vassal tug

wharfinger

Featured Posts

edited because the link below is more intriguing.

Shame, I'd guessed what he was on about but your first answer was more fun ;)

Tim

Edit to add

"VASSAL

Built 1938 by James Pollock Sons & Co Ltd., Faversham. YN 1684. L38.2'. B10.5'. D4'. 13grt. 60bhp 2cyl Widdop diesel engine. ON165519.

1938 Delivered to Vokins & Co Ltd., London. 1975 Sold to Thames & General Lighterage Ltd., London. 1980 Acquired by Cory Lighterage Ltd., London. [Not operated] 198? Sold to Darling Brothers Ltd., London. 1982 Sold to General Marine Services, London, renamed Vassel. No further trace."

from

http://www.lighteragetugs.co.uk/

Edited by Timleech

Shame, I'd guessed what he was on about but your first answer was more fun ;)

It seemed a bit insensitive when someone is trying to pursue a serious boaty matter. Mind you, his postcode is in his details if you think my theory was right - and more fun :).

A lovely looking boat in its original incarnation.

I imagine that's exactly what the helmsman would think when it's pissing down in a brisk January northeaster.

and yet, so many are content to trundle down the cut, for pleasure, in all weathers, without the aesthetically challenged benefit of a pram hood.

The debate wages on, in my house, about whether the lifeboat should lose the wheelhouse.

and yet, so many are content to trundle down the cut, for pleasure, in all weathers, without the aesthetically challenged benefit of a pram hood.

The debate wages on, in my house, about whether the lifeboat should lose the wheelhouse.

For once, I'm not sure, If you are serious, or being sarcastic...

I can not see you taking the saw to your lifeboat...

:mellow:

Narrow Boats, with a proper back cabin and stove, do give enough protection to make boating tolerable in most weathers at least in their native sheltered waters.

My little tug (slightly smaller than the Vassal, but from the same yard) had no steerer protection according to the original plans, but a folding windscreen (a bit like a 1930s sports car) appears on early pictures. Having gone down the Ship Canal this Easter, in a very cold (literal) gale with spray breaking over the top of the wheelbox I wouldn't consider going back to those days, even if it did look 'better'.

kennet.jpg

In fact I aim to add some sort of heating in due course ;)

The challenge is to redesign the wheelbox so that it can be collapsed in some way but not get in the way while collapsed, at the same time giving a bit more headroom for the steerer as the present fixed structure was designed to clear the fixed bridges on the Trent Navigation in Nottingham.

(Hopefully Speedwheel doesn't mind me using his pic)

Actonbridge-K1.jpg

Tim