So how much would it cost to be a real 'river gipsy'.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

Through having my boat, I had a phone call from someone a few days ago, inquiring about the costs, and how to go about living on a boat.

Given the high price of houses at the present time, what would be the average costs over say a 5 year period.

Just for an example, say you buy a second hand NB around £30,000. Anything over 40ft is large enough to live on. You have had a survey, and there are no major structural, or engine faults.

So you've sold your house, bought for x£s and now are in profit after paying off the mortgage. You have say £10,000 to spare after buying the boat. You are in work, at the lower end of the average scale i.e. £12 to £15thousand.

Not counting the cost of living, what would you expect to pay in maintenance, mooring, licence etc, per annum for a 5 year period. Yes I know this question is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string' but barring accident, engine blow ups and the like, what do you think would be the average cost.

Through having my boat, I had a phone call from someone a few days ago, inquiring about the costs, and how to go about living on a boat.

Given the high price of houses at the present time, what would be the average costs over say a 5 year period.

Just for an example, say you buy a second hand NB around £30,000. Anything over 40ft is large enough to live on. You have had a survey, and there are no major structural, or engine faults.

So you've sold your house, bought for x£s and now are in profit after paying off the mortgage. You have say £10,000 to spare after buying the boat. You are in work, at the lower end of the average scale i.e. £12 to £15thousand.

Not counting the cost of living, what would you expect to pay in maintenance, mooring, licence etc, per annum for a 5 year period. Yes I know this question is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string' but barring accident, engine blow ups and the like, what do you think would be the average cost.

I reckon I spend £2000 per year on maintenance (last year was a bad one at £10k but this figure comes from realistic averaging over several years). Plus £800 on licence and insurance. Then add variable figures for diesel gas coal electricity telephone and pumpouts etc as appropriate, and somewhere between zero and £5000 for mooring.

Ah haaa, do I detect a little bit of, "maybe you`ll take the plunge, and do it, and hope for the best " here??