Kelvin Ricardo F2

tom_c

Featured Posts

Seriously, it looks as if you have completed a very nice restoration job. Presumably that video shows the engine running on paraffin/kerosene, is it more economical than an equivalent diesel engine?

I said presumably because I would have have thought it risky to install the petrol version in a boat these days . . .

the engine was running on petrol in this video but we are developing a glow plug starting system to enable cold starting on kerosene

Do you have the Kelvin 'Vaporiser'? I haven't seen a F series engine close up but the bigger 'G' series were fitted with vaporisers and always ran on kerosine . . .

hi we have quite a few vaporisers, the engine cannot run without it as it also acts as a manifold, however until the vaporiser has heated up we hope to use an electric glow plug to vaporise the fuel. we will see what fuel consumption is like once it goes into the boat. we also have 2 more F4 engines and another F2 and a poppet valve, also some of those common kelvin diesels a J3 and a K2, the J3 is for sale if anyone is interested, i also have some original kelvin propellers to suit some of the engines.

I said presumably because I would have have thought it risky to install the petrol version in a boat these days . . .

Why would it be risky "these days" , if as you imply, it wasn't in olden days? Is today's petrol somehow more volatile? If the installation of tanks and fuel lines, carburetor drip trays etc is done properly petrol is ok though re-fuelling a boat where there is no canalside pump could be fraught.

The fuel consumption of these F model Kelvins is not good but there are several advantages to using them which I could list if anyone's interested.( As an F2/4 user these last 38 years.) We have a J2 diesel that was got years ago to replace the F4 for fuel economy reasons, but it so far hasn't made it into the (wooden) boat. The F4 is just too nice.

Tom's idea of an electric pre-heater for starting direct on Kerosene sounds promising, I should like to see the details of that.

Bill

Do you have the Kelvin 'Vaporiser'? I haven't seen a F series engine close up but the bigger 'G' series were fitted with vaporisers and always ran on kerosine . . .

The differences between model F petrol and petrol/paraffin are as follows:

Compression ratio: pet= 4.5:1 par: 3.6:1 (cylinder heads are different)

Exhaust manifold : petrol looks like an ordinary automotive exhaust manifold. Paraffin: the inlet and exhaust manifold is combined into one to vapourize the fuel at the inlet due to the heat of the exhaust. The engine will take paraffin about 2 mins after a cold start so doesn't need much petrol.

Cooling system: paraffin: there is a manual regulator to cut down the water flow to the cylinders to help keep the engine hot when slow running.Not fitted to petrol engines

Fuel system: there is a fuel change over cock on each carburetor. I think the 60HP G4 had 4 carbs- how economical is that?

The F4 will run very well on two cylinders , just shut the fuel off to one of the two carbs if we are pottering about in locks or shallow canals, (ie: most of the time round here!).

Bill

Why would it be risky "these days" , if as you imply, it wasn't in olden days? Is today's petrol somehow more volatile? If the installation of tanks and fuel lines, carburetor drip trays etc is done properly petrol is ok though re-fuelling a boat where there is no canalside pump could be fraught.

The fuel consumption of these F model Kelvins is not good but there are several advantages to using them which I could list if anyone's interested.( As an F2/4 user these last 38 years.) We have a J2 diesel that was got years ago to replace the F4 for fuel economy reasons, but it so far hasn't made it into the (wooden) boat. The F4 is just too nice.

Tom's idea of an electric pre-heater for starting direct on Kerosene sounds promising, I should like to see the details of that.

Bill

My 'these days' was intended as a reference to our current culture of 'Health & Safety' and 'Risk Assessment' - the latter usually being carried out by those with no practical experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...