Battery Cables

matty40s

Featured Posts

I need two positive (18" and 14") and one negative(18")battery cables.I need an extra pos one because the other one is at the botom of the River Lea!!

The existing cables are 40mm2 and have 10mm copper ring terminals.

Where is best to get these made up (East London) as I don't want to buy a crimping tool just for this small job??

Oh, go on!

Do tell!

You know you want to. :lol:

Well seeing as you ask :lol:

You know that theory that applies to toast and buttered side up/down.......

I've finally given up with the candle regime, I got a £700 tax rebate cheque (hooray)from HMRC in one letter which was accompanied by another HMRC letter dated the same day saying I owed them £500 from a previous year(boo).So I had enough for Vince's battery shop.

Discovered that Vince's battery shop had another delivery and shot up there to pick them up on Wednesday.

Problem is, my battery bank cables are only fitted with 8mm connectors, and Freedom Batts come with a 10mm lug.

Took the first set of cables off to drill them out, on workbench on the bank. Drilling the black one, with the red one waiting,....it vibrates off, bouncing off the toolbox, onto the steel piling, hangs, and then drops in. :angry:

The water is crystal clear, and I have had pole, hook and fishing net along the bottom, but with no joy. I can see red bull cans, next bags and newly fallen leaves on the bottom, but no bright red cable. :(

Good news is, I've now got 4 connected, and have some use-able power,once the cables are sorted, I will have a 7 bank system to destroy.

Are you sure its 40mm?

a very unusual size, sizes are normally 10,16,25,35,50,70,95,120

I have never seen 40, what does it say on the lugs should say something like m10/35.

The water is crystal clear, and I have had pole, hook and fishing net along the bottom, but with no joy. I can see red bull cans, next bags and newly fallen leaves on the bottom, but no bright red cable. :(

Ah,

I had a similar experience with a set of keys that related to a whole load of fairly expensive bike locks that we have. :blush:

Despite magnetic parts on one of the keys, the depths of Little Venice refused to give them back to us.

Hi Matty.

I can do these for you and am based up on the Stort.

Send me an e-mail if you need it done.

I need two positive (18" and 14") and one negative(18")battery cables.I need an extra pos one because the other one is at the botom of the River Lea!!

Where is best to get these made up (East London) as I don't want to buy a crimping tool just for this small job??

Are you sure its 40mm?

a very unusual size, sizes are normally 10,16,25,35,50,70,95,120

I have never seen 40, what does it say on the lugs should say something like m10/35.

40 sqmm is a common size for starter cables.

Here for instance:-

http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-982-00-10m-durite-40mm2-electric-starter-cable-black-300a-7859-p.asp

Tim

40 sqmm is a common size for starter cables.

Interesting, never seen that size. However 40mm, despite what it says in the link, is NOT rated for 300amp, maybe for a few seconds to start an engine, but its about half the size it needs to be for 300amp in the real world.

Interesting, never seen that size. However 40mm, despite what it says in the link, is NOT rated for 300amp, maybe for a few seconds to start an engine, but its about half the size it needs to be for 300amp in the real world.

300A seems to be the standard 'automotive' rating quoted for it, not just from one manufacturer.

Tim

300A seems to be the standard 'automotive' rating quoted for it, not just from one manufacturer.

Indeed but they are quoting "automotive" ratings, in the same way that amplifier manufacturers quote PMPO rather then RMS cos its bigger numbers.

It will take 300amps for as long as it takes to start an engine, try using it to supply an anything that draws 300amps for longer than a minute or so and it will melt.

Its real rating clipped to a cable tray is about 160-170amps, you need to get up to 95mm if you really want to draw 300 amps for more than a few seconds.