Break in

cloggy

Featured Posts

While out visiting friends yesterday (9am till about 2pm) some B*st**d broke into our boat moored above Waltham Town lock on the river Lee. The weird thing is nothing was taken.They must have stood on my new jigsaw

(still in box), gone straight past change pot by side of bed (foot print on bed) and thank god left my bottle of brandy (on the table) Took hours to get one of our cats back on the boat. Just hope this is a one off as no other boats where attacked.

When we were burgled (wife and mother-in-law in the house at the time!) they took about 8 bottles of wine from my wine rack, an electric drill, a packet on turkey ham from the fridge, and a bottle of orange squash. I have to say if they had to nick Bernard Matthews processed turkey products I say good luck to them and if I could find them I would buy them a square meal.

In my experience, this could be a 'reccy' visit - to see what they need to come back for. Sorry to be worst case scenario, but whenever I've had odd burglaries, then I've had a secondary burglary. In a house, they often take a key - just to make it easier next time. Otherwise, if this is a one-off - you are very lucky relatively speaking.

I have to say if they had to nick Bernard Matthews processed turkey products I say good luck to them and if I could find them I would buy them a square meal.

I have to say that if you chose to purchase Bernard Matthews processed turkey products that probably ranks you as less discerning than your burglars!

(Sorry I couldn't resist)

I've repeated this story on the forum before, but I once met a bloke about 12 years ago (CCer near Hemel), who returned to his boat after a few days visiting family, to find his engine, gearbox and stove missing. I saw the gutted boat for myself and it made me very security conscious.

Sorry to hear of your experience, must be very unsettling to have your space invaded.

Little true story to cheer you up.

One of my old (single) rock climbing pals led a very spartan life. His house was usually full of climbing gear and tents drying out, and very little else.

He went away climbing one weekend and came back to find he'd had a break-in, but nothing was missing. He was quite indignant that the burglars thought he had nothing worth taking.

He went away climbing the next weekend and came back to find he'd had another break in. Again, nothing was missing - but a tin of beans had been left on the kitchen table.

Cheers

Graham

Being burgled is a rather horrible thing, I remember when we were burgled in 2002, made the house feel uncomfortable and insecure, didn't want to leave anything lightly locked (as in with regular door locks) after that, and even now I'm pretty cautious about ensuring doors are locked and the windows firmly shut... :blink:

It's odd they didn't take anything, but then if it was in daylight hours, it'd probably have been very noticeable to someone nearby. Might want to change the locks and ensure everything is secure and locked up, and don't forget to report it to the rozzers, they *may* have had other similar cases and could do with the additional information... :)

And I don't know why, but I have "check your diesel tank" buzzing about in my head, if nothing's gone from inside the boat, they could have had a go at the fuel tank... :huh:

One of my old (single) rock climbing pals led a very spartan life.

I too, have only ever climbed a single rock.... got halfway up, discovered my fear of heights and stuck to caves, after that.

Nothing taken??

Change your toothbrushes :rolleyes:

and check your camera, for photos you haven't taken.

This happened to my ex, and her mate, in Greece.

Unfortunately the camera was the only thing, of value, not taken.

Edited by carlt

Many burglaries result in nothing taken or so it appears.

Have you ID onboard, bank cards, anything they could use?

Make sure the brandy hasn't been doctored :unsure: you may have to try it a few times, then you'll at least feel better :cheers:

Sorry to hear of your experience, must be very unsettling to have your space invaded.

Little true story to cheer you up.

One of my old (single) rock climbing pals led a very spartan life. His house was usually full of climbing gear and tents drying out, and very little else.

He went away climbing one weekend and came back to find he'd had a break-in, but nothing was missing. He was quite indignant that the burglars thought he had nothing worth taking.

He went away climbing the next weekend and came back to find he'd had another break in. Again, nothing was missing - but a tin of beans had been left on the kitchen table.

Cheers

Graham

if it was in the 80's and anywhere in the lake district it could have been me that left the beans :rolleyes:

In my experience, this could be a 'reccy' visit - to see what they need to come back for. Sorry to be worst case scenario, but whenever I've had odd burglaries, then I've had a secondary burglary. In a house, they often take a key - just to make it easier next time. Otherwise, if this is a one-off - you are very lucky relatively speaking.

Moved the boat in case they came back. would have been very messy.

It's a funny thing burglary... Some folk see an invasion of space whereas some see a straightforward theft.

We got broken into a couple of years back; nowt taken but I expect they were disturbed as we moor in a busy place, both the Fair Maid and I took it in our stride.

A good few years back, while I was skiving off sixth form I got woken up by a burglar, I thought "at least i was here, he dropped the pillow cover full of stuff" whereas my mum felt invaded. Maybe it's a head thing...

Then again I got the "to see the handsome priest again" question right a while back so maybe someone should remove my chainsaw before it all gets nasty... :)