Selecting a route

Allie

Featured Posts

Hi all!

Thank you for your guidance in selecting a boat hire firm. We have decided to rent the 56' Concerto from Rose for the first two weeks in October. She was built in 2004, so hopefully will be in decent shape! The assured us that no changes were anticipated if the company sells and our contract will remain as-is.

Our next hurdle is selecting which route to take. I would love to hear from you with suggestions. We would prefer to mainly stay on the canals rather than rivers, As for scenery, we enjoy the quiet village and country atmosphere rather than the more industrial city areas. Hopefully that will help narrow it down a bit.

Where would you go for two weeks from Rugby? Where would you stop? Any pubs or other places we should visit?

Thanks again for all your help!

Allie

Hi all!

Thank you for your guidance in selecting a boat hire firm. We have decided to rent the 56' Concerto from Rose for the first two weeks in October. She was built in 2004, so hopefully will be in decent shape! The assured us that no changes were anticipated if the company sells and our contract will remain as-is.

Our next hurdle is selecting which route to take. I would love to hear from you with suggestions. We would prefer to mainly stay on the canals rather than rivers, As for scenery, we enjoy the quiet village and country atmosphere rather than the more industrial city areas. Hopefully that will help narrow it down a bit.

Where would you go for two weeks from Rugby? Where would you stop? Any pubs or other places we should visit?

Allie

Go up the Ashby canal that is very rural with no locks. Also down to Braunston then either stay on oxford canal towards Banbury or head off down the Grand Union towards Milton Keynes these canals are nearly all countryside with not many locks to start with. It shouldn't be that busy on any of these stretches by October but they do get busy in the summer.

I am a great believer in a ring for a holiday - yes I know that commits you to being at a certain place by a certain time, but you have 2 weeks!

Two years ago we travelled this ring in a week with an inexperienced crew of 20 sixth formers (on 2 boats). We are doing the same this year, last year the chosen route was the Stourport ring - which I did not enjoy as much.

See this link for a diary of the trip. we pushed it at times, but it was fantastic.

The contrast between rural, urban decay and urban regeneration cannot be beaten, not to mention some of the pubs! In 2 weeks you could do the Black Country museum and afford to spend some time exploring some of the lesser known section sof the BCN - something I would love to spend some more time doing.

Very much looking forward to this year's trip - 3 boats, 30 kids and 4 staff (GULP), mind you at least we are taking some experienced crew members unlike last year where I was the only experienced person, which made for an interesting first couple of days, not to mention running aground in an effort to give them some locking experience in Birmingham.

Enjoy!

Hi all!

Allie

In 2 weeks you can easily complete a ring. Head south from Rugby to Braunston, take the Grand Union to Warwick and Lapworth, sneak into Birmingham from the South and take the Birmingham & Fazeley to (surprise, surprise) Fazeley, onto the Coventry Canal to Hawkesbury Junction and back on the Northern Oxford to Rugby (that's the sad bit -your holiday comes to an end). Canal Planner tells me that's about 103 miles and 120 locks. It should take about 55 hours of cruising time leaving you plenty of time for breaks (lunches in pubs, sight seeing and shopping). You might even manage side trips up the Ashby and to Coventry Basin.

This ring offers amazing variety - rural and urban canals, big flights of locks (Hatton and farmers Bridge) and long, lock free pounds with a couple of tunnels thrown in. You will be spoilt for choice as far as stopping places are concerned with everything from the cheap and cheerful local boozer to rather swish and credit card crunching restaurants. Don't dismiss it because of the urban stretches - they have a magic all of their own and don't last too long.

Too be honest, listing all the potential stopping places would take all night and the OCM is yawning hard. Use the mihalis planner to get an idea of the route, do some Internet research and come back with more questions. We will try to answer them. Good luck.

Thank you, thank you all! That's precisely what I was hoping for! I will pour over my canal map, check online and return with more questions, I am sure.

I appreciate you taking the time to assist me.

Allie

Hi all!

bit.

Allie

I live in Rugby and there lots of rings you can do in a fortnight with no great pressure. I see someone has suggested the Warwick Ring. When doing this I would always take the North Stratford Canal from Lapworth as this connects you to the Birmingham and Fazeley which in turn takes you through Gas Street Basin. You can moor outside Symphony Court (by the sea life centre) and have a good night out in the Broad Street area.

Another ring is the Black Country Ring, Go north up the Oxford and Coventry Canals to Fradley, Up the T&M to Gt Heywood, down the Staffs and Worcester through Tixall Wide (lovely) down to Aldersley Junction, up the Wolverhampton 21 and along the BCN to Birmingham . A good place to moor is the Black Country Museum (Very secure) After leaving Gas street area (down Farmer Bridge locks) do not moor overnight untill you get to Wiggins Hill Bridge (By a pub). (about 4 1/2 hours) then you're safe all the way back to Brinklow (Except for parts of Nuneaton, Kids mainly)

That is fascinating trip a mixture of rural and uban Going down Farmers Bridge locks is a really good experience. Under buildings and the like.

Another trip is the Leicester ring which can be done either way, but I favour clockwise. Oxford and Coventry canals to Fradley. turn Right along the T&M throught Alrewas where there is a short river section. Down all the way to Shardlow a proper boating village. join the river Trent down to to Trent lock and turn right up the River Soar (Beautiful) the up the river all the way to Leicester. Moor before Thurmaston Lock and go through Leicester in a single day to Kilby Bridge. By this time you are back on the canal. If you have time go up the Market Harborough and Welford arms before joining the GU proper at Norton Junction. Right again into Braunston Tunnel and Up the Oxford to Brinklow. This is a really beautiful trip easily accomplished in two weeks at the rate of about 4-5 hours per day.

As you can see there are plenty of suggestions if you need any more info PM me and I will help all I can. Remeber half the fun is in the planning, but don't overplan as there are lots of things to see on the way round on all these trips.

Have a good holiday BTW Brian Ambrose at Rose will be able to advise you as well

Tony. :lol:

Edited by tony collins

Tony,

I really do appreciate your suggestions. If you don't mind, I do have (a million) more questions. At the moment we are leaning toward the Leicester ring. I'm so glad that you mentioned that you prefer clockwise -- that was a question I had in my mind earlier today!

We will be arriving a day ahead (Friday Sept. 29) so we can rest up and shop. Perhaps you can give us your thoughts on where to stay, eat, and shop for provisions. Keep in mind we won't have a car. We fly in from California to Birmingham via a crazy route to Texas, Chicago and Scotland! Therefore, we will be exhausted by the time we take the train to Rugby.

Perhaps you can give me some idea how far it is between the train station, local hotels and pubs, and then the marina where Rose Narrowboats is. Where would be a good stopping place for the night?

I noticed on the Rose website that there is a Tesco along the canal if we head south. So, what do we do if we head north? Is there someplace to by groceries within walking distance of the marina?

Sorry about all the questions. Can you tell I'm pretty excited about this trip? :lol:

Thanks again, Allie

Tony,

I really do appreciate your suggestions. If you don't mind, I do have (a million) more questions. At the moment we are leaning toward the Leicester ring. I'm so glad that you mentioned that you prefer clockwise -- that was a question I had in my mind earlier today!

We will be arriving a day ahead (Friday Sept. 29) so we can rest up and shop. Perhaps you can give us your thoughts on where to stay, eat, and shop for provisions. Keep in mind we won't have a car. We fly in from California to Birmingham via a crazy route to Texas, Chicago and Scotland! Therefore, we will be exhausted by the time we take the train to Rugby.

Perhaps you can give me some idea how far it is between the train station, local hotels and pubs, and then the marina where Rose Narrowboats is. Where would be a good stopping place for the night?

I noticed on the Rose website that there is a Tesco along the canal if we head south. So, what do we do if we head north? Is there someplace to by groceries within walking distance of the marina?

Sorry about all the questions. Can you tell I'm pretty excited about this trip? :lol:

Thanks again, Allie

Allie,

I'll be delighted to help but right now I have to get ready to go to work. Several hotels in Rugby including one alonside the canal near Tesco so you may decide to provision up before going to the boat. The boatyard is about 10 miles from Rugby station. I will be in touch later.

Regards

Tony. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Whichever way you go from Rugby on the North Oxford have a look at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ and follow the "old" route of the canal (together with present aerial photographs) before it was straightened. Once on the holiday you will soon see why it wandered so much before embankments and cuttings reduced the length. If you go south the canal used to go into the centre of Braunston prior to turning right to rejoin the existing line the other side of the puddle banks. I can see no further "straightening" of the canal past the cutting after the puddle banks but I stand to be corrected.

If you go through Newbold-on-Avon do stop and find the old tunnel entrance next to the church. I still cant work out where the other portal was, I assume close to the two pubs bankside but again stand to be corrected.

Have a look at http://www.narrowboatworld.com/ with regards to supermarkets.

Enjoy!

Edited by rog guiver

Whichever way you go from Rugby on the North Oxford have a look at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ and follow the "old" route of the canal (together with present aerial photographs) before it was straightened. Once on the holiday you will soon see why it wandered so much before embankments and cuttings reduced the length. If you go south the canal used to go into the centre of Braunston prior to turning right to rejoin the existing line the other side of the puddle banks. I can see no further "straightening" of the canal past the cutting after the puddle banks but I stand to be corrected.

If you go through Newbold-on-Avon do stop and find the old tunnel entrance next to the church. I still cant work out where the other portal was, I assume close to the two pubs bankside but again stand to be corrected.

Have a look at http://www.narrowboatworld.com/ with regards to supermarkets.

Enjoy!

The Oxford Canal traversed a tunnel at Wolfhampcote tunnel between Braunston and the Puddle banks. The disused tunnel could be seen until the early 1970's.

Newbold Tunnel - the other end is buried under the lane leading from the Barley Mow.