BW Workboats - Online Auction

Josher

Featured Posts

Might be worth it, if that's a combined price for the two of them. :rolleyes:

Bro and I viewed both Aynho and Carnaby, and felt that the conversions (ie shortening and engines installed in back cabin) were not particularly tastefully/carefully done. We'd probably have kept either short, but moved the engine to the right place.

However, if you were prepared to UNDO that conversion properly, and do a rivetted extension back to 70', you have a pukka 1930s town class big Woolwich. How good would that be :cheers: .

PS the Narrow Boat Afloat pre-quel series where he restores Dover, is being shown this weekend on Quest TV.

Congratulations.....

Looks more than a bit interesting, but my knowledge of BCN boats not good enough to fully identify it.

Have you been able to work out it's origins or age, please ?

Erm; no, in a word. Not got that far yet I'm afraid. :P

We think she's one of the 1890 Bantock station boats, but that's all off of her photos.

Details of the newest member of Linnets fleet will, no doubt, appear on here when we find them

TBH I haven't actually seen the boat in person :wub: it just seemed like a good idea at the time...

TBH I haven't actually seen the boat in person :wub: it just seemed like a good idea at the time...

Wonderful !

No full survey, then ? :lol:

I'm no expert, but I thought I'd previously seen it said that early Bantocks have traditional type guards to the front, and the use of that kind of "four inch wide plate with a bead down the middle", (sorry, I'm sure it has a proper name!), came later.

That said, when we bought this boat in the 1970s, we were told it was 1898, but it has the same arrangement as yours.

These days, I'm not sure I believe the description we were given was right, though.

Kerbau_at_Stoke_Bruerne.jpg

Wonderful !

Yeah, we did a full survey :P "...and that's the front end" "Are those holes in the bow?" "Yeah, 'fraid so" "Fair enough"

When I get the old girl back safe in the water I'll start rooting out her history.

Watch this space for updates! :)

Wonderful !

I'm no expert, but I thought I'd previously seen it said that early Bantocks have traditional type guards to the front, and the use of that kind of "four inch wide plate with a bead down the middle", (sorry, I'm sure it has a proper name!), came later.

That said, when we bought this boat in the 1970s, we were told it was 1898, but it has the same arrangement as yours.

It's called a 'bulb flat', I believe.

That does look like the later style all-metal Bantock, and late 1890s dates seem to be common for them. Herr Hogg can probably give more info.

Tim

Re "Ohm"

I looked at this earlier this year in view to proposing TWT take it as a static exhibit.

First this may not be a Bantock. It lacks the early features associated with early Bantocks. It was built I think around 1820-40 and is similar to a boat called "equus" which has a very similar fore end. It may originally have had a wooden lower strake. When I examined this boat last May and advised TWT that it ought to be preserved, the reason being it has always been in the hands of the BCN Co and its successors. It was built as a spoon dredger and remained so for a long time. From memory (and checking with stats Guru PH) it had some three succesive gaugings and was renumbered each time. Sadly it got shortened probably to work with a bantam tug.

The hull is awful, it was deemed "beyond economic repair" by BW and was sinking constantly. They dumped it at Icknield port quite a while ago so it has stood a long time but did not fill with water as it has holes. It is very thin in places and my suggestion to TWT was it should only be considered as a static exhibit out of the water.

Whilst nicely shaped and historic, renovation will be expensive and a mountain to climb, the boat is of course "Blackhearth iron" which can be difficult to weld but can be done by an expert with the right kit.

I dont know what it went for but I valued it at 500 max at the time. Its certainly a boat which should have been looked at before any serious bid was placed.

Erm; no, in a word. Not got that far yet I'm afraid. :P

We think she's one of the 1890 Bantock station boats, but that's all off of her photos.

Details of the newest member of Linnets fleet will, no doubt, appear on here when we find them

Your mad! But i like it. Congrats.

Its certainly a boat which should have been looked at before any serious bid was placed.

With that I most wholeheartedly agree :) It wasn't a sensible move leaping in like this.

As it was, the opportunity didn't arise for me to see the boat in person and so I've taken a gamble with advice and support from friends and family.

I'm usually given trial by fire ;)

(edited for numpty spelling)

Edited by Kez

Re "Ohm"

I looked at this earlier this year in view to proposing TWT take it as a static exhibit.

First this may not be a Bantock. It lacks the early features associated with early Bantocks. It was built I think around 1820-40

Given that Robert Bell's patent for boats constructed using rolled iron knees was only approved in 1822 the claim of 1820-40 is a little hyperbolic.... or this is a very important boat indeed.

Edited by Chris Pink

Given that Robert Bell's patent for boats constructed using rolled iron knees was only approved in 1822 the claim of 1820-40 is a little hyperbolic.... or this is a very important boat indeed.

On "Equus" we found a plate which was marked with a company name, on tracing that company back it was found to have operated for a very short period of time in the early /mid 1800's from mermory so making the plate if used new in the boat a good marker 1863 would have been the latest building date. Ohm has three BCN plates but as always the original reg is missing with just the later re write being available, one thig is for sure, its a very early boat worthy of presrvation.

• 5 months later...

I won't say too much as I don't want to steal Kerry's thunder and I'm sure she will be along later with more info...

But 'Butty' or 'Ohm' was lifted out of Icknield Port just earlier today and is having it's seatbelt fitted before the trick back to Crick on the back of Tuckey's lorry.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

But 'Butty' or 'Ohm' was lifted out of Icknield Port just earlier today and is having it's seatbelt fitted before the trick back to Crick on the back of Tuckey's lorry.

Should that have been the "trick back to Crip" ?? :wacko: :wacko:

It seems to have gone to a good Ohm......

(COAT!........)