VHS

Gary Peacock

Featured Posts

I am still battling on with my www.canalboatbits.co.uk site and this weeks project is electrical goods we have access to quite a nice range of 12v and small 230v products including quite a few VHS video players.

Now I don't and haven't had a video at home for quite a while now so the question really comes down does any body actually use video anymore? If not I will concentrate on the DVD products instead.

I am still battling on with my www.canalboatbits.co.uk site and this weeks project is electrical goods we have access to quite a nice range of 12v and small 230v products including quite a few VHS video players.

Now I don't and haven't had a video at home for quite a while now so the question really comes down does any body actually use video anymore? If not I will concentrate on the DVD products instead.

WE still use a video but probably wouldn't replace it when it expires. Likely to get dvd recorder as prices are tumbling.

Not video, not for quite a while now. My daughter still uses them in her TV video combo in her room, but only for playing old stuff she already has. Anything new is DVD. Including recording, copying etc. now days.

My daughter still uses them in her TV video combo in her room, but only for playing old stuff she already has. Anything new is DVD.

Ditto.

I keep meaning to copy some of the dozens of old VHS tapes I never watch onto more convenient and space-saving DVDs which I'll never watch, but the VHS is currently disconnected.

When I get farther into putting stuff back into our boat I'll probably fit the kids a personal DVD player each. Probably shouldn't encourage them too much, but with the prices plummeting they're an absolute godsend.

Well I might just include one VHS player then for nostalgia and the "down memory lane brigade" ;)

It will have to be a top loader of course, requiring removal of front doors to get into lounge area. Useful ballast though. Oh and of course one of those wire type remotes that were never quite long enough (must stop watching Peter Kaye). ;)

We still have our trusty VHS recorder, now about 12years old, and has non of its origanal electrolitcs.

- At the moment, we still use it, although only really for short-term time-shifting, and the (£25) DVD player for playing DVD's which we rent online, stuff recorded of the telly using the computer.

- But we are at the moment looking to replace it with a HDD based dvd recorder in the next few months.

- We certainly wont be buying a new VHS.

Daniel

I've still got a couple of VHS recorders at home.

Although I use a DVD-RAM recorder for most of my time-shifting, there are occasions when I want to record 2 programs. e.g. tonight! My wife is going out, but wants both Rome & Life in the undergrowth recorded.

For the price of a VHS recorder these days, it is handy to have one.

Hard disk recorders are te way to go though. When I bought my DVD recorder a couple of years ago they were still into four figures.

Now a thirty something geek I have a PVR unit for recording from TV - http://www.mythtv.org/

Only DVD's and AVI's for me, which are usually played through a games console.

I like the look of this, it looks a far better product that M$ XP Media Edition.

I realise I could wade through the MythTV site, but what hardware do I need?

Looks great.

;)

VHS players are the bizz when it comes to recording programmes,after all now a days with the price of dvd recorders costing large sums,I believe that the VHS format has got to be a deffinate cheap option.Combination players are even better,having the best of both worlds,I bought a dvd player for my boat from tesco's for 19 quid,cant moan at that,and the video player recorders,dont cost a heap more.

nowadays with the price of dvd recorders costing large sums, I believe that the VHS format has got to be a definite cheap option.

Sorry, I beg to differ.

DVD recorder prices are falling rapidly, I paid over £200 this time last year but I'm sure you can get one now under-a-ton.

Also, no tape based carrier can ever be convenient. Quite apart from wear and degradation and the chance of the tape getting wrapped around the capstans, it's wonderful with disc systems, be it CD, DVD or minidisc, to be able to jump straight to the track or chapter you want without having to wait while your VHS winds to the place you want.

Though how long will it be before we don't use any physical carriers at all, I mean, my entire CD collection and a good bit of my vinyl (remember that?) has now been converted to pure data, and I've currently got 16 days continuous music in my pocket.

Ade.

PS: Welcome back Pirate, it has been quiet without you ;)

I despise VHS with a passion, and done even get me started on floppy disks!!!

The whole "tape control" "video plus" "LP/SP" "add 10mins for overrun" "head cleaning" - And the fact that there just plain HUGE!!!

- We have about 4meters of VHS tapes, standing end, in cardboard sleaves, taking up the whole wall behind the TV.

- And then two fabric 48 disc cases holding twice the lenght of, twice as high quality, footage!

Yes, the is still a place for VHS, there are some people who done have, or dont want tp spend £100 on a DVD/HDD recorder, but do have the £40 for a VHS recoerder, and want to record TV.

- But beleve that the major majority of these people have a VHS recorder already, and wont be buy another.

- Or else, like a lot of people, they have skyplus, so they already have a HDD recorder, they just done know it!

Daniel

- Or else, like a lot of people, they have skyplus, so they already have a HDD recorder, they just done know it!

Daniel

i hate sky as much as you hate vhs.

you must exit live pause to do this or that,two rogrammes being recorded at once and i have not even pressed to record anything.

i was reduced to turning all tv equipment off sky box,vhs, dvd player play station and the telly,then i phoned the kids up to tell me what to do.

sky planner my ar*e. ;)

Saw on the gadget show a while ago a bit about current technology in Japan. Apparently there is a hard disk recorder, with terabytes of capacity, that continuously records and stores 24 hours of over 70 channels, 6 of which are High Def.

Apparently there is a hard disk recorder ....that continuously records and stores 24 hours of over 70 channels

WHY?

I'm sure I saw somewhere that they reckon 85% of programmes recorded for later viewing onto VHS or DVD or whatever never get watched anyway.

In any case, how much TV is actually worth watching, or how much do we (and unfortunately I include myself) watch simply because it's on?