lister engine

mr toad

Featured Posts

Hi,

Check out ebay for the manual, I've managed to pick up the ones I need on there.

On the cold starting, you could do worse than having the injectors serviced. Try to avoid using easy-start type products, unless you're stuck.

I've just done a quick scan of ebay, which returned nothing!

I beleive Alastair used to have an ST2 in his old boat. Maybe he could tell you where to find one? Worth a PM I reckon :P

Edited by Liam

Thanks for replies. I would not even consider using easystart - ive seen an engine knackered by this stuff. Had the engine serviced but still was difficult to start initially but once it is warm it is great and sounds beautiful! Whats the average price for an engine service? I have paid £173.

but I only pay £95 to £100 for my yacht engines to be serviced (admitedly they are smaller engines).

Thanks for replies. I would not even consider using easystart - ive seen an engine knackered by this stuff. Had the engine serviced but still was difficult to start initially but once it is warm it is great and sounds beautiful! Whats the average price for an engine service? I have paid £173.

but I only pay £95 to £100 for my yacht engines to be serviced (admitedly they are smaller engines).

Hi Toad.

If I were you I would learn how to do it myself. Listers are very basic engines they require little more than regular oil changing and changing of filters. As they have no devices for cold starting they can be reluctant to start even in ideal conditions, just make sure you have a good battery.

I am looking for a manual for a lister st2 with perhaps general maintenance topics. Also this engine takes a lot of starting at times but once its going it is ok and can be stopped and restarted any remedies?

I don't know about the ST series, but I had its predecessor the SR for 4 years; it had a small lever somewhere that if you pushed it the other way to normal, acted like a choke and squirted extra fuel for starting in very cold weather. It worked well. But after 15 years I can't even remember where on the engine it was - anyone else out there got one or a good memory?

I didn't know that Lister's had that cold start provision. I have a BMW with a similar system but it works automatically every time the engine is started regardless of how long it has been stopped or how warm it is.

I must say it works incredibly well, it starts first revolution winter or summer, blows out a fair quantity of black smoke for a few seconds so certainly wouldn't get approval for road use but it was never designed for that.

I didn't know that Lister's had that cold start provision. I have a BMW with a similar system but it works automatically every time the engine is started regardless of how long it has been stopped or how warm it is.

I must say it works incredibly well, it starts first revolution winter or summer, blows out a fair quantity of black smoke for a few seconds so certainly wouldn't get approval for road use but it was never designed for that.

Hi some old CAV pumps had a button on the side to press in for cold starting often used on ford tractors

David

In the past on a reluctant Lister, I'd use the decompression levers to get the engine spinning over on the starter then drop them in one by one. It seemed to work OK. I seem to remember there being a priming pump, but I thought that was from the fuel lift pump to the injection pump. I don't recall there being a device on the injection pump itself.

No wanting to deviate off-topic too much but are you a cyclist? I noticed the pic of the bike. I'm a pretty serious roadbike cyclist myself and basically use my bike to get myself into the deep country where my boat is moored. Sometimes I'll do a long ride and then stop off to work on the boat.

In the past on a reluctant Lister, I'd use the decompression levers to get the engine spinning over on the starter then drop them in one by one. It seemed to work OK. I seem to remember there being a priming pump, but I thought that was from the fuel lift pump to the injection pump. I don't recall there being a device on the injection pump itself.

On the Lister SRs and STs there is a cold start which lets the fuel rack on the pumps move further giving extra fuel and therefore helps starting especially in cold weather, the mechanism is part of the stop lever if you pull the stop lever on the side of the engine out it will move past the lug and give excess fuel when you operate the stop to stop the engine it will return to its normal position, if the stop cable is too tight you will have to disconect it to let the stop lever move.

The other things that could cause bad starting are air leaks into the fuel system, low compression, blocked fuel filters, to name a few.

Hope this helps Cheers Glyn