Now I'm paranoid...

parasal

Featured Posts

After debacle of locks and rudder damage getting down to Bristol followed by hull survey and consequent results, I was excited to put my newly blacked lovely afloat and be on my way back up the river to the canal- not so!

It seems that oop front at the pointy end the deck floor is not fully welded to the joists leaving a lovely big area to collect tonnes and tonnes of water when she is pulled up a slip and the water dashes in through the deck drains! The water sits there hiding under the floor, lockers and all the crap I keep in them, added to by the rain, until once again it is added to when she goes back in. On levelling out once afloat the water scurries to the back and begins to overwhelm the boat as it draws her below the water level! I arrive to the dock to see her listing badly and to all intense and purposes, sinking!

I saunter over(leg it across the yard, over several boats and aboard!) to find her somewhat moist and merrily begin to bale as she is winched back from whence she came!

I'm so glad I put all my valuable and special stuff on the floor to stop it from falling when winched up cos I really don't need my lovely digital radio, Telly, DVD player and assorted books and documents!

I drank cider later, and copious amounts of it too!

Sometimes, drink is the only resolve... :lol: You're not having much luck are you? At least you managed to bail out the water? Maybe a cheap hand operated bilge pump might be worthwhile. I will be buying one off those next... :lol: The recent rain has seen my boat collect a few buckets worth of water.

Sometimes, drink is the only resolve... :lol: You're not having much luck are you? At least you managed to bail out the water? Maybe a cheap hand operated bilge pump might be worthwhile. I will be buying one off those next... :lol: The recent rain has seen my boat collect a few buckets worth of water.

I lent mine to a friend....... :lol:

After debacle of locks and rudder damage getting down to Bristol followed by hull survey and consequent results, I was excited to put my newly blacked lovely afloat and be on my way back up the river to the canal- not so!

It seems that oop front at the pointy end the deck floor is not fully welded to the joists leaving a lovely big area to collect tonnes and tonnes of water when she is pulled up a slip and the water dashes in through the deck drains! The water sits there hiding under the floor, lockers and all the crap I keep in them, added to by the rain, until once again it is added to when she goes back in. On levelling out once afloat the water scurries to the back and begins to overwhelm the boat as it draws her below the water level! I arrive to the dock to see her listing badly and to all intense and purposes, sinking!

I saunter over(leg it across the yard, over several boats and aboard!) to find her somewhat moist and merrily begin to bale as she is winched back from whence she came!

I'm so glad I put all my valuable and special stuff on the floor to stop it from falling when winched up cos I really don't need my lovely digital radio, Telly, DVD player and assorted books and documents!

I drank cider later, and copious amounts of it too!

When things go wrong I buy a hat - am wearing one in the office right now, the result of 2 different vehicles both owned by us and both breaking down on the motorway within a week of each other. On the first month that my husand has had a decent job for a year......oh I do drink a lot as well !!

When things go wrong I buy a hat - am wearing one in the office right now, the result of 2 different vehicles both owned by us and both breaking down on the motorway within a week of each other. On the first month that my husand has had a decent job for a year......oh I do drink a lot as well !!

Off to the hat shop.....just been down to the boat and all the floors are lifting and cupboards and worktops warping.....make mine a large one too! :lol: :lol:

Off to the hat shop.....just been down to the boat and all the floors are lifting and cupboards and worktops warping.....make mine a large one too! :lol: :lol:

I have still got my hat on, its pouring with rain and I discovered I am overdrawn - how many hats can one girl wear.

That's really terrible, you poor thing.

Richard

I always thought that when taking a boat out of the water on a slipway, it should be done 'bow first' precisely so that the scenario of water entering the cockpit via the drains didn't happen.

'S still scary when you get stuck back in briefly, backwards, without the weed hatch cover on... :lol:

PC

Good grief. That sounds like it was badly flooded, rather than water in the bilge, under the floor. What are the cupboards and worktops made of? Perhaps when it all dries out, they will settle again?

Taking the bottom into account, maybe it's better to save up for a new boat, rather than a new bottom?

I always thought that when taking a boat out of the water on a slipway, it should be done 'bow first' precisely so that the scenario of water entering the cockpit via the drains didn't happen.

Although I have heard of cases where the engine then gets knackered because of water up the exhaust pipe !

(And yes, we are due to be slipped in a few weeks, and yes, our exhaust is only a few inches above water line - makes mental note to measure outlet for acquisition of suitable cork or rubber bung!)