Single Mantle Lanterns

The Anonymous Bard

Featured Posts

Hi,

I treated myself to a Coleman single mantle lantern last weekend which runs on unleaded... great for the first couple of times but now it won't light?

I've drained the fuel and pumped air through to ensure no air/fuel lock but to no avail and reading through the instructions it would appear that the likely cause is the generator as there is no vapour smell coming out of the feed at the top, and that this may need replacing but at sixty quid for the lantern and only a week in I might look for an alternative if it does turn out to be this and they are prone to it.

Anyone have any experience or know of reliable alternative brands?

Thanks.

Edited by The Anonymous Bard

Er don't really think you have "treated" yourself. My best guess would be take it back for a refund and replace it with a wind up torch !!

Yup, refund needed here largely because the unpredictability of a petrol-fuelled device makes them eminently unsuitable for a boat. The Coleman stove I had was lethally unpredictable and I hated it with a passion. We don't use the the lanterns on kids' camps anymore because they are unreliable. We do still use the gas mantle lamps for marquees, but for any other lighting use wind torches and lanterns as they are far safer.

Yup, refund needed here largely because the unpredictability of a petrol-fuelled device makes them eminently unsuitable for a boat.

To be fair OP does not say it's for boat use, but if it is, I can only agree.

I personally would always try and avoid having petrol on a boat for any reason whatsoever, and the regulations about even small quantities are for good reasons.

I used to use a Tilley lamp (so parrafin / kerosene, not petrol) on a boat many years ago, and, if I'm honest, even that was a bit of a risk. Surely petrol presents a greater risk, (I would have thought). I wouldn't do it now, (but I wouldn't have in-use LPG bottles inside the cabin with me now, either :o .....)

Hi,

I treated myself to a Coleman single mantle lantern last weekend which runs on unleaded... great for the first couple of times but now it won't light?

I've drained the fuel and pumped air through to ensure no air/fuel lock but to no avail and reading through the instructions it would appear that the likely cause is the generator as there is no vapour smell coming out of the feed at the top, and that this may need replacing but at sixty quid for the lantern and only a week in I might look for an alternative if it does turn out to be this and they are prone to it.

Thanks.

We bought a lantern from wilkinsons, its an led one, you have three ways to use it, you can wind it up for a minute and it last for 15 minutes, or you can plug it into cigerette lighter and it charges itself and lasts 3-4 hours, or put batteries in it, we left the boat closed the curtains left the lantern switched on all day and night with it plugged into cigerette lighter and it worked fine on 24/7 for 2 days..And only cost £6 i think..what a bargain..

Hi,

Thanks.

We also had a Coleman petrol (lead free gasoline) lamp for emergencies in the days when we had a rural property with a dodgy electricity supply. It proved to be reliable and dependable provided we used the Coleman branded fuel supplied in sealed containers. It failed when we used ordinary unleaded and, subsequently, we were advised that this was most likely caused by impurities in the fuel. We also had two ex-British Railways Tilley Lamps (we still have one of them) these ran/run on paraffin vapour and are a bit more fiddly to start using methylated spirits etc. but they are better made and infinitely superior. Here is a link to the Tilley website:

http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk/

We keep our British made Tilley X246B Storm Light on the boat but it is empty with all the fuel and the lighting kit safely stored in robust sealed containers. It is here mainly for decoration (polished brass) and for use in real emergencies - it produces an excellent bright light (and some heat) when in use, it will burn for about eight hours on a single filling and will survive the wettest and windiest conditions. Also, it can still be used even after it has been fully immersed in water - we have had that experience following the 'hurricane' over the South Downs in 1987. The other advantage of the Tilley is the ready availability of spare parts and service kits.

I have a Coleman pressure lamp, runs on unleaded petrol or Coleman fuel. I think your problems are probalby caused by dirty fuel. But if you de pressurize the lamp, then turn the on / off tap from fully closed to fully open a few times, that should clean the vaporiser jet.

I also have about 3 Tilley lamps. These are great, with readily available spares from Tilley. They are not difficult to start provided you carry out the procedure properly.

Soak the pre heater in meths by total immersion. Place on the lamp and light. When has nearly burnt all the meths give 20 pumps and open the tap. Lamp should then light.

They have the benefit of giving both light and heat, and are only dangerous if you misuse them and do not maintain them properly. LED lights do not give off any significant heat.

I am looking for a Tilley Paraffin powered iron. Anybody got a good one?

Keith

Tilley lamps and parts can be obtained on eBay - I have just looked and there are 272 results found for 'Tilley Lamp' - but beware! Not all the items on offer are genuine Tilley parts and, to be safe, a Tilley Lamp needs to be in sound condition. Common faults found on pre-owned Tilleys are 'blown' brass tanks that have, at some time, been over-pressurised and burned enamel where the lamp has been seriously overheated. Some of the older models are very attractive from a decorative point of view but may need servicing if they are to be used.

I have a small (well, a bit over 100) collection of pressure lamps. The problem with the Coleman is (probably) a blocked generator/vapouriser; whilst they will operate on unleaded petrol, the vaporisation process leads to a carbon-type residue which clogs it up; the claims that this is due to “dirty” fuel is rarely true. A week or so use is not much, so it may be worth looking for another cause or, at least, clearing the jet. Coleman fuel (extortionately expensive), panel wipe (used for cleaning before paint spraying) and Aspen 4T (a clean motor mower fuel) are all better in this respect.

However, for reliability and reasonable performance, the best option is a Bialaddin/Vapalux; these are similar to the better-known Tilley lamp and run on paraffin after being pre-heated with methylated spirit. They are very well made – certainly far superior to any modern Tilley. I have yet to find one that cannot be brought back to life with relatively little effort. Paraffin is a reasonably safe fuel; I have a lantern on-board which I will use occasionally, but I would not leave one unattended for long.

I also have a couple of Tilley paraffin irons which work reasonably well but whether they are a practical option is perhaps another matter. They are surprisingly heavy and can lead to unwarranted claims that freshly laundered clothes have acquired a paraffin-type odour.

I have a small (well, a bit over 100) collection of pressure lamps. The problem with the Coleman is (probably) a blocked generator/vapouriser; whilst they will operate on unleaded petrol, the vaporisation process leads to a carbon-type residue which clogs it up; the claims that this is due to "dirty" fuel is rarely true. A week or so use is not much, so it may be worth looking for another cause or, at least, clearing the jet. Coleman fuel (extortionately expensive), panel wipe (used for cleaning before paint spraying) and Aspen 4T (a clean motor mower fuel) are all better in this respect.

However, for reliability and reasonable performance, the best option is a Bialaddin/Vapalux; these are similar to the better-known Tilley lamp and run on paraffin after being pre-heated with methylated spirit. They are very well made – certainly far superior to any modern Tilley. I have yet to find one that cannot be brought back to life with relatively little effort. Paraffin is a reasonably safe fuel; I have a lantern on-board which I will use occasionally, but I would not leave one unattended for long.

I also have a couple of Tilley paraffin irons which work reasonably well but whether they are a practical option is perhaps another matter. They are surprisingly heavy and can lead to unwarranted claims that freshly laundered clothes have acquired a paraffin-type odour.

ian, Would you be prepared to sell one of your Tilley irons? To a good home where it would be used in anger?

K

ian, Would you be prepared to sell one of your Tilley irons? To a good home where it would be used in anger?

K

Ahh. Now you're making the all too common mistake of thinking that all Tilley irons/lamps/lanterns are much the same! I have a Tilley DN250 (mainly cream colour with a bit of chrome) and a DN250A (mainly chrome with a bit of cream (or red)); quite different. There is also a rather earlier model known as the DN6...but I don't have that one, sadly. Somewhere I have a Coleman (petrol) iron and a gas (lpg?) one too, but these are unimportant.

I'll keep an eye open for one for you too use - they do turn up. If anyone badly needs a lantern or table lamp, then let me know as I need to reduce the pile somewhat as CC beckons next year. I'd like to keep the majority of my collection in storage, but the duplicates will have to go.

Ian

Well, just by way of an update...

Had it in pieces and checked the generator, re-assembled it and still nothing.

Took it back to shop for advice but no joy, just blank expressions and the offer to return it back to the manufacturer as a warranty claim as it was classed as used

Now, given that this has happened after only using the damn thing twice I am thinking that it is going to spend the vast majority of it's life travelling back to the manufacturers for warranty claims, hence it has now been drained of fuel and is residing in the most suitable place for it...

The bin!

Note to self: Don't buy such utter rubbish again before asking around.

Section 1 of the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 substantially updated section 14 of the 1979 Act. ‘Satisfactory quality’ is now defined by section 14(2A) - ‘goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances’.

Satisfactory quality’ is further defined by section 14(2B) of the 1979 Act, so that the quality of goods ‘includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods –

[a] fitness for all purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

appearance and finish,

[c] freedom from minor defects,

[d] safety, and

[e] durability’

If goods are not of a ‘satisfactory quality’ or ‘reasonably fit for their purpose’ the law provides you with remedies. Legal remedies or options include – the right to reject the goods (return them and ask for a refund – section 15B, 1979 Act), and/or seek damages and treat the contract as repudiated (ended).

To be fit for purpose a lamp must be able to provide illumination. A lamp that doesn't work isn't a lamp and therefore fails the requirements of the sale goods act on so many levels so...................

Get it out of the bin and demand a refund. Take no nonsense from the seller about referring the defective goods to the manufacturer - that's a matter between the seller and the manufacturer and is of little or no concern to the buyer. Your contract was with the seller, not the manufacturer.

HN

edited for sausage finger tryping

Edited by happynomad

We also had a Coleman petrol (lead free gasoline) lamp for emergencies in the days when we had a rural property with a dodgy electricity supply. It proved to be reliable and dependable provided we used the Coleman branded fuel supplied in sealed containers. It failed when we used ordinary unleaded and, subsequently, we were advised that this was most likely caused by impurities in the fuel. We also had two ex-British Railways Tilley Lamps (we still have one of them) these ran/run on paraffin vapour and are a bit more fiddly to start using methylated spirits etc. but they are better made and infinitely superior. Here is a link to the Tilley website:

http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk/

We keep our British made Tilley X246B Storm Light on the boat but it is empty with all the fuel and the lighting kit safely stored in robust sealed containers. It is here mainly for decoration (polished brass) and for use in real emergencies - it produces an excellent bright light (and some heat) when in use, it will burn for about eight hours on a single filling and will survive the wettest and windiest conditions. Also, it can still be used even after it has been fully immersed in water - we have had that experience following the 'hurricane' over the South Downs in 1987. The other advantage of the Tilley is the ready availability of spare parts and service kits.

Thank you Graham.

When I was living on Southam Tilley parts did their hens teeth impression due, so I was told, to a fire at the factory. I thought they'd gone bust.

Guess what I'll be buying next payday :)

Thank you Graham.

When I was living on Southam Tilley parts did their hens teeth impression due, so I was told, to a fire at the factory. I thought they'd gone bust.

And then having considered the rest of the thread... methinks I'll pm Ian tomorrow!

Thank you Graham.

The company had a few problems after they accepted a government grant to relocate to Northern Ireland - they have now re-established themselves, albeit on a much smaller scale, back in Surrey.

Thank you Graham.

Yes, I remember the factory fire, when news of who still had parts in stock was muttered in hushed tones over campfires.

All sorted now!

However, to echo an earlier comment...

Bialladin/Vapalux M1B beats a Tilley 246 hands down.

We used Tilleys on Jake 24/7/365 for probably 8 years until we moved back onto the land.

They do produce loads of light, and good heat in the Winter, but we found you get through vaporisers at a rate. Probably a new one every 6 months.

If you don't change it, the light pulsates, making it awkward to read. But they are cheap to run.