Middlewich to Wrenbury

daveyboi2050

Featured Posts

Hi fellow forums members. this is my first topic so please be gentle!!!

iam setting off from Middlewich on Thurs and was wondering how long it would take to cruise up to Wrenbury?

have done the Llangollen canal lots of times but always started at Ellsmere or Trevor so never been the full lengh only as far down as

Wrenbury so will be nice to see Hurlston Junc/locks.

This will also be my first Winter cruise. have cruised in late october and early march every year though so not much difference only the

hours of day light!

happy boating

Dave

thanks very mich for your fast reply " soldthehouse"

it says 9 hours but i have seen somewere over last few days that it was only 4 hours

so now slighty confused!

"doesnt take much i may add"

not too fussed to be honest just wondering were our first over night mooring will be

as long as we make barbridge junc

Its about 6 or 7 hours - and its lovely scenery all the way.

thanks David and Julie

that sounds a bit more realistic!

hapy cruisng

DAVE

thanks very mich for your fast reply " soldthehouse"

it says 9 hours but i have seen somewere over last few days that it was only 4 hours

so now slighty confused!

not too fussed to be honest just wondering were our first over night mooring will be

as long as we make barbridge junc

;)

I believe CanalPlan has a default setting of 2.5 mph, so if you were to go at something

approaching 4 mph (not too difficult at this time of year, I would imagine) then that

would reduce significantly the 'passage' time. (btw, do you know that boi in portuguese

means ox, bull, or bullock?).

It's about 4 hours from the Middlewich hire base to Hurleston. You then have nine locks as well as several miles to Wrenbury; although they are only small locks, allow another four hours, especially as you will be going against the current on the Llangollen. There are also a couple of lift bridges to negotiate. Whilst 4 mph might be possible on some canals at this time of the year, the Middlewich Branch & the Llangollen canal are both shallow narrow canals and you will struggle to do 4 mph along much of it without damaging the bank.

If you are travelling at a sensible pace, watch out for kingfishers both on the Shroppie main line and on the Llangollen. I've seen several in the last few weeks. There appears to be a pair with Hurleston in the middle of their territory.

I believe CanalPlan has a default setting of 2.5 mph, so if you were to go at something

approaching 4 mph (not too difficult at this time of year, I would imagine) then that

would reduce significantly the 'passage' time. (btw, do you know that boi in portuguese

means ox, bull, or bullocks

Yes i was wondering if it had a default setting as it says its 5 hours from ellsemere junc to

jack myton at hindford! which of course just over 3 miles and takes around 2 and hour/3 hours

no didnt no about boi but it has been my nick name for many years

It's about 4 hours from the Middlewich hire base to Hurleston. You then have nine locks as well as several miles to Wrenbury; although they are only small locks, allow another four hours, especially as you will be going against the current on the Llangollen. There are also a couple of lift bridges to negotiate. Whilst 4 mph might be possible on some canals at this time of the year, the Middlewich Branch & the Llangollen canal are both shallow narrow canals and you will struggle to do 4 mph along much of it without damaging the bank.

If you are travelling at a sensible pace, watch out for kingfishers both on the Shroppie main line and on the Llangollen. I've seen several in the last few weeks. There appears to be a pair with Hurleston in the middle of their territory.

hi thanks for your reply prob just moor up at barbridge junc for the night. as logn as we have a nice warm pub that does food

is this the case at barbridge junc?

Edited by daveyboi2050

hi thanks for your reply prob just moor up at barbridge junc for the night. as logn as we have a nice warm pub that does food

is this the case at barbridge junc?

There are two pubs at Barbridge. The Jolly Tar, opposite the junction itself, is lively with live music of variable quality, the volume often being in inverse proportion to the talent on display. I've not eaten there for some time so don't know what the food is like. The Barbridge Inn, a few hundred yards towards Hurlrston, does adequate food. It's typical pub grub, reasonably priced and the draught beer is usually good.

If you are stopping in Wrenbury for the night, the Dusty Miller does good food but very expensive. It's just being taken over by someone who wants to turn it into "a proper gastro-pub" which probably means prices will go up even more. The Cotton Arms just down the road is a more down-to-earth place with reasonable food.

Most probably a silly question but have you checked the stoppages?

hi cotswoldman yes checked for stoppages middlewich branch clear and shroppie clear to hurlston junc and llangollen clear to llangollen

but there is a stoppage on the llangollen right up at the top end but wouldnt affect cruisng and you can still get to the basin at llangollen but it says the levels ae low!

You could take your time and stop after 4 hours just above the lock near Venetian Marina and go for an "all day breakfast" at the cafe before continuing to Barbridge for the night.

Steve

we are leavinng middlewich at 11 o clock so will most prob just potter down to barbridge junc

Edited by daveyboi2050

In addition, there are lengths of linear moorings, so very slow past them. Sometimes boats on both sides of you...

Beautiful though, have fun!

Dor, have you any idea whether the Jazz band still play on a Thursday at the Barbridge or if they've gone do you have any idea where they now play?

Hi D&J

I'm pretty sure that the Salt City Jazzmen no longer play at Barbridge. I'm pretty certain that they now play up the road at the Jolly Tar, but the night might have changed.

approaching 4 mph (not too difficult at this time of year, I would imagine)

Your imagination is wildly at odds with the facts!

CanalPlan has a default of 2.5mph, because that is a realistic average speed.

4mph may well be the speed limit, but it is VERY seldom possible to go that fast.

On many stretches of narrow canal, 3mph is all that can be achieved, and allowing for moored boats and the flow on the Llangollen, 2.5mph seems to be a good target.

CanalPlan timings don't allow anything for congestion, so the fact that we are at a non-busy time will mean that you have a fair chance of achieving the times, NOT that you will do better.

It is also worth bearing in mind that we could have slippery conditions which may mean that stiding across open gates isn't possible, which will slow progress through locks.

We've often (with two on board) done Preston Brook to Wrenbury, and, when really needed, we can do this in a long day (13 hours) assuming no hold ups. The timings for our 13 hours are(more or less) Preston Brook Tunnel to Middlewich (by the park) between 5.1/2 - 6 hours. From there to Barbridge about 4 hours . Barbridge to Hurleston 30mins and about 2.1/2 hours on the Llangollen.

Thats why I said about 6 or 7 hours - perhaps 6 is optimistic - but its very quiet at the moment so there shouldn't be any hold ups or baulking slower boats, and water levels should be OK too.

I'm beginning to think I must speed but I don't seem to.:huh: