Shrouding a prop...

Featured Posts

A while ago on here after the terrible accident involving a hire boater killed when she fell over the back of her boat suffering injuries from the prop there was some discussion about how such injuries could be prevented.

I recall me asking about why could not props be shrouded to prevent contact between the blades and a person in the water but don't recall seeing a reply if the could be or couldn't.

On the way back from Zebrugge to Hull this morning aboard the 'Pride of Bruges' I took the following shot of the prop as fitted to her lifeboats -

IMG_0414.jpg

and it got me thinking again why such a shroud could be fitted to NB's ?? Obviously a lifeboat is going to be in a situation where there is potentially a lot of people in the water around it - but it struck me that such a simple and cost effective mod could be universally applied.

does anybody know if such a thing would or would not be practical??

The props on my boat are "shrouded" well, they are in tunnels formed as part of the hull but this is to protect the props when the boat was carrying out rescues in shallow water.

I haven't trapped anything in the prop yet but, if it happens, I don't imagine it will be a pleasant task unwedging the offending article.

Doesn't look like its there for the safety reason, looks like a type of Kort nozzle that directs the flow instead of a rudder.

Having worked on cruise ships for many years....and using lifeboats..I can add 'whats missing from this picture ?'

Aha......a rudder.

Bob

Even if you could easily deal with one of the dangers of falling off the back of a boat, that still leaves drowning, head injuries, getting crushed... Yes, we could also all wear helmets and lifejackets all the time. But the best and only truly effective safety measure is to make sure that you're standing where you can't fall or be knocked off the boat.