Taff seat top replacements...

Featured Posts

Right - lets get the disclaimer out of the way first -

I do know the risks associated with 'Taff' seats and rails.

Jan and I have done a fully documented risk assessment and on balance the Risk management and Health & Safety committee have agreed that the tops on ours can be replaced,

So to the question - does anybody know of or can recommend some body that could make us 2 taff rail/seat tops in hardwood.

We can supply the current ones as patterns. Boat moored in Derby area.

thanks in advance....

Unless you are going to only use them for when you're moored up

Correct

but surely the bow area is better for that?

A matter of personal choice surely where one sits (particularly when the boat in question has a cratch and cover)

I thought your new boat was a semi-trad ?

In which case isn't a major argument used in their favour that you have a communal / seating area within the "walled" bit ?

Or is the pram hood making that somewhere you can't sit out either ? :lol:

I thought your new boat was a semi-trad ?

In which case isn't a major argument used in their favour that you have a communal / seating area within the "walled" bit ?

Or is the pram hood making that somewhere you can't sit out either ? :lol:

Indeed it it is a semi-trad and yes we sit in the 'walled bit' and when it's peeing down the pram hood keeps us dry while we are doing it.. :P

But we also have the option of perching on the taff seats if we want... particularly useful if there is more than just Jan and I aboard.

um, am I missing something here? What's wrong with sitting behind the tiller?

If this is another "cassette vs pumpout" type minefield then please say so and I'll shut up :)

It is a debate yes - and of course it's probably going to swamp my OP so I'll look elsewhere for that info. (so much for the disclaimer I posted)

Standing or sitting within the arc of the tiller is percieved to be risky because if the rudder strikes something there is a risk that the tiller will sweep you off the counter. Definetly a risk when reversing - and it has happened.

debatable IMHO when moving forwards.

Taff seats and rails are percieved a risk because of the risk of falling off/over them, there have been accidents (including the one at Cropedy this summer) involving falls over rear rails.

Getting back to the OP... are you looking for the "bum moulded" type or just something that you could sit comfortably on for short periods of time?

I helped a friend replace theirs, but it was a smaller version of the type you usually see. It was basically just a block of hardwood screwed on top of the steel plate. Do you have a pic of your current ones?

Getting back to the OP... are you looking for the "bum moulded" type or just something that you could sit comfortably on for short periods of time?

I helped a friend replace theirs, but it was a smaller version of the type you usually see. It was basically just a block of hardwood screwed on top of the steel plate. Do you have a pic of your current ones?

Cheers Liam - defo not bum molded types just plan flat.

Picture here -

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VyQp5mU-9lE/TH1Ul8YUECI/AAAAAAAAAaw/t7YqQAZ7oW0/s1600/IMG_0468.JPG

They dont look too bad in the picture but they are quite discoloured and look like they are only made of marine ply. They do spoil the look of the boat. Probably great when new and painted but 4 years on they look a bit tatty..

um, am I missing something here? What's wrong with sitting behind the tiller?

If this is another "cassette vs pumpout" type minefield then please say so and I'll shut up :)

at least one person has been killed by being swept over the counter when reversing. I would agree with MJG that it isn't dangerous going forward but it is a good habit to get into not to be that area

They are useful seats when moored however, especially if moored as we are now, in Vines Park, stern on, as they allow is to sit right at the back and chat to people

Sorry Martin, Ripple's are steel so I can't help, unless you want to buy the whole boat of us!

PS to add, they have prolonged the years that the elder Magpies can get on and off (my parents) as they provide a convenient steady hand hold in some cases. (They are 77 and 76, and not as good on their feet as they used to be)

On any boat there is aways a risk of falling off the back. The problem with having anything fixed to the back, be it a rail or a seat, is that at best it prevents you jumping clear of the propellor, at worst it causes you to fall head first into the Magimix! The counters on working boats were kept clear for a reason. I am sure the men working long hours those boats must have considered making a seat. I am sure also that the idea was rejected for safety reasons.

Right - lets get the disclaimer out of the way first -

I do know the risks associated with 'Taff' seats and rails.

Jan and I have done a fully documented risk assessment and on balance the Risk management and Health & Safety committee have agreed that the tops on ours can be replaced,

So to the question - does anybody know of or can recommend some body that could make us 2 taff rail/seat tops in hardwood.

We can supply the current ones as patterns. Boat moored in Derby area.

thanks in advance....

Why not just pop down to your local timber yard, note I said timber yard as apposed to a B&Q type place.

They will probably have pieces of Afromosa and Oak hanging around the place.

Nothing much is cutting out the shape and then it's down to elbow grease and glass paper!

Refit as before!

If using afromosa whish is probably what they will have laying about, then i would tend to go for a two pack varnish, but to be honest, any decent varnish will do as long as the recomendedr coats, or more, are applied.

Pity I live down here, as it wouldn't take long to knock em out for you.

Good luck.

Nipper

You have probably sorted out an answer by now & there is a guy at Bath Farmer's Market who makes bum shaped seats. His web site is www.guitar-stool.com.

His seats also incorporate guitar necks etc & I'm sure he would be able to make something non guitar like.

Cheers