Make cyclists buy insurance cover

Josher

Featured Posts

It's the policing that would let down any scheme of cycle third party insurance.

Not that difficult, providing the balance between fair compensation for injury outweighs increased control by government.

I think that there are countries that have a registration scheme for bicycles.

Registered number

Insurance certificate displayed

Compensation scheme for uninsured accidents (same as existing MIB scheme for motor vehicles)

Power of seizure for uninsured bikes (as already in place for motor vehicles)

Power of seizure and crushing for unsocial activities (as existing Section 59 powers)

• 5 months later...

the reason cyclist get away with riding on pavements, jump traffic lights and generally don't give a shit about rules of the road is.....they don't get nicked by the police,,the sooner the police realise that it would only take about a week of standing in a shop doorway out of sight of the cyclist and have a colleague just up the road to stop and nick the bastard and issue a £60 fine when they jump the lights, they will soon come into line.......but then again

PS I ride a bicycle and a motorcycle and want to stay alive so I don't jump lights

Come to Oxford. The police here have regular trips out (though not enough) to stop cyclists jumping the lights etc however every year there is a new intake of twats to take up the mantle of 'twat cyclist of the week'. What drivers do not understand is that red lights are 'merely a guide' to cyclists.

Our oriental students are the most obviously stupid, insisting on holding an umbrella whilst cycling in the rain!

it would be nice if pedestrians had insurance.

What drivers do not understand is that red lights are 'merely a guide' to cyclists.

In Liverpool red lights are only advisory to drivers too. I havent worked out if I am allowed to go through them as I pay council tax here or if you have to be born here to do it.

What about horses ? they are big and having dealt with a couple of road accidents involving them years ago you would not beleive the damage they can cause but they need no insurance either. Lots of people who use our roads and footpaths do stupid things, last week on a narrow country road I passed ( slowly ) some idiot running, he was not only facing the wrong way but also had earphones in no doubt listening to music,a total pillock and not on his own as we have all seen people doing it. Many of the cyclists in Oxford are also stupid and I would never get on a pedal cycle as I have no death wish but it is not possible to bring legislation on them as to insurance as it could not be policed effectively.

Since when has the ability to police a law effectivly had any effect on the introduction of a law.

I agree.

I would much rather be hit, by by a cyclist, whilst walking on the footway than hit a cyclist, on the road, whilst driving my car.

Really! Cyclists here kill pedestrians.

How many a day?

Dont be so smug. One is all it takes to destroy a family. There are many.

See here

I killed 4 yesterday but havent been out yet today.

I'm saddened you find it amusing that pedestrians get killed by cyclists. The bereaved families usually dont.

Edited by Maffi

Dont be so smug.

I wasn't being smug at all. no more than your post, at least.

When the number of cyclists killing pedestrians comes anywhere near the number of car drivers killing cyclists then I will take anti-cycling hysteria a bit more seriously.

You doing some grave digging Maffi? Those posts are from October last year

Richard

Dont do dates! I didn't think cyclists killing pedestrians had been covered. I thought it was important, obviously not!

I wasn't being smug at all. no more than your post, at least.

When the number of cyclists killing pedestrians comes anywhere near the number of car drivers killing cyclists then I will take anti-cycling hysteria a bit more seriously.

One is too many.