3 months on narrow boat

richardsutton

Featured Posts

We're contemplating, on my retirement, taking to the water for 3 months early next year. Can't really afford to buy a boat and it wouldn't be viable to hire a boat for that time - any ideas would be MUCH appreciated!

Richard and 'the other crew-member'. Possibility of swap with our cottage near Bodmin Moor in sunny Cornwall ?

Edited by richardsutton

We're contemplating, on my retirement, taking to the water for 3 months early next year. Can't really afford to buy a boat and it wouldn't be viable to hire a boat for that time - any ideas would be MUCH appreciated!

Richard and 'the other crew-member'. Possibility of swap with our cottage near Bodmin Moor in sunny Cornwall ?

That could be feasible, I suppose - though I would think that three months on a boat during warmer months would be more fun . . .

and I'm fairly certain that Bodmin is more exciting in the Spring/summer too!"

What type of boat/level of comfort etc will you be prepared to accept? And how much are you prepared to pay?

What type of boat/level of comfort etc will you be prepared to accept? And how much are you prepared to pay?

Not really sure yet, ideally a 4 berth but could cope with 2 berth. Just an idea at present but getting more interested in the idea ! Thanks

That could be feasible, I suppose - though I would think that three months on a boat during warmer months would be more fun . . .

and I'm fairly certain that Bodmin is more exciting in the Spring/summer too!"

Thanks for that - yes we were thinking perhaps April thru until June. Bodmin Moor is great whatever the weather ( and I can lie through my teeth !)

Not really sure yet, ideally a 4 berth but could cope with 2 berth. Just an idea at present but getting more interested in the idea ! Thanks

Thanks for that - yes we were thinking perhaps April thru until June. Bodmin Moor is great whatever the weather ( and I can lie through my teeth !)

(Heh heh! - - I'm from Portreath - - - - I know what Bodmin can be like - - even in summer :lol: )

It might be worth contacting Cheshire Cat Boat Hire when I was talking to them earlier in the year they were talking about doing up one of there older boats for long term hire

Link to Cheshire Cat Boat Hire

Depending on your budget, how about:

- Buy cheap second hand boat (people here can advise you on where to find them and what to look for).

- Cruise it for 3 months

- Sell it (should get back more or less what you paid for it on, say, a 20-year old craft).

The only flaw in this is that at the end of the 3 months you will not want to sell it!

Message people that have had their boats on the market for ages. Some will be willing to rent it to you for a few months (while it remains on the market)

^^This. If it's early in the season, many will be quite happy to wait until later in the year to actually sell. They'll need to check with their insurance company, but it should be fine. We've been renting a boat that was up for sale for the last year.

Alternatively, if you can shift to a bit earlier in the year, we started off by asking a hire company if they wanted some free money out of season. Unsurprisingly, they said yes. Just make sure you go for a company that has solid fuel stoves on their boats. We didn't ... Brrrr!

Edited by ymu

^^This. If it's early in the season, many will be quite happy to wait until later in the year to actually sell. They'll need to check with their insurance company, but it should be fine. We've been renting a boat that was up for sale for the last year.

Alternatively, if you can shift to a bit earlier in the year, we started off by asking a hire company if they wanted some free money out of season. Unsurprisingly, they said yes. Just make sure you go for a company that has solid fuel stoves on their boats. We didn't ... Brrrr!

Thanks for all your help , let you know how things progress!

What do you mean 'brrr'..?

no heating at all?

It might be worth contacting Cheshire Cat Boat Hire when I was talking to them earlier in the year they were talking about doing up one of there older boats for long term hire

Link to Cheshire Cat Boat Hire

Thanks for that - we'llgive it a try.

Depending on your budget, how about:

- Buy cheap second hand boat (people here can advise you on where to find them and what to look for).

- Cruise it for 3 months

- Sell it (should get back more or less what you paid for it on, say, a 20-year old craft).

The only flaw in this is that at the end of the 3 months you will not want to sell it!

Thanks for that - interesting

Hi Richard I live in Wadebridge and I may be able to sort something out for you.

PM me if you are interested.

Regard's Paul

Have you thought of a fibreglass boat? Personally I love fibreglass boats even though I live aboard a steel cruiser. Sometimes I see fibreglass boats go past and some of them have been really looked after, diesel engines and all. Fibreglass boats can be gotten hold of quite cheaply and aren't too expensive to fix up. You can take a battered old boat worth 300 quid and turn it into a fantastic holiday boat.

What do you mean 'brrr'..?

no heating at all?

Just an eberspacher, with lots of big windows (and perhaps suboptimal insulation). It was cold again the moment you turned the heating off and the front bedroom never really got warm at all because the radiator was half-way into the corridor to accommodate the two-singles-or-a-double bed design. The toilet froze over occasionally... :lol:

Was a great way to start out though - we'll be forever grateful to the yard for trusting us, as they'd never done anything like that before, and neither had we! Living on a boat without a stove for 5 months over winter is an excellent way to make sure you really want to do it long-term!