replace it anyway and maybe see if I can repair the old one as a spare. Jabsco assured me that the new pump had a 3 year guarantee and being a liveaboard would make no difference.

I fitted the new pump this morning with no problems. It is a Jabsco 31395-0292 and cost me £66

Roger

Hi - I have exactly the same problem with my Johnson Aqua Jet pump. It was fine when I first fitted it but now it cycles on and off so slowly that my boiler only just kicks in before the lack of pressure turns if off again. My showers are luke warm at best and no fun during these freezing November mornings! Going to check my local chandlers for a separate pressure switch or failing that buy another Jabsco. Much better quality.

Hi

we are having problems with our Johnson Aqua Jet water pump and it's only 8 months old. It isn't keeping the pressure up. When we turn on the tap it runs for a bit and then stops and then takes, say a minute, for the pump to activate and start the water running again. it's even worse when we take a shower! We have tried various different pressures but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Anyone had any similar trouble with this brand of pump and knows how to solve it or anyone got any ideas please?

many thanks

SOLVED!!! Fed up with cold showers using my Aqua Jet pump I decided to have a go a fixing it myself. After all, if I sent the old one away I'd be without a pump so I'd have to buy a new one anyway. Just under a little paper sticker at the pointy end of the pump (I think it said something like 20psi) is an Allen screw which adjusts the pressure. About 2 clockwise turns on this with an Allen key and the problem is solved!! Great pressure and more than enough to run my boiler constantly and have lashings of hot water! If you decided to try this it will almost certanly invalidate your warranty (they'd probably try and wriggle out of it anyway) but it worked a treat for me and saved me about £50 on Ebay for a new pump.

SOLVED!!! Fed up with cold showers using my Aqua Jet pump I decided to have a go a fixing it myself. After all, if I sent the old one away I'd be without a pump so I'd have to buy a new one anyway. Just under a little paper sticker at the pointy end of the pump (I think it said something like 20psi) is an Allen screw which adjusts the pressure. About 2 clockwise turns on this with an Allen key and the problem is solved!! Great pressure and more than enough to run my boiler constantly and have lashings of hot water! If you decided to try this it will almost certanly invalidate your warranty (they'd probably try and wriggle out of it anyway) but it worked a treat for me and saved me about £50 on Ebay for a new pump.

Welcome to the forum Mike, I have used a inline pressure switch in the past, still have it for emergency use.

Phil