Fuses and things...

Featured Posts

Ihave just been reading Drunkensailor's epic plus replies on the why and wherefores of the fuse box.

It made me quite sad to know that I will not be one of the great canal people any more since my boat got the thumbs down from the surveyor today.

Anyone want a boat going cheep? :lol:

Edited by Theo

Ihave just been reading Drunkensailor's epic plus replies on the why and wherefores of the fuse box.

It made me quite sad to know that I will not be one of the great canal people any more since my boat got the thumbs down from the surveyor today.

Anyone want a boat going cheep? :lol:

For why, Jeeves, for why?

PC

Epic plus replies? Well, Liza, I am flattered. Do you want to see my paraffin lamps later?*:lol:

It's not the end of the world. Is it a boat you're buying? What does it need? If it needs a lot of work, you can get that off the asking price. If it is too much work, you've had a lucky escape.

If it's your own boat, at least you know. Nothing is that bad.

Ah, I see it is your boat.

Overplating is not as bad as it sounds. Shop around a bit, I have very often been surprised when I did.

* haven't fitted my striplights yet.

Edited by drunkensailor

Epic plus replies? Well, Liza, I am flattered. Do you want to see my paraffin lamps later?*:lol:

It's not the end of the world. Is it a boat you're buying? What does it need? If it needs a lot of work, you can get that off the asking price. If it is too much work, you've had a lucky escape.

If it's your own boat, at least you know. Nothing is that bad.

Ah, I see it is your boat.

Overplating is not as bad as it sounds. Shop around a bit, I have very often been surprised when I did.

* haven't fitted my striplights yet.

Thanks for the encouragement. The surveyor says, (perhaps I shouldn't say this - or I could change her name before advertising her for sale...) that I need to find something like £5-6k. I've asked for a quote from a boatyard so that will give me some idea. She still needs a lot of other work - it was all done beautifully inside but she carried on leaking through the gunwales so that work is now spoilt too. :lol:

I'm really sad as it was the first time I had taken her anywhere - and on my own - on Friday and I think I have really caught the bug now.

Thanks for the encouragement. The surveyor says, (perhaps I shouldn't say this - or I could change her name before advertising her for sale...) that I need to find something like £5-6k. I've asked for a quote from a boatyard so that will give me some idea. She still needs a lot of other work - it was all done beautifully inside but she carried on leaking through the gunwales so that work is now spoilt too. :lol:

I'm really sad as it was the first time I had taken her anywhere - and on my own - on Friday and I think I have really caught the bug now.

Liza, as you are in Warwickshire, have you asked Grantham Bridge Boat Services at Hillmorton? They did some work for us

Richard

There's no point in trying to hide the fact that it's a project. Potential buyers will need to see the survey or get one done for themselves.

Your problems are not insurmountable, though. If you really fancy a boat, why not get a tupperware one? Everything is much cheaper. If you sold your narrowboat you would probably have enough to pay for a nice little cruiser like a Dawncraft or a Norman, and some of them are very charming.

£3000 would buy you a good one.

There's no point in trying to hide the fact that it's a project. Potential buyers will need to see the survey or get one done for themselves.

Your problems are not insurmountable, though. If you really fancy a boat, why not get a tupperware one? Everything is much cheaper. If you sold your narrowboat you would probably have enough to pay for a nice little cruiser like a Dawncraft or a Norman, and some of them are very charming.

There is no way I am trying to hide anything - that's one reason I'm getting the quote done. That, plus the survey, will perhaps encourage someone to give me more than tuppence-ha'penny for her.

In regard to getting a tupperware jobbie - I might look at the possibility but I've got used to narrow-boating now. It was my first solo but not the first trip. It will depend on whether I can get a job in the next few months. When I retired I thought that would be it but now I am looking to spend money I need to get another income too.

Liza, as you are in Warwickshire, have you asked Grantham Bridge Boat Services at Hillmorton? They did some work for us

Richard

The quote I'm getting is from the wharf at Stretton but I have been told that , (sorry cannot recall his name) at Braunston could do the job more quickly. I'm nervous about taking her that far though after the surveyor has told them to check for leaks when they put her back in the water... :lol:

Lisa,

Surveyors vary. If you're sure the one you used was canal savvy then commiserations. If not then a second opinion may be worthwhile. That said if it's the thickness of the bottom plates there may not be much scope. Can you give uas any more details?

T.

Exactly what I would do if/when I can no longer afford a NB. I have seen loads of Dawncrafts that could have been easily restored get scrapped. Makes me sad.

Hope it works out for you Liza.

Edited by Guest

Lisa,

Surveyors vary. If you're sure the one you used was canal savvy then commiserations. If not then a second opinion may be worthwhile. That said if it's the thickness of the bottom plates there may not be much scope. Can you give uas any more details?

T.

The bottom is OK - not good but OK - it is the sides that need plating plus the bottom of the bit that sticks out above the rudder. The joint between the bottom and the side is what I have to watch out for.

Could you have the worst done now, and some later perhaps? I know that could be more expensive overall, but it could be kinder to your cash flow?

The bottom is OK - not good but OK - it is the sides that need plating plus the bottom of the bit that sticks out above the rudder. The joint between the bottom and the side is what I have to watch out for.

The joint between the bottom and the sides is exactly what we had trouble with. Ours is an ex-hire boat and the bottom gets worn away dragging along the sides, so the joint gets a bit thin. The solution for us was four shoes. This and some plating was about £2500 including hull blacking at Grantham Bridge.

Richard

The joint between the bottom and the sides is exactly what we had trouble with. Ours is an ex-hire boat and the bottom gets worn away dragging along the sides, so the joint gets a bit thin. The solution for us was four shoes. This and some plating was about £2500 including hull blacking at Grantham Bridge.

Richard

Four shoes?

Takes me back to where I first came in - someone said "four candles" to Drunkensailor and I have been watching a bit of TV and wondering, "who wants a fork on the canal?"

Four shoes?

Takes me back to where I first came in - someone said "four candles" to Drunkensailor and I have been watching a bit of TV and wondering, "who wants a fork on the canal?"

Shoes are long strips of steel welded to the bottom of the hull to replace the lost edge of the baseplate.

Don't despair yet, get some estimates. I was driven to distraction by what I saw when we had that problem and thought the boat was scrap. In the end it was a bill we could (just) afford

Richard

Shoes are long strips of steel welded to the bottom of the hull to replace the lost edge of the baseplate.

Don't despair yet, get some estimates. I was driven to distraction by what I saw when we had that problem and thought the boat was scrap. In the end it was a bill we could (just) afford

Richard

Cheers Richard

Do these 'shoes' come up the side at all?

Our old boat had had lengths of angle welded all the way along, which came a few inches up the sides.

The surveyor says I need to be plated up to the water line... well, not me as much as the boat!

I think that this topic will live more happily in Boat Build and Maintenance. I will leave a link here though...

I added a bit to the topic title just to be a bit clearer. Hope you don't mind, Liza

Nick

Edited by Theo
Add a bit