Lump of metal broke off my Squirrel

NBDensie

Featured Posts

The solid metal vertical bars in the front corners down which the front grill slides (if you see what I mean) are both cracked. Recently one has broken in half.

Any ideas why? Does it matter? There is still sufficient to hold the front grill.

Thanks

Mike

The solid metal vertical bars in the front corners down which the front grill slides (if you see what I mean) are both cracked. Recently one has broken in half.

Any ideas why? Does it matter? There is still sufficient to hold the front grill.

Thanks

Mike

This is fairly common- usually they go at the bolt slot. It is caused by them getting hot and cold. The remaining bits will fall off shortly. Either: Take the bits to a decent welder and get him to glue them back together ( they are cast iron but small enough to be weldable with the right rods or they can be brazed) Or: buy some replacements. They are available on line from places like stove spares.

Until you have fixed them keep the fire well back as otherwise it is likely to partly fall out when you open the doors, along with the front grill.

N

Midland Swindlers also sell these parts.

When I did Copperkins' one, the bits came out easily, and I was able to tap the new ones into place with WD40 and gentle taps with the mooring hammer.

Iain

Edited by Iain_S

My squirrel cracked along 3 sides of the top where the sides mortice in. I bought a new top and went to fit it, suffice to say that one new top one new back one repaired front 6M of fire rope later I have a pretty well new condition fire. Oh yea, and those two firebar bits and a door seal kit too. It's cost me about £200 in bits and materials which compares well with a new stove. There is now buggerall I don't know about working on squirrels. Someplace I did post the web address of the place I got the bits and they were much much cheaper than any chandlery, Uxbridge boat centre said they couldn't buy them at that price which I know is code for "there is no way anyone has quoted the prices you claim no I will not match it go away".

As has been mentioned...I too used fire cement and it seems to have lasted well...although I am aware of the problem and I'm now more careful with the front 'bars' ..I buy my fire cement from Wlkinsons...as its only £2.50 a tub.I also bought fire bricks from there...£2.50 each and reduced the width of the fire inside....which worked for me an saved the official Morso insert that they sell at huge price.