Burgled

Mrhigherbeing

Featured Posts

The trick is to leave nothing of value on show. Close the curtains on the towpath side if you have large windows, there is then nothing to see. IMO big locks on the outside of doors do scream that there is no one at home, that said it would be nice if our boat had more than the tiny lock it is fitted with.

We have been very lucky, we have little option but to leave £1k's of nav gear on the dash in full view of the public. The beer fridge in the cockpit does have a lock on it though so at least the beer will be safe even if the nav gear has gone straight to the nearest boat jumble :blink:

• Greenie 1

Wow, seems the 'scrots' that burgled us cause a stir on cw.net! Well I am of the mind big locks work, I have already bolstered the side hatch with brass dead bolts, like the look of the Brighton fasteners, but am also going to fit some internal bolt locks, the kind you put inside the door and use one of those hexagon shaped keys. This means the bolt will go through the steal if the hatch and has the benefit of not looking ugly. I am going to get a remote alarm connected to magnetic triggers attached to all doors and hatches. I live aboard and do not intend living a monastic life with no possessions, so my thoughts are big locks, alarm system, always try and moor near other boats and try to hide any existence if 40" tvs and laptops!!! Safe cruising all

am also going to fit some internal bolt locks, the kind you put inside the door and use one of those hexagon shaped keys

Do you mean the ones with a star key, I was told not to lock internal doors after being burgled as the poor chap doing the robbery probably has had a rough time growing up, would easily be able to kick them in doing more damage than anything they took was worth. Obviously PC thought I was someone who had nothing worth nicking anyway.

However, those that fit inside the actual door fitted on your external door - plus your normal lock might just fool them long enough to give up as maybe not seeing it if dark. Or is this a rubbish idea along with setting a bear trap when I leave. That last one is my fantasy. Off to read the Mail.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a considerate burgular in the summer on the llangollen. Snipped off the rear padlock, helped himself (or herself) to a few tools, using them to remove the tv and bracket... and worse still my summers supply of beer and wine whiskey and brandy etc even the ones under the seating and not on display which was not sporting. The only thing that made him considerate was the lack of damage to the boat and closing the hatch behind him.

As people have said, if you make the boat harder to break in the damage would be greater. I have toyed with the idea of filling the boat with CO gas when it is left, thus burglar proofing; but that would mean I would get done for murder even though it prevents repeat crime. I would be more tempted to leave a doctored bottle of booze on board, who would know who poisoned the 'uninvited victim'!

This country is far too lenient on theft!!!

• Greenie 1

I had a considerate burgular in the summer on the llangollen. Snipped off the rear padlock, helped himself (or herself) to a few tools, using them to remove the tv and bracket... and worse still my summers supply of beer and wine whiskey and brandy etc even the ones under the seating and not on display which was not sporting. The only thing that made him considerate was the lack of damage to the boat and closing the hatch behind him.

As people have said, if you make the boat harder to break in the damage would be greater. I have toyed with the idea of filling the boat with CO gas when it is left, thus burglar proofing; but that would mean I would get done for murder even though it prevents repeat crime. I would be more tempted to leave a doctored bottle of booze on board, who would know who poisoned the 'uninvited victim'!

This country is far too lenient on theft!!!

I like that idea, or at the very least a very powerful laxative, or some other intestinal virus like colorah.

Biggles

:angry:

Got burgled, £6k worth of things, on Grand Union at Brentford.

Boooo

So now ready to beef up security and hoping for some suggestions for what system are out there. I cant use motion detectors as missus has a cat, which by the way did sweet FA in combating the intruders after plenty of talks and Rocky style keep fit sessions to prep him.

Ah, that's why I hate cats. And no I don't want a dog thanks.

Might be interested in a GSM type alarm.

Cheers

ian

Just passed through Brentford -- and have remained unscathed! Sorry to hear about your break in.

Have a look at these Asec garage bolts. You can use them in various ways on side hatches, doors and sliding stern hatches. Horizontal, vertical, upside down. They have quite a long hardened steel sliding bolt (70mm) which, if you can rig it to go into or behind steel sheet or bulkhead would be pretty tough to budge even with a crowbar. You can get a pair in a pack from any decent security shop (or online) for about £30. They are mounted with two killer bolts with rounded heads and can be installed so that they can be opened from outside (through a nice, shiny, escucheon with swing cover) as well as inside, or you can install them to open only from the inside (such as for side hatches). The steel 'case' is matt black, so don't look too naff, and we've been thinking of painting tiny trad roses on them to make them blend in. The keys are star type and fairly big.

Quick update on this, the guy is now in jail, he got done by his foot prints which is awesome (and tryiong to flog my phone to cashconverters next day).

I love the idea of the CO2, but cant be hassled with the disposal of the body! I also like the idea of the spiked whiskey, though feel at some point that will bite me or a friend in the ass!

I have fitted the boat with a simple to install wireless alarm system from Yale http://www.wireless-alarm-kit.co.uk/ its really good actually and would at least annoy neighors enough for someone to look into what the racket is all about.

If I have learnt anything, it is secure th boat as bets as possible, but if they wnat to get in they will. Make sure you have contents insurance and register everything of value. And moor next to other boats.

Stay safe, and just remember things are just things and not worth getting upset about (oh and backup picture files outside of anything on your boat).

I love the idea of the CO2, but cant be hassled with the disposal of the body! I also like the idea of the spiked whiskey, though feel at some point that will bite me or a friend in the ass!

You can get a smoke generator thing, it just fills the boat up with white smoke so you can't see owlt.