Double Spacing

Featured Posts

It is a minor detail but I am always aware that the system does not allow a double or multiple spacing of words.  I have been brought up double space between sentances.   Or could it be my computer ?

John Squeers

I agree John the service always taught me to double space between sentences.

You could always use the multi space feature on you keyboard.

Just hit the space bar twice. :)

Edited by maffi mushkila

It's the web browser that 'does in' for the multiple spacing.

I have to do some serious jiggery pokery to get the web pages I write in work to perform properly. Using a fixed space font like courier new doesn't help either.

Edited by rustyduck

OK Maffi how did you do it?

First thought was to stick in a couple of spurious characters and then change the colour of the characters to white - noxxwhitexxinxxthexxcolourxxselection

Then I thought about increasing the font size of the space - doesn't work

OK Maffi how did you do it?

First thought was to stick in a couple of spurious characters and then change the colour of the characters to white - noxxwhitexxinxxthexxcolourxxselection

Then I thought about increasing the font size of the space - doesn't[.SIZE=14] [.SIZE=1]work

You are not paying attention. Had you 'quoted' my post all the code would have appeared in the quoted text as you were about to reply.

In an earlier post about tags & buttons I told you that several colours were available in addition to those listed, white was on my list [.color=white] but I said that it didn't work very well (because of the background) and yes I did enter a few full [.COLOR=white] ......................... [./COLOR]stops coloured white.

Yes Size=14 sp ace /size would work

but as you can see that changes the line spacing

you can use from [.size=1] upto [.size =23] (don't use the dots)

This is a bit of a tideous thing to do just to get a double space appearance.

Personally, I would live with single spacing.

my Colour list was [.color=xxxxx]

=lime

=white

=pink

=magenta

=cyan

and you can add

=brown I didn't try this before but as you can see it does work I am sure there are several other colours if you know which ones.

It's all a bit like how Word Perfect 5.1 (DOS) used to work. I was an expert with that program and rue the day when everything went "Windows".

You will now understand that I really do have a lot of free time on my hands and am wasting it.

Have fun!

Edited by maffi mushkila

Now for a bit of extra fun.

When you select a thread, on the top line to the right of where it says (in this case) Double Spacing there are three words "outline" "standard" and "linear" click on "outline" let the page refresh then scroll down and see the result.

I think you will like it, there is a list of senders and only the first few words of each post. It does actually save a lot of scrolling in the long run. This way you can reply to a specific post in a thread and it will appear under that post, tabbed in, a bit like a directory tree, and not at the bottom of the list. If you reply to someones reply to a reply :) that post appears tabbed in a bit further still. :)

It will appear something like this:-

John What happens if you get scared half to death twice.............

.l__Fred I don't know what does ...........

........l__Joseph I don't know either but..............

To make this work once you are in "outline" you must click the reply button on that particular post to which you wish to reply. To make it work really well everyone has to have "outline" set

Clicking "outline" on one thread will change the appearance in all threads

If you don't like what you see you just have to go back to the top and click "standard" to restore.

I do hope this all makes sense.

Edited by maffi mushkila

I used a forum in the past (not canals), for quite a long time and it was permanently set to the 'outline' format and you couldn't change it.

If you are not a computer 'buff' and/or dont have lots of time to 'play' rather than read, it was real easy to get totally lost in a long thread which had answers to 'previous' comments - ie back references, so you had threads within threads. :)

I would wander off along a branch, get to the end and had to find my way back again, to the main branch. By the time I'd got there - I'd forgotten the topic! :)

Mind you, it didn't have as good a layout as this.

Pete

It's the web browser that 'does in' for the multiple spacing.

I have to do some serious jiggery pokery to get the web pages I write in work to perform properly. Using a fixed space font like courier new doesn't help either.

Typically you will need to use <code> or <pre> html tags but I'm sure thats getting off topic!