Canal Route Planner

Featured Posts

I'm starting to plan my journey from Chester/Nantwich to Banbury in September. I assumed I'd head down the Shroppie towards the Staffs & Worcester, through Birmingham, onto the northern end of the Stratford and finally via Hatton Flight towards the Oxford Canal. The reverse of this route is what I would have taken on the way to Chester last year, had the Shroppie not had a big hole in it at the time!

However when putting the start and end locations into Canal Planner, it comes up with an 11 day cruise via the Trent & Mersey for my 65ft boat. Is there another hole in the Shroppie I didn't know about? Or is the a little stumpy lock en route that I can't fit my boat in?

I'm starting to plan my journey from Chester/Nantwich to Banbury in September. I assumed I'd head down the Shroppie towards the Staffs & Worcester, through Birmingham, onto the northern end of the Stratford and finally via Hatton Flight towards the Oxford Canal. The reverse of this route is what I would have taken on the way to Chester last year, had the Shroppie not had a big hole in it at the time!

However when putting the start and end locations into Canal Planner, it comes up with an 11 day cruise via the Trent & Mersey for my 65ft boat. Is there another hole in the Shroppie I didn't know about? Or is the a little stumpy lock en route that I can't fit my boat in?

Chances are it's taken one look at all those locks through Birmingham and decided the other way is quicker

I just tried your route on my Canal Planner and got the same answer as you.

However if you add a 'via' location of Lapworth it should give you the answer you want.

I'm sure there are no 'small' locks on either route.

Personally I would also favour the Birmingham route

We'll be going opposite ways, say hello when you pass!

(I look nothing like Uncle Jesse, in case you're wondering).

I however have exactly the same hooter as a Clanger.

Curiously, I've just puy this into canal plan, with all default settings, and it too the Birmingham Route :lol:

It does it right if as recommended above I put in "via lapworth"

I think we did that trip-ish at the end of May, Whaley Bridge to Banbury via Manchester Piccadilly and then down the Shroppie.

Up the Wolverhampton 21 thru Birmingham in a 60 ft boat no problems except leaking locks on the 21 and debris on the bottom being too close to the top.

Got fouled 5 times, stalled the engine twice (bicycle & car tyre)

Don't recall any short locks ??

Just run it with sixty five feet and it still goes via Brum :lol:

most odd...

It shouldn't make any difference anyway, the most southerly "short" lock is near Sheffield :lol:

Brandon Lock on the River Little Ouse is only 45'

Tim

Just as well you said that, otherwise I'd be thinking "god, I never realised she was so butch..." :lol:

Well, I'm better with 12v electrics than him... and gearboxes... so maybe the butchest one of the two is me! (Incidentally he bakes cakes and donuts for a living, which is suitably girly). But I'm the one with pink pimped galley!

Baking isn't a girly job at all! Up at 5am, lugging sacks of flour about so we all have cake for elevenses. I wish I had a practical bone in my body for any of the things you just mentioned.

I'm the scruffy man, on the scruffy, tiny red & green boat with a canoe on the roof and a spotlessly clean black and tan dog. Say hello if you see me. :lol:

Baking isn't a girly job at all! Up at 5am, lugging sacks of flour about so we all have cake for elevenses. I wish I had a practical bone in my body for any of the things you just mentioned.

I'm the scruffy man, on the scruffy, tiny red & green boat with a canoe on the roof and a spotlessly clean black and tan dog. Say hello if you see me. :lol:

Will do!

Brandon Lock on the River Little Ouse is only 45'

Tim

It is, and I know that. Welches Dam is also only about 40 feet long

But for the purposes of BSP's question, my answer was accurate enough

(mind, we now own a boat short enough to go through Brandon Lock... hmmmmm)

http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/waterway...te-planning.php

Try this one - I prefer it's clean look.

I asked for a route between Norbury Junction on the Shroppie and Bradford-on-Avon on the Kennet & Avon and it wants to send me via Sharpness and the Severn Estuary to Bristol!

No wonder it has this disclaimer:

Disclaimer

River Canal Rescue do not accept responsibility for any errors or inaccuracies in the information provided when using the Route planner, use of and any actions taken based on the information provided remain the sole responsibility of the user.