Boat Painting The Clanger Way

Featured Posts

Had you thought of painting boughts in the summer and leaving the soup for winter. There seems to be plenty of folk unwilling to do it themselves and most folk just want a decent job never mind the murals you could do for them too !!!

Edited by soldthehouse

Really nice painting Lisa. Maybe your fly-blasting preparation method will catch on soon.

How about a nice bit of signwriting next, complete with a visual pun; replace the t with an apostrophe and you've got Mabels'Ark - everyone would start calling you Mabel and asking where the animals had gone :lol:

Really nice painting Lisa. Maybe your fly-blasting preparation method will catch on soon.

How about a nice bit of signwriting next, complete with a visual pun; replace the t with an apostrophe and you've got Mabels'Ark - everyone would start calling you Mabel and asking where the animals had gone :lol:

Anything's better than being asked if you're Most Game!!!

Agree totally. Fancied a new look to the boat last autumn so stripped it back. Should of kept it simple, one colour plus coachlines. Would of been done long ago!

You make a very good point. For those of us who don't have the luxury of a paint shed, it is often best to keep it simple; one colour, and put the coachlines on as and when.

Look on the bright side - by coming up with a Fly Boat you are bringing back to the canals a piece of heritage that has otherwise disappeared!

Might even be able to get lottery funding, if you carry on.

Can anyone recommend a suitable varnish for protecting my little tiger? (And no, that's not a euphamism!) Ideally something I can get from a B&Q or a Halfords even? Spray would be easiest, but I'd settle for brush-on if I must!

Would spray be easiest? - I doubt it as you would have to mask all the adjoining paintwork first.

I'd go for a traditional *clear* yacht varnish, not the polyurethane stuff.

Good luck and can we have a photo of the finished job please?

ATB

Phil