Disused arms

Djuwenda

Featured Posts

When reading on the wooden boat Umbriel's likely demise, I went looking at google maps to see how easy it would be to get a crane out to the site and was surprised to find two remnants of canal arms still very visible.

The firs one is on coordinates 52.283848,-1.236976 (just copy and paste these into google maps)

the second one is a lot more complex, and very intriguing.

Starts here: 52.285743,-1.232336

If you follow its line, it actually seems to run on the otherside of the existing canal from here:

52.284779,-1.230839

all the way to here:

52.281602,-1.230211

and resuming here

52.279731,-1.235833

to here:

52.277723,-1.247388

It looks like the last section has a bridge going over it, so I am thinking there has been water there for some time.

also,as a side note: when using google view on Wolfhampcote, you can see the outline of buisldings and paths, its quite fascinating.

52.277723,-1.247388

52.279731,-1.235833

52.281602,-1.230211

52.284779,-1.230839

52.285743,-1.232336

Edited by Djuwenda

There are many bits of the Oxford like this, especially the North Oxford, which was straightened to try to compete with the Grand Junction. Passing through Rugby there are a few arms, one which trundled off to Clifton, another near the Newbold tunnel, one where the Brinklow marina now lies, and many more.

The puddlebanks embankment let the canal cut out the contour hugging Wolfhampcote section. The Braunston marina entrance to the dry dock was the old route.

I think the North Oxford was shortened by something like 14 miles so there's miles of the old route out there. The Brownsover Arm was navigable for a considerable distance till BW stanked it off around 10 years ago, to keep the duckweed from spilling onto the main line of the canal, apparently.

I think the North Oxford was shortened by something like 14 miles so there's miles of the old route out there. The Brownsover Arm was navigable for a considerable distance till BW stanked it off around 10 years ago, to keep the duckweed from spilling onto the main line of the canal, apparently.

Is it still a single floating stop plank, though?

I went down the arm, about 10 years ago, in a dinghy and just pushed the plank under water and floated over the top of it.

what about the arm that used to branch right at the bottom of Hillmorton locks, is that also just part of the old canal?

Would make sense as it lines up pretty well with the lock.

Also I was always under the impression the brownsover arm had some sort of function (rather than being the original canal) am I mistaken?

what about the arm that used to branch right at the bottom of Hillmorton locks, is that also just part of the old canal?

Would make sense as it lines up pretty well with the lock.

Also I was always under the impression the brownsover arm had some sort of function (rather than being the original canal) am I mistaken?

If you are talking about a linear tree filled section in line with the bottom lock, if you look at Google you can see how a sharp left hand corner brought it back to where the canal is now. Why they bothered with these really short bits I'm not sure, some bits saving less than a hundred feet, but all added together would all add up.

Here's a photo showing the original line:

Oxford_Hillmorton.jpg

What about the arm where the hire base is now. I presume originally it was a boat maintance yard, but why the large arm? Seems a little overkill.

I have a map of all the old bits, if I ever get any time I'll put it on a Google Map overlay so that you can see where it went more clearly.

Mike

Is it still a single floating stop plank, though?

I went down the arm, about 10 years ago, in a dinghy and just pushed the plank under water and floated over the top of it.

It doesn't look very substatial what ever it is now, I'm a little surprised it's not be made into moorings already!

Did you get very far? Full of weed during the summer, but it may die back abit over winter.

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

Nice one Mykaskin, it makes sense now.

As far as I know the Hire base was always a boat yard, quite a substantial one at that.

I am told it was a BW facility, it used to have a further outside narrow dry dock. This has now been filled.

The cafe, now Canal chef, used to be the BW office where boatmen would go and sort their business, pay for repairs etc. There is still a blacksmith shop on site presumably to deal with horseshoes and some satbles as you enter Brindley road, I have always thought these were another feature dating back to the horse-drawn days?

I cant verify much of this of course and look forward to somebody with more knowledge coming along!