Apollo Duck

Proper Job

Featured Posts

Flicked on to Apollo Duck (as you do now and again) and I couldn't help noticing that the number of Narrowboats advertised has now exceeded 1000. It wasn't so long ago that the number hovered around the 700 mark.

I know that some of them are no longer for sale, but as a trend, there is a lot on the market at the moment?

I regularly look at the new arrivals on the Duck. They make fascinating reading, from the appealing bargains, through the solidly run-of-the-mill, the hopelessly overpriced (35-foot Springer for just £27,000, Guv?) to the frankly odd. I don't know how long AD has been in business, but some of the advertised craft must have been on sale almost since the site's inception. I wonder if the large number of boats for sale on there at present means that the site has a good reputation and thus has attracted sellers, or that boat sales are very slow at the moment, or both?

Edited by Athy

Not sure about narrowboats, but cruisers seem to be selling well and not just the bottom end of the market either. The borkerage at our marina is crying out for boats to sell. The good ones are selling as soon as they get them in. This is across the price range from £500k to £5k.

I recall commenting early in my blogging 'career' (2006?) that the figure had risen to c. 400. So yes, there definitely seems to be an upward trend.

I suppose a lot could be forced sales. In hard times the boat will be the first luxury to go if you own a home as well.

You can spot those, Phylis - they're the ones which, after three months, bear the words "Still further dramatic reduction" or similar. I do think that the sellers must be desperate when I read those.

Or, of course, they may be the ones who started off trying to sell a 35 foot Springer for £27,000 and are only now discovering the reality of the boat market.

The comment "genuine reason for sale" , often included in a seller's blurb, does baffle me. Why would anyone think that they were selling for fake reasons?

I've noticed more "For Sale" signs in boat windows this year than I've ever seen before. On some moorings there were two or three boats in a row up for sale. Nothing professional, just "For Sale", price and a mobile phone number. I hope that's not the only advert these owners have for their boats as I can't believe many sell just from a sign in the window!

Over 1000?, not really a surprise, but in my opinion 90% overpriced rubbish boats. The trouble is that the boats last 20 years or more and the owners don't spend much on them over their lives and think that a boat they bought for £30k 15 years ago is now worth £60k and they have spent nothing to update the boat. Not only that they think they will sell it on the Duck from a free advert. Dream on

Charles

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that a lot of boats on Apollo Duck are overpriced/rubbish. There are a small number of reasonable ones that turn around quite quickly, the rest languish on there for months or years. I am currently having a speculative look at boats for sale, with a view to buying one in the next few months (hopefully).

Can anyone recommend good sites/brokers/other places to search? Looking in the lower end price range, pribably 38-45ft, less than £25k.

Cheers

Ellie

I agree that a lot of boats on Apollo Duck are overpriced/rubbish. There are a small number of reasonable ones that turn around quite quickly, the rest languish on there for months or years. I am currently having a speculative look at boats for sale, with a view to buying one in the next few months (hopefully).

Can anyone recommend good sites/brokers/other places to search? Looking in the lower end price range, pribably 38-45ft, less than £25k.

Cheers

Ellie

Try mine :lol:

It may partly be the fact that the boat market has belatedly discovered the advantages of selling otherwise than through a broker. Whilst there are some good ones, some are dire.

And none of them are cheap.